Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-05, 19:46

New computer with firewire ports?

So I am looking for a new computer and I want to use firewire audio interfaces.
And about 10 years ago, every computer had firewire, but now I can't find a single one.

I am talking about Windows computers, not MAC's, but I actually even looked at an iMac and I didn't see a firewire (or 1394) listed in it's long description either.

So what do I have to do to get a new computer with firewire? Build my own?
Old 2012-12-05, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeever View Post
So I am looking for a new computer and I want to use firewire audio interfaces.
And about 10 years ago, every computer had firewire, but now I can't find a single one.

I am talking about Windows computers, not MAC's, but I actually even looked at an iMac and I didn't see a firewire (or 1394) listed in it's long description either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=430534031

Grum.
Old 2012-12-05, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
I guess I had forgotten about this.
I haven't used a desktop in a while, so I forgot how easily you can add PCIe cards.
And fewer and fewer laptops nowadays come with PC-CARD ports.

But that is a valid option.

Thanks!
Old 2012-12-05, 20:44

Quote:
I guess I had forgotten about this.
I haven't used a desktop in a while, so I forgot how easily you can add PCIe cards.
And fewer and fewer laptops nowadays come with PC-CARD ports.

But that is a valid option.

Thanks!
My post was a bit short and to the point .
I don't think FireWire is the draw it once was but if you need it then you need it. The latest toy is USB 3 and macs have something new now. It's all good fun.

Grum.
Old 2012-12-05, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
My post was a bit short and to the point .
I don't think FireWire is the draw it once was but if you need it then you need it. The latest toy is USB 3 and macs have something new now. It's all good fun.

Grum.
I have a Motu 896HD which only has firewire connections.
That is the main reason I need a firewire port.

I am going to get an 896mk3 which has firewire and usb, but I'm still not sure if I can daisy chain the two devices together with firewire, and then connect the mk3 to my computer with usb, if I'll be able to access the HD through the Mk3.

And I am not sure if Motu can even answer that. I am going to ask them though.
Old 2012-12-06, 00:00

Quote:
PCMCIA cards are no more.
What's used, these days, is the expresscard.
It's supposed to be faster, better, etc. than PCMCIA.

There definitely are expresscard interfaces that give you firewire.

So buying a laptop with an expresscard slot should be all you need.

Recently, I've just formatted a Linux machine for a friend: a nice HP Pavillion g6. Inexpensive and solid-looking. Definitely had an expresscard slot.

Now, now... please note: I have never used an expresscard/firewire interface. It's supposed to work fine but since I haven't done it personally, I have to put this disclaimer.
Suggest you ask around if they work nicely.
Old 2012-12-06, 02:35

Before you buy a windows computer with firewire (or before you add firewire to a windows computer) make sure to research compatibility between the audio interfaces you own or are considering purchasing and the firewire chipset.

Not all windows firewire implementations are alike and some (many?) combinations of audio interface and firewire chipsets *do not work*.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-12-06, 15:52

Word to the wise, if your audio interface is bus-powered, it won't work with a PCI express card adapter, so make sure you have an external power supply adapter if you go with the express card adapter (like if you decide on a laptop). Otherwise it's easy enough to stick a PCI card into your motherboard on a desktop PC, I had the exact same problem as you with my new laptop....unfortunately I had to go into the USB interface market to solve the problem (My TC Electronic Konnekt required bus power which I couldn't get on a laptop with the PCIe adapter) so I got Balance.
Old 2012-12-06, 16:18
Propellerhead

Many higher end desktops / workstations still have firewire.
For example my very recent HP Z400-series here at the office.

(Perhaps because it is used for many DV-cameras and such equipment. It is also the most popular link for Windows kernel debugging.)
Old 2012-12-06, 21:34

I think I found an iMac that will get the job done.
I didn't realize the thunderbolt connection could be adapted to firewire.
But the iMac I found has firewire and thunderbolt anyway, so I should be good.

Thanks!