Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-12-13, 15:03

A propellorhead high end audio interface?

I was just wondering If propellorheads would make a PCI based sound card with a break out box...lots of ins/outs. something like the EMU 1820M or RME multiface II/ HDSPe combo. I have owned USB and firewire interfaces in the past, but I preffer the still, superior performance of PCI.

Ours is not to 'Reason' why,
Ours is but to do or die.
Old 2012-12-13, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadice View Post
I was just wondering If propellorheads would make a PCI based sound card with a break out box...lots of ins/outs. something like the EMU 1820M or RME multiface II/ HDSPe combo. I have owned USB and firewire interfaces in the past, but I preffer the still, superior performance of PCI.
I too would like a bigger/better interface and have even provided a few mockups of Balance 2 and a large mixer controller with a built in 16 channel interface. But PCI seems to be falling by the wayside, and there doesn't seem to be many new products being developed for it these days. In the Mac world, there's only one product that can even accept PCI cards (and it's development cycle has been all but nonexistent recently), as most producers have moved to laptops and iMacs. Supposedly Thunderbolt is poised to take over in this regard, but only time will tell if this works out as planned!

So I give the concept of a high end interface a +1, but the specific detail of a PCI based interface a thumbs down. :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-13, 21:16

I want the mixer interface, even if its just a midi controller. And we get a rack mount usb3/thunderbolt hybrid interface with more I/O.
Old 2012-12-14, 00:34

Hi Selig,

I think that AVB (Audio Video Bridging) could also be an interesting alternative to USB3 and Thunderbolt, simply because it already works very well. Maybe the Propellerheads will jump on that train. Somehow, I am sure that in 2013 we'll see a hardware controller for Reason from Propellerhead, may even a device that combines an audio interface and a controller for Reason. I mean we alreade have a thing called "PLAN" within Reason. that implies to me that some kind of computer network technology is involved already. Let's see and hope for an awesome 2013 for all Reason users. :-)
Old 2012-12-14, 13:00

I have visions of something much like M-audios Project Mix o/i

Great mixer control coupled with decent quality pre's and i/o options

Imagine......

But styled more like balance

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-12-14, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjimmyc View Post

Imagine......

You must've missed selig's concept in other threads (such as this one)... =)
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=160958

This btw is my favorite (the 8 fader version)... Again, a concept of selig (not mine)
Old 2012-12-15, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyluck View Post
You must've missed selig's concept in other threads (such as this one)... =)
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=160958

This btw is my favorite (the 8 fader version)... Again, a concept of selig (not mine)
No, i have not seen that but it is pretty much what i had in mind!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-12-16, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjimmyc View Post

Imagine......

A multiple I/O interface on a desktop would mean messy cables everywhere. I'd prefer an idea of a control surface with a detachable rackmount interface so users could configure it to their own liking.
Old 2012-12-16, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadangermouse View Post
A multiple I/O interface on a desktop would mean messy cables everywhere. I'd prefer an idea of a control surface with a detachable rackmount interface so users could configure it to their own liking.
You mean like Balance, the M-Audio device, Digi 003, etc? OTOH, a separate detachable rack mount interface would be more expensive, have an extra connection point (potential failure point) requiring an expensive custom multi-channel connection cable, require a rack in which to be mounted (or defeat the purpose), and did I mention more expensive?

The design I proposed, FWIW, is already totally configureable, so the only advantage to the detachable approach would be to prevent the possible cable clutter IMO. :-)
USA