Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-17, 17:36

Trying to achieve an effect

I'm trying to achieve an effect on Reason, but can't google it as I'm not too sure of it's proper name. In a dance track, quite often house, there is an effect where the whole song muffles out or sounds like it's in the room next door for a bit, then comes back in again. How do I achieve this in Reason 6.5. I've been told it's auto filter but couldn't really find anything on that, and also told that this can be achieved with EQ, but the person who told me is not here to ask again to tell me how or what he meant. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 2012-12-17, 17:44

You can do this in many ways using filters, eq, or even reverbs with huge amounts of HF Damp. The point is to cut the high frequencies.

Try to apply a low-pass or a band-pass filter to the whole mix, if you like add a bit of a room reverb with a small decay amount. Dont forget to play with filter's resonance.
Old 2012-12-17, 17:56

If you don't know how to sound-design it yourself, a simple way to achieve that would be to do some patch browsing on various filter/eq devices (uhbik-q has a few 'muffled' presets) and find the muffled sound you are looking for.

then set the device's wet/dry to dry, then in the song, where you want it to go from un-muffled to muffled then back to un-muffled, automate the wet/dry setting from dry to wet then back to dry.

once you get used to that, you can experiment by changing other parameters besides wet/dry and automating them for more complex changes over time.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-12-17 at 17:59.
Old 2012-12-17, 21:54

Can do a couple of things.

1) bounce whole track down to a stereo stem (stereo file) and reimport the whole track

2) duplicate it so 2 audio tracks, label one as 'in the club' and the other 'outside the club' for ease

3) mute all other tracks (unless you have a new Reason file with just these tracks)

4) now at the point where you want the 'outside the club' effect to be heard, cut the track and leave the section you want to be 'outside'

5) on the 'outside' track go to the main mixer and with the LPF knob turn it on (this will only allow Low frequencies, hense the name, Low Pass Filter = 'no audio signal above the LPF setting shall not pass'), and set the filter up accordingly, making sure the other track is muted for now

6) Once happy with your outside sound, cut the section in the inside-the-club track so that you have no overlaps (dont want outside and inside playing together)

7) Unmute both tracks, and play. You might hear a nasty 'pop' when the tracks 'switch. This is due to maybe the sound file itself, because of phase of the signal (ie it might not be at the zero point = the horizontal line in the middle of the audio file you can see - this is the quietest section, up to the top is +1, to the bottom is -1, be worth reading up a bit on trimming samples and what the zero point is, basically it's the point where *nothing* is output); you can resolve this by creating either a fade using the mixer controls, or fade in the samples into one another, or fade the filter from high to low, to 'blend' the signal instead - various methods, pick whatever works best

If you get stuck hit us up