Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-12-19, 19:39

Amazon-style Reviews for REs

The ability to trial REs is probably the answer to this but I think it would also be useful for people trialing or who have bought the RE in question to be able to write a review. Maybe this could include creative ideas, comparisons with alternatives/pros cons vs similar devices.

I personally find the 5-star rating system almost completely meaningless and find myself looking to youtube for reviews if they are available. This would be quite useful for those situations where you've already tried out a device but ran out of time before really getting to grips with it (or just forgetting about it until it expires :s)
Old 2012-12-19, 21:06

I think if review/comments will be implemented, a lot of people will just complain for the sake of complaining without backing it up. That's what I'm afraid will happen if that's the case.
Old 2012-12-19, 21:10

Yeah if the forum is anything to go by i wouldn't implement it either if i were the Prop in charge of it
Old 2012-12-19, 21:40

I've suggested the Amazon system in past discussions, so I have to give this thread a hearty +1! :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-19, 21:54

An amazon style rating would be good. SO people that are complaining or providing invaluable review, would get negative scores while good reviews get plus scores.
Old 2012-12-19, 21:56

SO everyone will write good reviews just to get a good score on their review? lol, great system!
Old 2012-12-20, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBomba View Post
An amazon style rating would be good. SO people that are complaining or providing invaluable review, would get negative scores while good reviews get plus scores.
Yeah some sort of 'crowd control' like Amazon, or YouTube for that matter, would help screen out people complaining for the sake of it and not using the system with the best of intentions.

I actually think this would help RE sales since there have been a couple of times where I hadn't even thought of buying(/trying) one but have been swayed by a convincing review. Case in point: Pulsar. I unfortunately missed the boat on the free give-away and I thought it was a bit expensive so I dismissed it; but after seeing a good review on YouTube I tried it and bought it. It is now a ubiquitous part of my setup which saves me messing about with thor/subtractor/malstrom etc. unless I really need to.

I'd rather see 5 star ratings on the quality of someone's review than the product itself, which are frankly meaningless to me. "So this compressor is 4* and so's that one, which would suit me?" Do any REs ever get less than 3*, and whatis the quantifiable difference between 3* to 5*? :S

Yes of course you could try for yourself, but not all of us are Reason demi-gods and would appreciate some guidence from those more in-the-know.
Old 2012-12-20, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelab21 View Post
I think if review/comments will be implemented, a lot of people will just complain for the sake of complaining without backing it up. That's what I'm afraid will happen if that's the case.
I think also some people will also do the opposite and praise the product without really stating why.

It is pretty normal for even great products to have a couple of harsh criticisms, so most people would ignore the few.

But if all you see are complaints than I think that would be a good tool. Probably also a good tool for the actual developers too because although I know we have the forums sometimes certain things can get drowned out.

I think a Netflix style review system probably would be appropriate. Where each review is then reviewed for inaccuracies and or just blatant bashing with no reason.

It would be important to explain why a person likes the product.
Old 2012-12-20, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrimes View Post

I think a Netflix style review system probably would be appropriate. Where each review is then reviewed for inaccuracies and or just blatant bashing with no reason.
I'm not familiar with Netflix but that sounds more like what I meant. Perhaps citing Amazon wasn't the best example! I like YouTube where comments can be voted up or down by other members. Also as now I expect the review system if in place would only be available for those who have tried or bought the RE to avoid the Amazon/Daily Mail-complain-because-someone-else-said-you'd-be-offended scenario. Or just general moaning or bashing. Perhaps they could be rated for objectivity in criticism (good or bad).

Sorry to those who mentioned this before. *must read forums more carefully in future!*
Old 2012-12-21, 14:55

Absolutely agree +1 - It's almost censorship if you don't have a transparent review system.

"Music is my religion." Jimi Hendrix

Loading SoundCloud…