Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-21, 18:31

Reason 4 -> Record: On Mixer Volumes

I know this is behind time times a bit, with Reason 6 being out by now (and me still not able to afford it), but I know this must apply even to the new stuff, and I'm wondering if someone has an answer for me.

I got Reason 4 when it came out and I loved it. It was the best Reason to date (duh), and I loved working with it. Like the rest of us, I'm sure, I immediately started making projects by tossing in a reMix, hooking it to the main output, and going from there! YAY!

Until, well, then Record comes out! HOLY CRAP NEW MIXER! We got an AMAZING new mixer device, in fact, a whole new paradigm for mixing - a full DAW, with the immense power in the new mixing interface, etc. So neat.

But I have this problem. I have a lofty collection of projects, finished and not so finished, all done in Reason 4....with reMixes. Now I can pull them into Record (or Reason 5/6), and sure enough, there's the mixer setup....with just a single mix track chained to my old reMix. Lovely. So I can just make new tracks for each reMix track, and....wait...wait a minute....the volume levels are different. Drastically! . Crap, I'm hosed.

On the remix, see, the volume levels go from 0 to 127. That's it. That's all you get. On the new cool mixer interface, I get +8.03db to -∞db. That's awesome. But Different!!!!

My question, therefore: I need a function,
Code:
f(origional) = new
such that original is the volume level of the reMix track (0-127, or, volume level +1, 1-128), and new is the corresponding volume level to assign to my new mixer track. I know I could just estimate, and then try to remaster the track (which for some tracks needs done anyways), but well, for some tracks, I would just rather not.

Can anyone help me here on this?
Old 2012-12-21, 18:36

I think a very helpful forum user called Selig produced a list of old mixer/new mixer values. It is here:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...xer+equivalent

Rock on.
Old 2012-12-21, 18:52

Quote:
I know this is behind time times a bit, with Reason 6 being out by now (and me still not able to afford it)...
FYI... if you can find a copy of Essentials from Balance for sale at a good price, buy it. You'll receive a free upgrade to Reason 6 because you already own Reason.

Just keep in mind... it has to be the Essentials from the Balance, not the retail version. They have different serial codes, and only the one from Balance will upgrade your license.
Old 2012-12-21, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurse View Post
I think a very helpful forum user called Selig produced a list of old mixer/new mixer values. It is here:
EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 2012-12-21, 19:22

With mixer sends some situation.
I was compare it years ago:

Red line for sends of channel strip, Black line for sends of Mixer 14:2

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=128034
Link to old thread about it.

Last edited by ljekio; 2012-12-21 at 19:25.