Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-31, 18:59
jpBollywood

few questions related to reason usage

Hi,

I have a basic question related to reason 6.5 usage.

I am very new to this hence asking...

Till now I use Yamaha - PSR 3000 as my synthesizer. I don't like sounds and styles from that keyboard...I want to go away from it. I am planning to use Reason 6.5 sounds and use my keyboard as MIDI controller...my question is, when I start using my keyboard as MIDI controller, can I still divide my keyboard into left and right sections i.e - today if I play something on my keyboard (without reason), I choose sound for left, right-1 and right-2..Left section is what I use for chords and right-1 and right-2 for melody...so back to the question, if I use my keyboard as MIDI than can I still divide my keyboard into 3 sections, left, right-1 and right-2 or I can not do that...I plan to have reason used when I play live hence I would like to have similar feel and have chord sections and it's sound, melody section and it's sound organized through reason software.

this is going to be my first attempt to use my keyboard as midi controller and use sound from software.

Thanks
JP
Old 2012-12-31, 20:01

Sure can, there's a slight learning curve to it but it's definitely possible. I don't know if you've messed with the demo but you can do it using "key zones" in the combinator's programmer section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpBollywood View Post
Hi,

I have a basic question related to reason 6.5 usage.

I am very new to this hence asking...

Till now I use Yamaha - PSR 3000 as my synthesizer. I don't like sounds and styles from that keyboard...I want to go away from it. I am planning to use Reason 6.5 sounds and use my keyboard as MIDI controller...my question is, when I start using my keyboard as MIDI controller, can I still divide my keyboard into left and right sections i.e - today if I play something on my keyboard (without reason), I choose sound for left, right-1 and right-2..Left section is what I use for chords and right-1 and right-2 for melody...so back to the question, if I use my keyboard as MIDI than can I still divide my keyboard into 3 sections, left, right-1 and right-2 or I can not do that...I plan to have reason used when I play live hence I would like to have similar feel and have chord sections and it's sound, melody section and it's sound organized through reason software.

this is going to be my first attempt to use my keyboard as midi controller and use sound from software.

Thanks
JP
Old 2013-01-01, 15:17

If you need help learning how to set this up in the combinator maybe I could teach you live through my ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/djfm1983 . This way you could watch me set it up and learn that way.
Old 2013-01-01, 15:42

3rdFloor is spot-on as always and I hope you take Mr. head up on his offer. Since you have to go into the Combi Programmer to make the split, I think it would make a good subject for a screen cast and video.

I thought you may get a kick out of this: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=130421 . Victor48’s entire 2+ year old 132 posts Music Forum thread is all about splitting the keyboard. Problem is, the fine fellow switches between Russian and English and has some of the most hilarious Google translations ever made. Bless his heart, I still haven’t figured out if he got it to work just right or not. But it is easy once you get the hang of using the Programmer.
Old 2013-01-01, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese View Post
I thought you may get a kick out of this: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=130421 . Victor48’s entire 2+ year old 132 posts Music Forum thread is all about splitting the keyboard. Problem is, the fine fellow switches between Russian and English and has some of the most hilarious Google translations ever made. Bless his heart, I still haven’t figured out if he got it to work just right or not. But it is easy once you get the hang of using the Programmer.
Holy God that thread is incredible! Wonder how I missed it the first time. Where the heck did Victor go, he seems to be exiled to the land of the icon-less.

Edit: Am I seeing some sort of rift between George and him in there?

Last edited by 3rdFloorSound; 2013-01-01 at 16:35.
Old 2013-01-01, 16:50

Victor shows up about every 2-3 months like clockwork (was here two days ago). Why, I’m not sure. Back in 2010 he had icon(s) and then went through a name change or something. I like the dude’s enthusiasm and perseverance, but with George being Russian (St. Pete) he probably knows more than we do. I’ve always wanted to ask George who Victor is, but I guess some things are best left unknown.

BTW, if you perused that whole thread then about now I expect you need some aspirin or some guys in white coats.

Last edited by MayorMcCheese; 2013-01-01 at 16:55.
Old 2013-01-01, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese View Post
domestic split i am 2 hand. with left sound is not right same. hard press is more. easy thank you.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-01-01, 20:30

Victor, bless his heart. Back in 2010 he had some .rns files here online and the guy made some darn good music. One track was good enough to be a new Russian National Anthem or something.
Old 2013-01-01, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
domestic split i am 2 hand. with left sound is not right same. hard press is more. easy thank you.
Heh, just wish I knew what "domestic" was supposed to be translated to
Old 2013-01-04, 02:16
jpBollywood

Thank you all will take a look at the thread mentioned.