Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-02, 21:18

My newest production = done in about 16 hours - Reggae

I wanted to start off the year with a bang, I guess, so I recreated an old favorite tune of mine. Hope you like it. I did all instruments and vocals, though my girlfriend did add a track of "Ooo's" = It was completed in about 16 hours, start to finish.

4 different DAWs were used. Reason first, then vocals and guitars tracked in Reaper*, the vocals and backups were then spit out BACK into Reason where I added synth backups via the Neptune, the mix was done in Reaper with VST's all over the place, (I think the session was taxing my memory/RAM to the tune of 900mb the last I peeked at it - there was no way it would play properly, either, unless some FX were turned off - of course, it rendered just fine, praise the Lord), mastered in Studio One, and further mastered in Adobe Audition. Hope you like it. It was totally fun to do.

* The main organ is the VB3 VSTi by GSi Soundware. That Leslie?......yeah
** Other Vsti's present are Mr Ray Mk2 (Rhodes), ZD6 Clav, TAL-Bassline (half the bass) and Addictive Drums.
*** Sounds from Reason include Drums, Piano (Korg M1 samples in NNXT combi'd with a stock Reason acoustic piano), Sine Wave, 12 Acoustic Guitar (its in there...), a bass filter effect combi, a bass track, all the horns, and maybe something else im forgetting.
**** Both the bass and the drums are "blends" of both bass from Reason, and a track of the SAME MIDI data controlling an instance of TAL-Basslne. Same thing is going on with the drums - same MIDI data and both Reason Drums and Addictive drums are blended together.
***** About 40 tracks in all going in the mix

FINAL EDIT: Did I mention 16 hours? Yeah....I meant straight :P - so, this is my disclaimer that im loopy as all get out right now. It could use more love, Im certain, and all sessions are sitting saved to be fixed up later, but it was fun to bang out = Im goin to bed now.... :P Cheers

Last edited by RasCricket; 2013-01-02 at 21:46.
Old 2013-01-02, 22:30

Awesome track man. Hella chill. Sounds like quite the workflow too! Yeesh!

Curious what version of Audition you're using and if the additional mastering was done using plugs native to Audition or? Been a fan of Audition since the Cool Edit days before Adobe rebranded it.

Good work! Cheers!
Old 2013-01-02, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfujedi View Post
Awesome track man. Hella chill. Sounds like quite the workflow too! Yeesh!

Curious what version of Audition you're using and if the additional mastering was done using plugs native to Audition or? Been a fan of Audition since the Cool Edit days before Adobe rebranded it.

Good work! Cheers!
I threw it in 3.0 actually (got Cs5 on another machine) to just accurately snip the ends, de-click and de-clip it, then examine finals stats to see how my shootin' was. Like, loudness levels, etc.

3.0 is really cheap and a very valuable tool. Reaper sure is quick, easy, stable, and just reliable. I like tracking in it the most. Its just really easy to manage a session, essentially - quickly drop things/tracks in a folder for an instant Bus Track, slap effects on it and you're good to go - further than that, i find splicing and zooming and using the little pull-down thing to lower a clips volume - not the only Daw that does that, I just find the whole zooming in and out to get the job done fastest in Reaper myself. I do still like to spit all stems out into a folder and just load em up in Audition 3.0 = some of my best mixes were done in that, I swear.

Mastering in Studio One did a lot for this one. Sometimes, and he knows who im talking about, some mixes are really only gonna improve SO much during "mastering". Sometimes, it works out to where there's a marked and significant improvement going on. For a quick job, it went alright. BBL.
Old 2013-01-02, 22:57

Nicely done.

I'm loving that clav sound underneath the bass, the only crit I have which maybe down to Youtube is that the hats and cymbals soundl like they have gone through some kind of de-essing process and don't sound as clear as they could. Like I say that may just be down to encoding for the web.

Other than that I love it.
Old 2013-01-02, 23:33

No my type of music but very well done, sound pro to me, I wish I can produce at that level one day.

Seems you know what you are doing, continue.
Old 2013-01-03, 00:43

Very nice. Inspires me to try and up my reggae game this year.
Old 2013-01-03, 00:48

I knew your voice sounded like that. Weird!
electro world

zillis is two people (brothers). just so you know.
Old 2013-01-03, 01:08

I'm workin on a Reggae track with Wee Joe, kekeke should be interdasting.
Old 2013-01-03, 01:21

It sounds a bit like you should have spent more time mixing and less time mastering, the spaces wobble around a lot (as in reverb tails get processed heavily by dynamics) and it all sounds like recorded in a cave as if the final compression pulled out the rooms too much. But if its actually produced from recording via arranging to mastering in 16hrs that can happen ^^ Still wonder how you can plan so much time for mastering then though
Old 2013-01-03, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
It sounds a bit like you should have spent more time mixing and less time mastering, the spaces wobble around a lot (as in reverb tails get processed heavily by dynamics) and it all sounds like recorded in a cave as if the final compression pulled out the rooms too much. But if its actually produced from recording via arranging to mastering in 16hrs that can happen ^^ Still wonder how you can plan so much time for mastering then though
I appreciate ya taking the time to both listen and leave a comment. Yeah, it really was all done from about 6pm till about 10am the next morning. All in one shot/session. This isn't planned for any kind of release or anything = I just did it on a whim. Mostly, just a test and exercise of using what I got - making sure all programs work, and just keepin myself sharp. So, there's a lot of wiggle room in the scenario for me to end up with something that doesnt sound to good. But...I think I did ok in the time allotted.

A lot went into it from, as I mentioned, setting up VSTi's in another DAW using the same MIDI data that was originally played in Reason. Granted, when I do this for the drums, certain lanes of notes need moved around so my hi-hat pattern is a hi-hat pattern and not a cowbell loop with 3 loud cymbals at the end O.o lol

But that just takes a minute. Doing the subtle synth vox also involved spttin out the Lead and Back vox bus stems back into Reason so I could make some backup tracks using those vocals. That takes a few - you gotta fiddle around till you find keys chords and spots where it actually works for the song.

The guitars were an afterthought. People wonder why, since guitar is my main instrument, why there isnt a truckload of guitar on all my productions = I just dont feel the need to give it more than it needs, really. So theres quite little guitar in there.

Yup, its a bang out job. I even found time to alter a pic in Illustrator and use Windows Movie Maker to make a quick video to slap up on YouTube. I like being productive when it hits. Focused = Good. Thanks again for listenin

EDIT: Nhansen, maybe I read what you wrote wrong or one of us did - not much time was spent on the mastering stage like, at all. It was 16 hours from the first MIDI note started in Reason till it was posted on YouTube is essentially what I meant. I pretty much was able to nail a sweet spot right off the bat in the mastering phase that at least I was happy with knowing the intent of the production = like, its not for a CD or any kind of release. So, it was definitely one of the faster phases of the project. Vocals and vocal mixing were likely the time consumer.

Last edited by RasCricket; 2013-01-03 at 05:56.