Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-01-03, 02:39

Name tracks the same as devices automatically

The option to automatically name tracks the same as devices.
It says Hook Piano on the Mixer, Hook Piano on the rack, then why the friggedy frack does it say Antidote3 on the seq?
This could be a choice to set it up this way or the original way.

Same with the solo and mutes. PLLLLLEASE!!!!! Ok maybe someone likes two different sets of mutes and solos, well fine but please give us the CHOICE of having just one set that works over all.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZM View Post
It says Hook Piano on the Mixer, Hook Piano on the rack, then why the friggedy frack does it say Antidote3 on the seq?

Same with the solo and mutes. PLLLLLEASE!!!!! Ok maybe someone likes two different sets of mutes and solos, well fine but please give us the CHOICE of having just one set that works over all.
Naming tracks from the rack and the sequencer works for me - the only time it doesn't work is when you name tracks from the mixer (and I'm not sure why).

As for the perennial solo question, since there are two independent solo functions, therefore there's actually no way they could be controlled from a single source. Best they could do is to eliminate the solo in the sequencer so this question wouldn't keep coming up (I kid, I NEED both functions myself). :-)
USA
Old 2013-01-03, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Naming tracks from the rack and the sequencer works for me - the only time it doesn't work is when you name tracks from the mixer (and I'm not sure why).

As for the perennial solo question, since there are two independent solo functions, therefore there's actually no way they could be controlled from a single source. Best they could do is to eliminate the solo in the sequencer so this question wouldn't keep coming up (I kid, I NEED both functions myself). :-)
Ok I didn't know that this question keeps coming up. Perhaps I should ask WHY there's 2 sets of mute,solo buttons. Also selig, I fully understand that everyone has their own workflow but why do you need both functions?
Old 2013-01-03, 15:06

Quote:
Ok I didn't know that this question keeps coming up. Perhaps I should ask WHY there's 2 sets of mute,solo buttons. Also selig, I fully understand that everyone has their own workflow but why do you need both functions?
I know I', not Selig, but sometimes I need both functions myself.
So the Solo in the Sequencer, will solo sequencer Data. Meaning none of the other Devices are receiving any note/Automation Data. Why would I want that? For example I would like to check a send effect for just one instrument. With the Sequencer Solo none of the other instruments (even if set to Pre) will play, making it easy for me to check the send signal for just one single instrument.
why would I want it any other way?
I would like for example to have the Bassdrum to sidechain my Pad, but I don't want to hear the Bassdrum. The way it's set up now, I can mute the Bassdrums Mixer channel and still the Pad gets pumped, because I mute the signal after the insert section, which is where I'll get my Bassdrum from.
Old 2013-01-03, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch View Post
They could put it in preferences to link the mute buttons. Pressing one would activate / deactivate both.
Muting/Soloing both does nothing different than muting/soloing one - why would this be an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
Yeah having two separate ones is too complicated and messes me up a lot, I would opt to use that option.
How does it mess you up?

Quote:
Because they do different things! Other have given their examples, but I'll give mine below (again!). But I DO find it strange that no one has ever suggested the 14:2 mutes/solos should be linked with the sequencer, and Reason has been that way since day one! It's the same thing with the SSL mixer - they are two separate sub-systems of the Reason "Studio".

One reason where linking just plain wouldn't work would be if you were using a ReDrum track in the sequencer feeding multiple mixer tracks - which mixer channel would you link to the sequencer? Another example of why they are separate would be if you have recorded a track in the sequencer and need to mute it to play that instrument "live". And yet another would be if you had stacked a sequencer track to play multiple instruments, like strings and piano (patched to separate mixer channels). If you want to mute the entire performance, mute in the sequencer. If you want to mute just the strings, mute in the mixer.

But the real question I haven't heard answered would be WHY? If one is muted, why on earth would you need the other to ALSO be muted? There would be no advantages that I'm aware of to muting or soloing a track twice - think about it… ;-)

So the only time linking would actually work would be if one sequencer track is feeding one and only one mixer track. Yet linking them it that situation makes no sense, as it wouldn't make a track mute or solo any different to how it works now, as far as I can tell. In other words, once you mute the track in one location, muting it in another (via linking or manually) won't change what you're hearing in any way, right?

Maybe someone has an example of how linking would be useful, and how you would implement it to work correctly in all situations? :-)
USA
Old 2013-01-03, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Muting/Soloing both does nothing different than muting/soloing one - why would this be an advantage?
The advantage is that you can mute / unmute in the window you're in instead of having to hunt down the place where the sound is muted.

Say you have three monitors - rack, sequencer, mixer. You mute a track while you're working in the sequencer view, change a few things, then head over to the mixer to adjust levels. If you want to hear the muted track right now you have to interrupt the flow of your work and go back over to the sequencer screen.

With them linked in preference you can mute and unmute in whatever window you're working in - you keep working instead of hunting down the original mute.

The way it's set up right now is like a three way light switch where you can turn off the light at either switch, but if you want to turn the light back on you have to waste your time and walk back over to the other switch.

A simple preference tickbox for this would harm no one that does it the original way but would benefit those who don't want to deal with multiple muting permutations.
Old 2013-01-03, 21:04

Quote:
The advantage is that you can mute / unmute in the window you're in instead of having to hunt down the place where the sound is muted.

Say you have three monitors - rack, sequencer, mixer. You mute a track while you're working in the sequencer view, change a few things, then head over to the mixer to adjust levels. If you want to hear the muted track right now you have to interrupt the flow of your work and go back over to the sequencer screen.

With them linked in preference you can mute and unmute in whatever window you're working in - you keep working instead of hunting down the original mute.

The way it's set up right now is like a three way light switch where you can turn off the light at either switch, but if you want to turn the light back on you have to waste your time and walk back over to the other switch.

A simple preference tickbox for this would harm no one that does it the original way but would benefit those who don't want to deal with multiple muting permutations.
I would say that it's not like a three way light switch, and that this is the common point of confusion IMO. A three way light switch controls a SINGLE light source. But in Reason, you are controlling TWO separate functions.

And you are ignoring the reasons why this would not be consistent when splitting instruments to separate mixer channels. In my ReDrum example above, which track would mute in the mixer when muting the sequencer track? And if you're in the mixer, and you mute ONE of the ReDrum tracks, it would ALSO mute the sequencer track, thus muting ALL of your tracks. This odd behavior would cause more problems than it cures IMO.

You would have to create this feature to be simpler, not more complex, than the current options IMO. I haven't yet heard of how to make linked mutes/solos actually work in all situations, and still believe that logically speaking it would be impossible. Anyone? :-)
USA
Old 2013-01-03, 04:36

Quote:

They could put it in preferences to link the mute buttons. Pressing one would activate / deactivate both.
Old 2013-01-03, 05:49

Quote:
Yeah having two separate ones is too complicated and messes me up a lot, I would opt to use that option.
Old 2013-01-03, 12:32

Quote:

I'm all for new options, but consider this:
when you split a signal to do parallel processing, or connect Redrum outputs to individual mixer channels, wouldn't you like to have a seperate label for each channel, or would you like all to be called "drums"?