Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-03, 07:52

Exclamation Is Balance broken, or is it my mic?

Oddest thing just happened. I went to record a vocal, and I couldn't clip.

I do not mean clip safe was engaged (it was, but I turned it off to check how far the db would go). It's like there is a brick wall limiter on it. When I view the meter, even at the highest sensitivity, the dbs stop at exactly -16db. The odd thing is, my Balance will show that there is clipping (signal/clip will turn red), but doesn't go into red (or yellow for that matter) on the digital meter. This also means that with clipsafe on, it doesnt even get loud enough to use the clip safe function.

Im worried because,
  1. It used to function as anticipated,
  2. Now, when I overdub (I only track vocal in my set up), it cant get a good s/n ratio, like before.

I restart my MBA (late-2012, 8gb, i7), and this did not help. My Balance is connected to a usb 3.0 hub, so I tried with it connected directly to the mac...did not help. I tried using the mic on the 2nd input...same results. Im not sure what else I could do.

Reinstall Reason?

I dont have another mic to test, as of yet...but I wonder if a broken mic would actually just limit itself to exact -16db. Its an MXL 770, if that matters to anyone.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by itsNobi; 2013-01-03 at 08:34.
Old 2013-01-03, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsNobi View Post
Oddest thing just happened. I went to record a vocal, and I couldn't clip.

I do not mean clip safe was engaged (it was, but I turned it off to check the how the db would go). It like there is a brick wall limiter on it. When I view the meter, even at the highest sensitivity, the dbs stop at exactly -16db. The odd thing is, my balance will show that there is clipping (signal/clip will turn red), but doesn't go into red on the digital meter. This also means that with clipsafe on, it doesnt even get loud enough to use the clip safe function.

Im worried because, 1) It used to function as anticipated, 2) Now, when I overdub (I only track vocal in my set up), it cant get a good s/n ratio, like before.

I restart my MBA (late-2012, 8gb, i7), and this did not help. My Balance is connected to a usb 3.0 hub, so I tried with it connected directly to the mac...did not help. I tried using the mic on the 2nd input, same results. Im not sure what else I could do.

Reinstall Reason?

I dont have another mic to test, as of yet...but I wonder if a broken mic would actually just limit itself to exact -16db. Its an MXL 770, if that matters to anyone.

Any thoughts?
Does your mic require phantom power to operate. I've never used Balance but my audio interface has a switch for phantom power. Could it be that?
Old 2013-01-03, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFigg View Post
Does your mic require phantom power to operate. I've never used Balance but my audio interface has a switch for phantom power. Could it be that?
It does. & I had it turned on for each input when I used them. If the phantom power were off, I wouldn't get any reading at all
Old 2013-01-03, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsNobi View Post
It does. & I had it turned on for each input when I used them. If the phantom power were off, I wouldn't get any reading at all
Ok. I actually get a reading with phantom power off. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 2013-01-03, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFigg View Post
Ok. I actually get a reading with phantom power off. Hope you get it fixed.
Thanks. Me, too.
Old 2013-01-03, 14:57

This is the exact problem i was getting with my Motu Ultralite mk3. It's indeed like a brickwall limiter and distorts when you go over that limit. On the Motu it got solved by resetting the interface but would return from time to time. I don't think Balance can be reset coss it doesn't save anything on board. Contacting support would be the best thing to do.
Old 2013-01-03, 19:05

Talking Problem Solved

Product support got right back to me, and wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nobi,

Since Balance is CoreAudio compliant on Mac OS, my guess is that the input levels for Balance in the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility is slightly turned down. Please make sure they're at 0dB.

If this wasn't it, please get back to me!

All the best,
John Boqvist
Product Support
Propellerhead Software
Thats exactly what it was. I made an aggregate device w/soundflower a while back (virtual studio session via skype ). In deleting it, it did turn down the input for the balance (why? idk), but readjusting that corrected the issue.
Old 2013-04-10, 17:37

Im having this same issue along with alot of sound and staic noise. I don't use any other sound software either. All my mics seem to be producing it. Ive tried different cables even a different computer. This thing just dies after two years? I havent moved the thing off my desk!?!?
Old 2013-04-11, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by funndamentals View Post
Im having this same issue along with alot of sound and staic noise. I don't use any other sound software either. All my mics seem to be producing it. Ive tried different cables even a different computer. This thing just dies after two years? I havent moved the thing off my desk!?!?
How is this "the same same"?

Sounds like something completely different.