Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-05, 10:18

RE-2A vs FET compressor

Hey guys,

Between those 2:

Wich do you think is the better vocal compressor?
Wich do you think is the better allround compressor?
Wich do you think is better overall product?

And do any of those really make THAT much of a difference from the tools already built in, honestly?

Would love to hear some feedback on this as i'm considering a buy.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro View Post
Hey guys,

Between those 2:

Wich do you think is the better vocal compressor?
Wich do you think is the better allround compressor?
Wich do you think is better overall product?

And do any of those really make THAT much of a difference from the tools already built in, honestly?

Would love to hear some feedback on this as i'm considering a buy.
I think you'll be better off trying both and deciding for yourself. I honestly do not see why you should get only one, except for cost, because they are not the same. Both can be used on vocals but they don't work exactly the same way and there are other applications for them that can turn out to be interesting for you down the road. Try both before you buy and have a look at this too if you are new to compression, if not, just pass:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...o-compression/
Old 2013-01-05, 15:08

lol i'm not new to compression or almost anything music related.. but thank you.
Anyway, of course i already did that, but i'm very indecisive so i would like to hear some experienced opinions.
I just don't want to spend 200€ on 2 compressors right now. Plus all the stuff i already have in reason.
Old 2013-01-05, 15:55

Quote:
lol i'm not new to compression or almost anything music related.. but thank you.
Anyway, of course i already did that, but i'm very indecisive so i would like to hear some experienced opinions.
I just don't want to spend 200€ on 2 compressors right now. Plus all the stuff i already have in reason.
Problem is they ARE different! I have both types, though only one within Reason (FET). I don't use them the same way and many times I use them together. I am planning on getting the Cakewalk opto too exactly to use it with the FET, just like I do with my NI/Softube comps in Live. Now if you are more interested in vocals, go for the opto now and maybe later you can also add the FET, at least, this is what I'd do.
Old 2013-01-05, 16:41

The real units are often used in chain on vocals, just because they do different things. Mostly 1176 (FET) -> LA-2A (RE-2A). 2 compressors in chain can be good because neither have to work too hard.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-05, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrephonic View Post
The real units are often used in chain on vocals, just because they do different things. Mostly 1176 (FET) -> LA-2A (RE-2A). 2 compressors in chain can be good because neither have to work too hard.
Yep! The Opto's slow attack and non-linearity coupled with FET's fast attack can produce great results. I often use them on basslines, sometimes O>F, other times, F>O.
Old 2013-01-06, 05:18

They're very different compressors that handle audio differently. I don't think one is so much better than the other but the FET is definitely more flexible. That said if you want a good 1176 emulation but money is an issue (because I encourage getting both) try the Fxpansion Channel Comp. Its an emulation of the same compressor as the FET is but costs quite a bit less.
Old 2013-01-06, 20:37

That's overthinking for me. A compressor is a compressor, regardless of how different of a character they may have. They all have a different character. I guess i'm inclined for the FET but i'm in doubt because i want something more vocal driven altough i will obviously use it on other material.

Anyway check out this fresh track of mine i did exclusively on reason 6.5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbz1naT4n5g&hd=1

Last edited by DNGmaestro; 2013-01-06 at 20:40.
Old 2013-01-06, 20:58

Quote:
That's overthinking for me. A compressor is a compressor, regardless of how different of a character they may have. They all have a different character. I guess i'm inclined for the FET but i'm in doubt because i want something more vocal driven altough i will obviously use it on other material.

Anyway check out this fresh track of mine i did exclusively on reason 6.5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbz1naT4n5g&hd=1
You couldn´t be more contradictory. First you say a compressor is a compressor and then you want one more vocal driven?? Fwiw i find the ChanComp to be an excellent compressor for vocals. The FET definately isn´t so much better to justify the price IMHO(!)
Old 2013-01-06, 21:06

lol you got me there :P
But i said that because people talk about them like they are completely different devices when i'm simply looking for one wich gives vocals a "pleasant tone" . I also want a full fledged "real" compressor as i currently only using the m-class. If that full fledged real compressor is great for vocals then all the better !