Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-07, 04:47

Looking to get a Mac.

So Im looking to get a Mac. As of now i'm running a HP G36 and all it takes is one nice combinator to spike my ram to where i cant even finish songs.

Any sugguestions on a Mac where I could run Reason 6.5 with no issues?
Not too familiar with Mac models.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:20

All macs will run Reason well. You're pretty much good with any of them. Everything else comes down to whether you want your mac to be expandable (able to upgrade hard drives, ram...etc...) Afaik the mackbook air and the retina display macbook pro are not. All the other specs are just the same as any pc you would look at.

Website
Old 2013-01-07, 08:47

Thumbs up

Go look at the new iMac 27... 32 gb i7 mmmmm Its about as thick as an Ipad now too. They're seriously nice.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:41

Right now I'd either buy a 27" iMac or a Mac Mini, unless you really want a laptop in which case I'd get a MacBook Pro. In any case try to get an i7 processor if you can and buy extra RAM separately to install yourself (it's easy).

Right now I would not buy a 21" iMac or a Mac Pro (although next year when they get a good update I want to buy a Mac Pro), and I would not recommend a low end laptop for Reason.

Right now I'm using one of the latest model Mac Minis with an i7 processor and I put in 16 gigs of RAM myself. My only complaint with it really is that the Intel HD 4000 it uses for video is a bit on the low end for some games or other heavy graphics work, but for Reason it's working well.

If you care about high graphics performance or you want a nice display with it, I'd definitely go with the 27" iMac. You'll also get better performance for a longer time since it's got a faster processor.
Old 2013-01-07, 18:16

Just a note, for MacBook pro, you can no longer buy/install 3rd party memory chips. It's all integrated, as is the flash hard drive, so you must purchase everything you want up front from Apple...

_Dave_

http://soundcloud.com/am0eba

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-07, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by am0eba View Post
Just a note, for MacBook pro, you can no longer buy/install 3rd party memory chips. It's all integrated, as is the flash hard drive, so you must purchase everything you want up front from Apple...

_Dave_
Just for clarity, that's only the case with with the retina display macbook pro. The regular ones are still upgradeble without ordering from apple. They still use seagate hard drives afaik (for example) which can be bought externally for cheaper than from apple. only thing that can't be upgraded is the processor.

Website
Old 2013-01-07, 20:50

Yeah... I agree. I got one of the last late 2011 imac 27s. it is peaked at 16 g ram, and I only have 12 g ram but it runs like a champ. never crashed yet, I admit only to only stacking with 6 items in the combinator but it works great. I added an external 4 channel lexicon omega sound card with awesome results.
Old 2013-01-11, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
All macs will run Reason well. You're pretty much good with any of them. Everything else comes down to whether you want your mac to be expandable (able to upgrade hard drives, ram...etc...) Afaik the mackbook air and the retina display macbook pro are not. All the other specs are just the same as any pc you would look at.
WRONG VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG!!!!!!!!!

All macs do NOT run reason well.

You have very limited options in the Mac world if you want to run Reason efficiently. Your options are as follows.

1. Late 2012 iMac i7 (and the generation before) Will work extremely well with little to zero DSP issues.

2. MacPro - Any model will rock (Xeons trounces the i7 and will give you more options but they are expensive!)

3. MacbookPro QuadCore i7 - This the machine I use when I am touring and want to work on new material... very fast and stable but not the cheapest laptop.

4. Mac Mini i7 SERVER - Believe it or not... for $999 you can have a really performant music production machine.

Upgrades....
Contrary to popular belief... Macs can be upgraded with relative ease (depending on your technical acumen). Here are your upgrade options...

1. iMac i7 - Upgrade-able CPU, Hard Drive and Ram
2. MacPro - Everything is upgradeable
3. MacbookPro i7 - Hard Drive and Ram (I am unsure of the CPU)
4. Mac Mini i7 Server - Hard Drive, Ram and CPU.

PLEASE BUY THE APPLE CARE PROTECTION...
I know it sounds like "vaporware" but believe their support for failing or damaged Hardware is second to none (While I use OS X I am by far not a fan boy so that says a lot)

RAM...
Nothing less than 8GB will suffice. Your definitely better off with 16GB.

I hope you have not been undue influenced by erroneous information but I can assure you that what is mentioned above is accurate and verifiable.

One last thing...
If you do go with the Apple protection plan, please note that upgrading anything outside of the HD or Ram will void the plan. So make sure you get the configuration you want to use for the duration of the protection plan (ie 3 years).

Best of luck!

P.S. The aforementioned information is based on the assumption that you will be making professional mixes that require significant amount of DSP power in Reason which of course is understandable if you have a project with 48+ tracks. Even if you are starting out with just mixing 16-24 tracks you still want a system that will be able to grow with you which is why if you are going with an "i" series Intel processor I highly recommend that it be an i7.

Last edited by slevin; 2013-01-11 at 22:04. Reason: typo
Old 2013-01-11, 22:29

My 2011 2.5g i5 iMac with 4 gigs of ram handles everything I've tried to do with Reason yet. You don't NEED an i7, but if you can justify the cost, go for it.
Old 2013-01-11, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 View Post
My 2011 2.5g i5 iMac with 4 gigs of ram handles everything I've tried to do with Reason yet. You don't NEED an i7, but if you can justify the cost, go for it.
1. Of course you do not NEED an i7, that is why I used the word "recommendation" as it is recommended but not absolutely necessary

2. An i5 with 4gb will work for simpler projects... but DEFINITELY will not run efficiently with more complex projects running scores of RE's, streaming studio a capella stems from the HD, etc.

3. Resolution is key here... if you are making music at a starting resolution of 44.1/16 then an i5 would be adequate and you would have a little more headroom with DSP bandwidth. Unfortunately many of today's samples and sounds are released in 48/25bit format which eats up more DSP.

4. To put it bluntly the difference between an i5 and an i7 is like the difference between a Ford Mustang and a 500 series AMG. I think that is a pretty big distinction worth noting.

5. The justification in cost is based on the size and complexities of your projects. A project on my older 2011 i5 imac with 8gb of Ram takes about 30 - 40% more DSP usage than any of my macbook i7's (both retina and non retina).

Last edited by slevin; 2013-01-11 at 22:52.