Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-09, 19:45

Pre-count question

Hi!
OK, what I would like to do is to have a half bar of guitar or drums before the first bar begins. Basically a pre-count or intro. I'm sure I read this in the manual but now I can not find it anywhere.
Im sure its possible to do, otherwise the first main bar of your tune would start at the half bar position. I have done a couple tunes like this and all the rest of my clips are out 1/2 bar which is a pain to follow...I hope this makes sense!!
What is this term called? I can look up the procedure if I had something to go by.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 2013-01-09, 20:56

Quickest thing I can think of is to set your L loop bar where you want it and start a loop going. I believe there is a shortcut to have the playhead start playing from the left loop bar. I think it is"4" on the number pad, but not 100 percent on that, as I'm not near my computer right now.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:04

top-left in R6 > Options > Number of Precount Bars > (select One, Two, Three or Four)
Old 2013-01-11, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese View Post
top-left in R6 > Options > Number of Precount Bars > (select One, Two, Three or Four)
Damn! I've been using Reason since the release of Reason 4 and I just learned you could do that by reading your post... lol!

I guess you learn something new everyday... Cheers!
Old 2013-01-11, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin View Post
... I guess you learn something new everyday... Cheers!
And my "Cheers!" back to you for saying so. O/T, I thought you may enjoy glancing over this thread from about two years ago for some other tidbits: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=137485 . Everything that was in Reason then is still there now.

Mr. Pokery did us all a favor by basically asking “.. Where in the heck has that doodad been all my life?!?”.

Last edited by MayorMcCheese; 2013-01-11 at 23:11.
Old 2013-01-12, 02:46

Love that thread
Another way to do what you're asking is to automate the time signature to be 2/4 for one bar, then the regular song will begin on the second measure
Old 2013-01-09, 21:04

If you enable "PRE" on the transport when recording, you'll get a bar before recording begins. Is that what you're looking for?
Old 2013-01-10, 00:08

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I may not have been clear with my post. I "thought" I read that you could place a small recorded segment BEFORE the beginning of the first bar...kinda like recording your own precount....I am familiar with the pre count button.
Perhaps I am imagining things!!
Anyways, thanks again for your time!
Old 2013-01-10, 12:27

just move all your stuff one bar to the right an place your own recorded precount in front of it. then you can set your left looppoint at halfbar from the start and play from there. that should do it

i wish in a future version there will be an option to set the startpoint of your track so that you have the right time and the right bar count for your whole track. (and keep for example your looping stage of the track in front of the song)

greets
dan_g
Old 2013-01-10, 14:23

[QUOTE=d1986g;1215783]just move all your stuff one bar to the right an place your own recorded precount in front of it. then you can set your left looppoint at halfbar from the start and play from there. that should do it

i wish in a future version there will be an option to set the startpoint of your track so that you have the right time and the right bar count for your whole track. (and keep for example your looping stage of the track in front of the song)

greets
dan_g[/QUOTE

I will now move my intro to the end of the tune and add it in later. It is much better/easier than trying to "snap" new clips to 1/8 or 1/4 bar increments, unless you're zoomed in, of course. I am still sure I did read something about that in the 6.5 manual, I was skimming through pretty quickly though...who knows, I have been wrong before!