Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-13, 20:59

Arrow Need your help on this one!

Hi everyone!
i just uploaded a demo version of my latest production which i am planning to release soon. I want it to sound as good as possible so i decided i need some help and more ears on this. It includes 2 different masters in progress and i would like to know which one of the 2 previews included on this audio sounds better to you, if any of the 2, and if there is any element that you would like it louder or not.
I will appreciate any mixdown/mastering feedback, if in your opinion there is sth that needs improvement, so i can get the best out of it
Here is the link:
https://soundcloud.com/kevinsunray/k...sterinprogress

Let me know))
Old 2013-01-13, 21:13

If you want feedback on your mix you should post the raw mix without any mastering chain on it. Somethings need to be addressed in the mix and cannot be fixed with mastering. Are you aware that there are affordable online mastering services that'll master your tracks at a good rate.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:23

I need feedback on the audio as it sounds. Like it was a final product and to see generally the reaction and if there is sth i will have to notice or improve as usually i always think that sth is wrong and sometimes i end up destroying everything or making worst so more ears will be good at this time

PS: As for online mastering and generally mastering i cant afford , especially now, anything so i have to continue doing everything by my own till i have the ability to pay
Old 2013-01-15, 09:46

Vasilis, how is your mastering-approach? If you could give us a walk trough of your workflow?
Personally, I don't understand the word mastering.. after I read an interview with Skrillex (!) where he said "it is all about the mix". After that I do all in one project, mix and put on a limiter on the master bus. But then, I do rock music.

I listened one more time on your song, this time trough Koss Porta Pro and the first version is the best.. in my taste. Later you will probably hear the opposite. That is the beauty of music, there is (almost) no right or wrong
Old 2013-01-15, 12:11

I do agree with some of the concerns voiced in this thread: both examples sound flat, lifeless and almost mono to my ears.

The kick-bass combo doesn't punch like modern dance music usually does - it doesn't have the weight that it should have. I would try to create more space for these two in the mix, using EQ.

The otherwise very nice (for it's genre) epic synths sound as if they want to be wider. Maybe some panning or a subtle reverb on the anthem?

Now if any of that cannot be fixed in the mix and I had to choose between the two masters I'd go with the second option. Too much mids on the first one, it's like the claps/snare become the most prominent feature of your track.

Anyway just my opinion from listening on lavry DA-10 and AKG 271 MkII, a combo I listened to and worked on for over 1.000 hours.

Best of luck with your track!
Old 2013-01-15, 12:54

Not sure that the kick and bass sound not powerful, but i may have to give on the drums more punch via compression. I have already eq much on them and if i do more not sure that it will sound tight.
As for the synths will try add some more reverb but i want to avoid the space effect as i need them to sound straight. If u turn the track in mono it sounds as it should sound if u know what i mean.
The problem which is a pain for me is that i have a lead pad sidechained (the chords). In the first version i had just eq a bit. In the second version which is noticeable i cuted various high freq that was really annoying in my ears. The high ones. But i dont like how it sounds now... sounds like its via telephone or sth.

I think i should re-do the whole mixing. Most of people told me the 1st one is the best. Non producers liked it as it was... So this is sth i have to keep in mind too... We listen things that common people/listeners will not. And i actually i care about the general feeling that my track can give

As for the process...For this one i have mix bus enabled, 2 eq before stereo imager, then i have 3 compressors running, another eq where i have HP everything below 40hz and above 16khz. another eq for little boost and 2 ozone maximizers. On the first i have actually 2 Mclass maximizers instead of ozone. (Actually the compression is light... maybe this needs to be fixed to get more energy out of it)

PS: what i really afraid of is overcompression because my aim is club systems. Usually when i start compressing more the mix via my master chain (not limiting) it starts pumping more and i like it better but at the same time i am afraid of one thing. Not to overcompress it.
Better to explain... i dont have yet the ability to test my tracks to clubs so i cannot ensure what is going on. My studio monitors and my headphones will tell me sth but in the club i will be able to feel understand better some things...

Anyway not need to confuse me or you more... I will try to make it more pumping and clear and repost a file to hear later on.

Last edited by Vasilis; 2013-01-15 at 12:56. Reason: correction on master chain
Old 2013-01-13, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilis View Post
Hi everyone!
i just uploaded a demo version of my latest production which i am planning to release soon. I want it to sound as good as possible so i decided i need some help and more ears on this. It includes 2 different masters in progress and i would like to know which one of the 2 previews included on this audio sounds better to you, if any of the 2, and if there is any element that you would like it louder or not.
I will appreciate any mixdown/mastering feedback, if in your opinion there is sth that needs improvement, so i can get the best out of it
Here is the link:
https://soundcloud.com/kevinsunray/k...sterinprogress

Let me know))
Both mixes sound kinda flat to me, i would redo the whole mastering process and putt more emphasis on a warm sound.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Both mixes sound kinda flat to me, i would redo the whole mastering process and putt more emphasis on a warm sound.
How can you tell what the mix sounds like if he's already mastered it? Wouldn't you mean his masters? Op please post a link to your raw mix down i'd love to give your feedback on your mix. You want to make sure your mix sounds as best as possible first then worry about the mastering.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
How can you tell what the mix sounds like if he's already mastered it? Wouldn't you mean his masters? Op please post a link to your raw mix down i'd love to give your feedback on your mix. You want to make sure your mix sounds as best as possible first then worry about the mastering.
He has a link with 2 masters? Cant you just give the guy your opinion on the masters??

Last edited by PsyTale; 2013-01-13 at 21:43. Reason: Didnt like my own tone.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:26

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Thanks For example? More compression?