Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-22, 19:59

Question When is it you can mark a song made in for example G minor?

The title are pretty much my question, but when is it you call the song G minor, when the rest of the instruments perhaps are made in a different scale?

I know that Armin Van Buuren for example marks his burned cd's with the scale they are made in, but I do not really understand why and how I can start marking the song scale (if it's the correct word to use?)

Could use a Reason mentor.

The gear I use for production:

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4
Shure SRH 940 studio headphones.

I do not own that many RE's since I believe that everything I need, are already inside Reason.

Last edited by Csw91; 2013-01-22 at 20:03.
Old 2013-01-23, 16:08

Are you asking how to make a song in G minor? or when is it appropriate to label a tune as a song in g minor?
Old 2013-01-23, 16:10

Classical: When you have a root note of G and mostly play the minor third instead of the major one. (Note that sharps and flats are differentiated more in classical music due to different tunings, a G-minor piece can sound like a major key)
Jazz: When you play only chords that fit into the G-minor scale (and G is you root).

Last edited by normen; 2013-01-23 at 17:13.
Old 2013-01-23, 17:12

Thank you

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

I do not own that many RE's since I believe that everything I need, are already inside Reason.
Old 2013-01-23, 17:11

Both. Yea I didn't know how to describe it.

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-23, 17:45

Yeh basically having music based in G minor means that the music links closely to the note G...
Note B and E are both flattened so everytime you play a B or an E, you need to press the black key before it instead, Those black keys are called Bb (B flat) and Eb (E flat).
If you play the chord G + Bb+ D, which is the G minor chord... this chord should always feel like 'home' within the piece of music you are making because it is the root chord (The first chord of the G minor scale).

I tried explaining this the best I could without going to deep in to music theory. Just in case you don't know much music theory, it does help to maybe check a couple videos out on music theory on youtube which are aimed at producers, if you look for these videos, find the ones that talk about scales, harmony and melody.
Old 2013-01-23, 19:34

Let me make this as simple as I can

In relative (!) interval music theory, the most basic scale is DO RE MI FA SO LA TI
If you use all the white keys, this is C D E F G A B
So, C = Do, D = Re, F = Mi etc.

(Note that this is a relative scale, so it can be played in any context (note) as long as you have your intervals right)

The tone/semitone distance is: do 1 re 1 mi 1/2 fa 1 so 1 la 1 ti 1/2 do'
That's basically major

If you want minor, you take the "la", and make that your root note.
So in that case, you count like this:

LA TI DO RE MI FA SO
(When using white keys only, that would be A, B, C, D etc)
In which the tonos/semitonos are laid like so: la 1 ti 1/2 do 1 re 1 mi 1/2 fa 1 so 1 la'

So, when you have G minor, following a natural minor, this means that from the note G the intervals over the next 7 tones are like the ones I explained above. Taking the intervals that belong to minor (i.e. 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1) you'll get this:

G +1 = A
A +1/2 = Bb
Bb +1 = C
C +1 = D
D +1/2 = Eb
Eb +1 = F
F +1 = G

And that makes the circle of a natural G minor.

Considering the fact that this minor is in G, and that this means that G is the "la" in the harmonic scale, that means that, if you count back, the "do" would be the Bb. That means that if you play a Bb major scale, you'll use the same keys as when you play the G minor scale. The only thing different is the note you keep referring back to - the root note.

Have fun playing around with this. If you know this theory, making music is so much easier and more fun (Speaking from experience)

-Vinnie
Old 2013-01-23, 21:31

This is great! I will study this further, since I am taking piano lessons, but there haven't been any music theory yet.. The teacher just talks about nothing non usefuls thing. More like history than theory.

Thank you for the time you've put in this to get it quite detailed.

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-23, 21:28

Thank you very much!

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4