Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-31, 15:44
petbigg

Bands Using Reason

I am new to Reason and just wondering why more bands i.e. Rock and Punk are not using this as their go to DAW. I am finding everything I need here for the band I am working with. I have searched the Forum and the web and dont seem to see anyone listed as doing so. Am I missing something? I understand this a great product for Electronic artists but for a band it has everthying as well. Please let tme know your thoughts. After all I have watched videos of many guitairsts on YouTube using it but not bands?
Old 2013-01-31, 18:26

We abandoned SONAR for it. There's a few of us 'bands' using it but there also aren't a lot of bands here. Most are individual artists and electronic is the best medium for that expression. Not many can play every instrument so that's why you 'see' electronic but if you dig deeper into the forum and give it some time you'll start to see the rock / punk bands here.

The new track below is all recorded and mixed in Reason. Only the accenting bouncy synth in the last half is a Reason device sound. The rest is all guitar sounds. [edit] Sorry the drum samples are RDK2 samples.

Last edited by StormCanada; 2013-01-31 at 18:28.
Old 2013-01-31, 19:53

Someone made a thread awhile ago to try and list any bands who uses Reason in their setup, although the list is mainly dance and electro, and is pretty impossible to compile a conclusive list of all bands using reason, it's still an interesting list:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=173858
Old 2013-01-31, 20:47

Man, it has to be an outer body experience for Adam Fielding and RasCricket, well known Pheads-forum-contributers, to see their names on a list like that. Hope to see myself on the list one day soon
Old 2013-01-31, 20:54

I do know that there are a number of successful users on this forum who have used Reason in their productions. I myself are by no means a great or successful musician, i'm borderline hobbyist/musician, although I have performed live using reason, mainly backing electronics for symphony and orchestral like performances (part of my work here at london symphony orchestras digital tech group). Myself and my friend use Reason to record all our work, on our own this is mainly electronic varied stuff, together we try get some kind of free industrial blues like sound going, my friend or I on bass, and using Reasons amazing sounds.

There is also another friend of mine who plays acoustic guitar, kind of folk like stuff and he sings, I record all these sessions to Reason, and we're also looking to do more and venture into some 'Acoustic Metal' and get some electronics going (he used to make house music and gig with ReBirth quite a few years ago).

I guess it depends on the person using it, if you straight up just enjoy making music no matter what then it's very hard to find anything about reason to despise, but for some people it's just not another and they absolute crave and swear that their lives are ruined with out things such as audio quantize and MIDI OUT, which is just ridiculous on so many levels. So Reason is lacking a few features, isn't everything in life lacking something? It's never stopped anybody from expressing themselves. People these day's type up novels on computers, whereas some still write things down by hand, great novels, stories and pieces of writing are made either way.

I myself could never find myself using another DAW, i've used pro tools and logic and I hate them for composing, I don't mind their mixing environment though, but for me Reason is my number one stop for amazing sounds and sound processing capabilities.

Last edited by koma7; 2013-01-31 at 20:58.
Old 2013-01-31, 21:13

maybe there's some confusion on the term 'band'...

A band is an ensemble and the OP asked about ensembles in the rock / punk vein to see if those types of artists are using Reason. It didn't appear to be a statement on Reason itself and advantages / disadvantages. I think he just wanted to know if there are any rock or punk traditional ensembles (rock bands / punk bands) here.

If I look at that list, those are individual artists and individuals who collaborate with other individual artists.

Maybe I'll ask the question, who here is producing and composing as a true band? An ensemble, a cast of musicians, even a duet qualifies. Even in electronic styles....who here is a band? I think that was the OP's point of questioning. We are four members of a band who perform on stage together and write and record together with 2 of us being the songwriters of the band. Groove Armada being a good example from that list.

From that 'Artist' list, I count six bands (but have no real clue) so it's kind of proving the OP's point. Are there Bands using Reason?

The latest video had a 'band' are they a real a band that record and perform together? And are they users on the forum?
Old 2013-02-01, 15:52

I use Reason to record local bands in my project studio to be honest alot of the guitarists, real drummers, bass players and vocalists that i've worked with really don't have the inclination to really get into Reason. They are much more interested in playing live writing music and then recording a colaberative sessions with someone like me engineering. There's alot to be said for this way of recording and writing music, i often think and listen to alot of pure electronic music and think, sounds great, production is great but in a years time no one is going to be singing it or even remember it.. If you can play real instruments like guitars well and understand / use DAWS generally then that is not so common as you might think.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:52

my band the Qube is sort of, kind of, rock/electronic.... we use reason and protools
http://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube
Old 2013-02-01, 21:38

I must have missed you guys in the 'Post your Soundcloud' thread. You have a new follower Qube!

Thank for the fine comments petbigg. I got a little crazy production-wise but the song has been well received at live shows.
Old 2013-02-02, 20:35

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCanada View Post
I must have missed you guys in the 'Post your Soundcloud' thread. You have a new follower Qube!
wonderful, I'm listening to your tunes now. Great stuff. I'm following you as well (-: