Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-03, 14:17

Question "Choose a Scale & Key" option:

Propellerhead peoples!

My request, if it hasn't been asked yet:
Is it possible to have an option where a Scale & Key are chosen, and the piano roll only highlights those notes in the scale chosen? This would greatly help those untrained in Music Theory, and slowly teach them it simply by allowing them to have that ability during production. The feature can be added in the piano roll/edit mode at the top where it shows SNAP and the value of the snap grid. Plenty of space to the right of those options

Addition to this request:
If we already have notes in the piano roll, having Reason autodetect what scale the notes are in.

Propellerhead can be subtle music teachers at the same time of giving a gateway to people's creativity.

Anyone else interested in this? Bump it up if you feel this is a simple & easy feature to add!

THANK YOU for reading this far.
I LOVE YOU.
Old 2013-02-03, 15:21

I used to want a feature like this as well but you might want to try composing only in C Major or A minor then simply transpose your whole track/clip/song when you're finished.

Works great for me.
Old 2013-02-03, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMichaelAngelo View Post
Propellerhead peoples!

My request, if it hasn't been asked yet:
Is it possible to have an option where a Scale & Key are chosen, and the piano roll only highlights those notes in the scale chosen? This would greatly help those untrained in Music Theory, and slowly teach them it simply by allowing them to have that ability during production. The feature can be added in the piano roll/edit mode at the top where it shows SNAP and the value of the snap grid. Plenty of space to the right of those options

Addition to this request:
If we already have notes in the piano roll, having Reason autodetect what scale the notes are in.

Propellerhead can be subtle music teachers at the same time of giving a gateway to people's creativity.

Anyone else interested in this? Bump it up if you feel this is a simple & easy feature to add!

THANK YOU for reading this far.
I LOVE YOU.
Well, there are a couple of options you can do. 1- you can use the AutoArp to choose a specific scale you want, draw the note in the scale into an empty clip and copy and transpose them to all the octaves in the piano roll or 2- just buy the The Theory Refill and use this technique for both 1 and 2 to show the notes in the scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7kW7gqLRc
Old 2013-02-03, 17:03

SNB1 is spot-on about The Theory ReFill. Here’s another video done recently by Rob/PhiSequence of Reason101.net:

“.. The idea behind the Refill is simple: provide those without a lot of music theory knowledge under their belts a chance to take a look at all the possible scales and chords that are available.” -

http://www.reason101.net/contributions/the-theory-refill/
Old 2013-02-03, 22:09

Quote:
Is it possible to have an option where a Scale & Key are chosen, and the piano roll only highlights those notes in the scale chosen? This would greatly help those untrained in Music Theory, and slowly teach them
Take a look at AutoArp RE because it has the ability to set the key for arp and strum effects, which might help you out.

it also has a 'note correct' feature where if you play a note that's not in the scale, it plays the note in the scale that's closest to what you have played

EDIT: There's a setting to determine what autoarp will play if you play a note not in the scale - you can set it to play the next note down, next note up, play the note anyway, play nothing, or stop autoarp altogether.

AutoArp is on intro pricing through Feb 14.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-02-04 at 00:19.
Old 2013-02-04, 00:11

??? G is just as close - why F?
Old 2013-02-04, 08:58

All of these suggestions are nice, but when it comes to efficiency, they're terrible compared to the feature I'm suggesting. Why would I need to go into a whole refil when I can just click a drop window (like the snap-to-grid) and highly all the piano roll keys of a certain scale & key?

And the suggestion to have the "note correct" function is even worse I think. Then it teaches to just play random notes lazily and they'll be in key. It'd work well as a live performing device for sloppy keyboard players (like myself, who is a drummer/guitar player), but not as an audio production engineer.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:24

Quote:
All of these suggestions are nice, but when it comes to efficiency, they're terrible compared to the feature I'm suggesting. Why would I need to go into a whole refil when I can just click a drop window (like the snap-to-grid) and highly all the piano roll keys of a certain scale & key?

And the suggestion to have the "note correct" function is even worse I think. Then it teaches to just play random notes lazily and they'll be in key. It'd work well as a live performing device for sloppy keyboard players (like myself, who is a drummer/guitar player), but not as an audio production engineer.
As noted above, the "note correct" is optional. It's the default, but AutoArp ships with a patch called "force me to learn" where all the notes are set to "stop" when you play an incorrect one, which is a good setting for learning a new scale. Plus the note mapping module can be toggled off all together, allowing you to utilize the Arpeggiator/Sequencer modules based on your own input, while the visual display of the notes in the scale is still there for reference.

I'm a guitar player myself, so I couldn't care less about impressing people with my precision keyboard playing. I'll bust out some classical guitar playing if I want applause. But when it comes to sitting down to Reason, I really like not having to worry about being a good keyboardist. Like I said, if you want to be strict on yourself, that's an option. If you don't, the scale correction is very useful I find.

"Why would I need to...?" Because PH hasn't seen fit to add the feature you're requesting. So I did. Sure, it's not as elegant as being integrated into the sequencer/piano roll itself, but I suggest you give AutoArp a trial as it has many uses. Live performance being only one of them. And with 64 scales and 65 chord types, that's probably more options than PH would put in anyway (judging from other DAWs I've seen which usually have about 5-10 scales and maybe 5-10 chord types).
TrafficControl (in the RE shop)
Old 2013-02-09, 02:39

I bought the refill for Music Theory refill for $35 for now, so now that I'm somewhat happy with it, it still doesn't change the fact that Propellerhead can take that same Music Theory and or AutoArp refill, copy/paste all the work they did for it, and make every scale they'd like instead of the 5-10 scales and 5-10 chord types.

Progress is when things move forward; you took it forward a step with AutoArp, and Propellerhead can take their own software and take another [big] step forward.

I'm most likely going to have AutoArp in my arsenal in the future 99%, so me giving it a shot isn't really the issue for me. My idea (which isn't mine really), is to help out ALL PH users now and in the future who aren't musically educated.

BIG GUN SOUND

Last edited by AnthonyMichaelAngelo; 2013-02-09 at 02:40. Reason: Missed a word
Old 2013-02-05, 23:43

I'd love to see this as well!