Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-07, 12:02

Exclamation Using an electronic drum kit to MIDI with Reason?

Hello,

I am about to purchase an electronic drum kit - I want to know conclusively, if there's a way to use a MIDI / electronic drum kit, like a Roland V drum set; for example, to trigger drums in Reason, perhaps in Redrum or Kong.

I've seen no conclusive answers on this subject, could anyone help?

I'm running Reason 6.5 and ProTools 8 with an Mbox 2.

Thank you
Old 2013-02-07, 18:02

It's been pretty conclusive. There's lots of threads on this subject.

MIDI is MIDI and electronic drum kits work fine in Reason as long as the kit has the ability to adjust what notes it is sending. Do a search you'll find lots of threads.
Old 2013-02-07, 18:40

The simple amswer is 'yes, there's always a way'
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:21

Thank you guys, I have searched and searched - but I cannot find a list of drum kits that will definitely work with Reason. It's OK to say that there are lots of threads and that the kit must be able to adjust what notes it is sending... but what kits do this? Do all the Roland TD kits do this, for example? As they are what I am looking at, both new and used... thank you again
Old 2013-02-08, 01:01

Smile

I've successfully used an Alesis DM5 with reason. As it's a rather old module I think newer drum set controllers should be even more easy to get into cooperation.

Just have a look at the manual before you buy anything. Also you can always use MidiOX (a scriptable midi mapper/translator) to remap midi if you need to and your device does not offer this functionality.
Old 2013-02-08, 02:04

All devices that have MIDI can be used as drums. SO yes ALL KITS work with Reason. It would be impossible to compile one list for you personally.

Most kits that aren't kid's toys have a method to let you decide which notes you are sending from each pad. Alesis, as an example, uses the Trigger I/O as the brain and you set the notes there. Roland has their own brain module. It's going to require a little of your own work to inquire about the brain of each kit you're interested in.

But even if the kit didn't you can always set up samples in the NN-XT and use whatever notes the device is sending (like Rock Band Drums).

So, the answer is yes.