Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2013-02-09, 03:36
WestAm's Avatar
WestAm WestAm is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 322
Give us the tools we need

We need utilities! Give us a six or an eight band parametric EQ of a quality nature with different selectable EQ curves and filters. We need noise reduction utilities. We need a mono switch on the master out. We need better compressors and limiters. We need channel grouping. We do not really need anymore instruments from you, leave those to the RE developers so if people want more junk they can have it. I believe that Reason does not have the capabilities that most D.A.W's have....and I believe this because I use your software! but your software forces me to use other software with far superior editing capabilities and better utilities. If you would only put your focus into these areas I also believe you might just take the D.A.W world to a new level in combination with what Reason already has. Please listen to us! and stop with all the useless bullshit devices that don't really do anything but ruin good audio. Make us believe that your company cares about everyone of your customers not just the music makers. Who knows, maybe we'll see some more capability in another 10 years or so.
  #2  
Old 2013-02-09, 04:20
colcifer's Avatar
colcifer colcifer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,516
I'd like another synth or two in Reason 7...
  #3  
Old 2013-02-09, 12:49
JiggeryPokery's Avatar
JiggeryPokery JiggeryPokery is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
I'd like another synth or two in Reason 7...
There is not a single RE developer who'd like another synth in Reason 7. Props simply can't do that now. You see Props have the advantage that they could do techniques in Reason native that they and the rest of us can't (yet?) do in RE.

If they did another native synth now, especially one with features not available in RE, it would be like all RE devs co-funding a PH product that they're unable to create themselves and to compete with.

The same goes with other devices types. How would Blamsoft feel if R7 had a midi-2-cv splitter? How would Brian feel if R7 had an AutoArp clone? How would I feel if R7 had super-spiders?

This isn't like VST: Props earn money on every plugin device sold.

So Props can sell new RE devices in the Shop, but it would be a massively unfair advantage to bundle them free in Reason upgrades. They'd be insane to try it.

So I imagine R7 will be under-the-hood enhancement and usability upgrades, you know, like, um, Midi Out perhaps?! Heck, if we're lucky we might get ReXen!



@OP: there's a wide selection of excellent utilities, compressors, limiters and equalisers in the PropShop.
__________________
www.jiggery-pokery.com
Vintage Keyboard & Guitar ReFills for Reason

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2013-02-09 at 12:51.
  #4  
Old 2013-02-09, 17:17
VillaNDubstep's Avatar
VillaNDubstep VillaNDubstep is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
There is not a single RE developer who'd like another synth in Reason 7. Props simply can't do that now. You see Props have the advantage that they could do techniques in Reason native that they and the rest of us can't (yet?) do in RE.

If they did another native synth now, especially one with features not available in RE, it would be like all RE devs co-funding a PH product that they're unable to create themselves and to compete with.

The same goes with other devices types. How would Blamsoft feel if R7 had a midi-2-cv splitter? How would Brian feel if R7 had an AutoArp clone? How would I feel if R7 had super-spiders?

This isn't like VST: Props earn money on every plugin device sold.

So Props can sell new RE devices in the Shop, but it would be a massively unfair advantage to bundle them free in Reason upgrades. They'd be insane to try it.

So I imagine R7 will be under-the-hood enhancement and usability upgrades, you know, like, um, Midi Out perhaps?! Heck, if we're lucky we might get ReXen!



@OP: there's a wide selection of excellent utilities, compressors, limiters and equalisers in the PropShop.
I don't agree with what you're saying. I'd like props to revamp a few stock devices, RPG8, Mclass suite, Malstrom possibly and any other stock devices that would benefit from a revamp. But that's not allowed? You RE developers are allowed to update your devices so why can't the props?
If propellerhead include two new devices in the reason 7 upgrade that kicked ass, not possible in the current SDK, I would be much happier than paying more money for RE's that don't come close.
But I think you are right that props will focus on the other aspects of reason, features like auto-rex slicing, video sync etc.. Rather than actual devices.
Kind of annoying that RPG8 won't get the update though because I don't want autoarp, I want an updated RPG8.
  #5  
Old 2013-02-09, 17:49
JellyF's Avatar
JellyF JellyF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 384
I went to a propeller head seminar and they then said that their goal is to improve the workflow with every single update they release.
And it seems about right that now that you can buy your RE we don't need new instruments. What we need, and what Reason needs to be able to keep it up with Pro Tools and Logic for example, is better workflow, better editing. And I think they now that.

- Mono Button on Master Channel
- Bypass ALL Inserts and all mixer settings-button (For quick comparison with you raw material)
- Tab to transient
- Slicing all transients and snap to grid. Reason has a great algorithm for stretching audio, USE THAT!
- Sub groups
- Faster and easier way to make to mono tracks to a stereo-file
- Mp3 import/export
- Different kinds of solos. Don't remember the name for it but you now the solo when you solo next track, the recently soloed track mutes.
-More color choices for sequencer clips.
- Automation ability on Re-Grove Faders.
  #6  
Old 2013-02-09, 18:07
VillaNDubstep's Avatar
VillaNDubstep VillaNDubstep is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyF View Post
I went to a propeller head seminar and they then said that their goal is to improve the workflow with every single update they release.
And it seems about right that now that you can buy your RE we don't need new instruments. What we need, and what Reason needs to be able to keep it up with Pro Tools and Logic for example, is better workflow, better editing.
Completely agree, I just don't think they should abandon the idea of updating their current devices because some of their stock devices need it. Propellerhead themselves release new devices and it's good because people can choose wether they want it or not. I want to get radical piano because it adds something new to the rack and is pretty awesome but I wouldn't expect something like that to be part of a reason 7 upgrade.
Rack device updates don't even need to be part of a major update to be honest, maybe a reason 6.6 with just some devices seeing an overhaul.
  #7  
Old 2013-02-14, 02:39
devilfish's Avatar
devilfish devilfish is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,065
- Sub Groups
  #8  
Old 2013-02-09, 19:59
JiggeryPokery's Avatar
JiggeryPokery JiggeryPokery is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I don't agree with what you're saying. I'd like props to revamp a few stock devices, RPG8, Mclass suite, Malstrom possibly and any other stock devices that would benefit from a revamp. But that's not allowed? You RE developers are allowed to update your devices so why can't the props?
If propellerhead include two new devices in the reason 7 upgrade that kicked ass, not possible in the current SDK, I would be much happier than paying more money for RE's that don't come close.
But I think you are right that props will focus on the other aspects of reason, features like auto-rex slicing, video sync etc.. Rather than actual devices.
Kind of annoying that RPG8 won't get the update though because I don't want autoarp, I want an updated RPG8.
I think you're confusing what I'm saying about new devices with revamping old ones, they are not really related. Yes, it might be kind of annoying not to get updates to existing devices. But no-one that I'm aware of has suggested anything about not "allowing" Props to update their own devices! That would be crazy talk. However in practice there have been very, very few additions or improvements to native devices: ReMix EQ, a Combinator improvements, OctoRex, a couple of NNXT changes. I think that's about it!

Given that, after tax, Props earn up to 20% of the price you paid for a third-party RE, it would be nonsense for them to introduce, say, a 5-tap delay module as a native device in Reason X: it would kill sales of Urs' Uhbik-D and the 20% they've earned on each Uhbik-D sold would have effectively funded it. Now, if Props release a 5-tap delay as an RE in shop, then that's different, as it's a competing product in a free market.

This essentially applies to all devices in the shop.
__________________
www.jiggery-pokery.com
Vintage Keyboard & Guitar ReFills for Reason
  #9  
Old 2013-02-09, 20:12
colcifer's Avatar
colcifer colcifer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,516
U-he would effectively be subsidizing the five tap delay's development regardless of how it's distributed and I don't think 7 wil be a free upgrade. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  #10  
Old 2013-02-09, 20:22
VillaNDubstep's Avatar
VillaNDubstep VillaNDubstep is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
I think you're confusing what I'm saying about new devices with revamping old ones, they are not really related. Yes, it might be kind of annoying not to get updates to existing devices. But no-one that I'm aware of has suggested anything about not "allowing" Props to update their own devices! That would be crazy talk. However in practice there have been very, very few additions or improvements to native devices: ReMix EQ, a Combinator improvements, OctoRex, a couple of NNXT changes. I think that's about it!

Given that, after tax, Props earn up to 20% of the price you paid for a third-party RE, it would be nonsense for them to introduce, say, a 5-tap delay module as a native device in Reason X: it would kill sales of Urs' Uhbik-D and the 20% they've earned on each Uhbik-D sold would have effectively funded it. Now, if Props release a 5-tap delay as an RE in shop, then that's different, as it's a competing product in a free market.

This essentially applies to all devices in the shop.
My bad Because I want RPG8 to be updated I thought that would go against the auto arp, an Mclass update would go against all of the similar products but ye I pretty much agree with you now that I understand you fully. That's the beauty of the prop shop, not having to wait for a major update to get new devices and I've bought plenty of useful RE's since it's launch (your M/S RE included) and there's still some RE's I want to get but I'd be happy to see some revamps as well because it's just as important.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Save Princess Peach with MORE BASS! ::: NNXT Remix Competition Announced NNXT Music Forum (read only) 256 2011-10-24 19:20
Using Pro Tools With Record - System Overload!?! JMRobins Phead User Forum (read only) 1 2011-02-04 18:43
Transport Issues with Reason and Pro Tools Via Rewire Batmansam4 General Forum (read only) 4 2011-01-26 23:21
Reason freezes when Pro Tools 002 Rack is powered on Yamasa General Forum (read only) 1 2007-06-12 04:30
Is Reason 2.5 Compatible with Pro tools on Intel? ntsbsmt Phead User Forum (read only) 1 2007-01-21 05:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:49.