Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-10, 05:16

Question Is it me or is it a nightmare sendin...

Demo tunes to djs and like minded artists, you don't know if they have listened to your tracks or if they even care! Seems like these big name djs are to far up their own arses to give feedback on tunes! I've sent 40 links out and no replys! Should I bother!?
Old 2013-02-10, 05:45

unsolicited material goes straight in the trash.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-02-10, 05:53

Bollocks innit, bet they trash some real gems! What's the best way to go about it?
Old 2013-02-10, 06:10

No offense, and not wanting to rain on your parade, but you do have to put things into perspective.

A friend of mine went to see bands play on Thurs, Fri, and Sat, and wrote a column reviewing the performances.

Then he started getting 1-3 demos a week in the mail, listened to them, and started writing reviews of the demos as well as the live concerts.

Then he became known as someone who would review a demo album, and very quickly received 100+ demos per day in the mail.

Lets do some math.

100 demos submitted per day, randomly pick 1 song per submission, averaging 3 minutes per song, you are talking 300 minutes = 5 hours of listening per day, plus the time to write a review...

This, instead of what you do to make your own money? -not going to happen. ...gets out of hand really quickly.

A well know DJ makes money being a DJ and does not make money discovering another DJ.

So, what's the best way???

-Next time you have lunch with your connection in the music industry, make sure they are aware you are interested in breaking into the industry.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-02-10 at 06:33.
Old 2013-02-10, 07:31

Basic rule: assume anyone you've heard of will not be interested in anyone they haven't heard of.

Basic rule: cream rises

Basic rule: you have to be famous to get famous

Anything outside of that is a fairytale

Basic rule: fairys don't exist

Do what you do, get really good at it so you become famous from your own steam. Then people will want to know you and you have the chance to get properly famous.

Basic rule: don't bitch or no one will let you in / don't bitch or people will throw you out.

I hope somewhere in there are some clues for you. Sadly not all of us are going to get famous. Some of us make our peace with that. Some don't and leave the game.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2013-02-10, 07:42

I guess it really depends.

If you get a chance to actually talk to the DJ/Artist face to face and exchange some info your chances might become a little bit better. I've talked to a couple relatively big artists and gotten e-mails, etc, but that doesn't guarantee me anything.

I just treated them with respect and was a human being to them. I talked to them about my music and they were interested. I try not to flood them with any of my tracks either, because at the end of the day, they still may get dozens of emails a day from other artists as well (and who knows what else), The only time I will send them anything is if it's something I believe has the potential for them to spin live or in a DJ mix.

At the end of the day. They may get the e-mail or it might go in the trash. Stay consistent, but not to an extreme and who knows.

MY SIDE PROJECT:
Loading SoundCloud…

My SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/mistahfawkes
My Twitter: @MIstah_Fawkes
Old 2013-02-10, 07:50

You don't have to be famous to get a good tune heard, there's lots of brilliant underground artists that don't get heard but should be heard!