Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-12, 23:33

Smile Latest Release - [Tex - Cinematic Clubbing]

Hello. My Name is Tex. I started composing music over a decade ago. Back then I wrote all my songs in fasttracker and tetra composer (both .mod format). Since then a lot has happened..

I recently decided to upgrade to the latest Version of Reason. This is my first Track using Reason 6.5.
I still have to get used to the new mixing/mastering features. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Loading SoundCloud…

Enjoy

http://texrecords.weebly.com/

Last edited by simontex; 2013-02-12 at 23:43.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:57

Hi SimonTex,

The track has a nice vibe, maybe a little too much bass. But its not disturbing, sometimes i feel its surpressing other elements. While bass is very important, it should not overpower most of the time.

I am not one for repeating rhythms, your track has alot of these. Try and make a little more variation. Your percussion lacks alot. Rethink these!

The 303 like lead at around 2.45 is nice but the volume is too low, it needs more. It also needs more squelchy-ness.

These are my thoughts.
Old 2013-02-13, 08:04

Thank you very much for your feedback. I find it very hard to master the tracks. The new Reason 6.5 has a lot of fine tuning options with the mixer. I'll try to remaster the track with a little less bass (especially the parts where the bass is played with long notes). Also I'll try to rearrange some parts of the Kong / Redrum instruments.

I think I might have to buy a proper set of speakers. My stereo doesn't do the job well.

Thank you for listening.
Old 2013-02-13, 09:53

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontex View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback. I find it very hard to master the tracks. The new Reason 6.5 has a lot of fine tuning options with the mixer. I'll try to remaster the track with a little less bass (especially the parts where the bass is played with long notes). Also I'll try to rearrange some parts of the Kong / Redrum instruments.

I think I might have to buy a proper set of speakers. My stereo doesn't do the job well.

Thank you for listening.
It is hard to master tracks, I've been spending 10 years of time on mixing in reason and I am still learning new ways to get it better. This means its something that evolves, like the hearing of a person. You just need to step in and don't let go.

While speakers are the single most important thing when mixing, they are a hassle to get right in your specific room. It depends on how you perceive sound and how it reflects in your room. Speakers need time to sound better as well. They need to "warm up" so to say, if you buy speakers my advice would be to buy good ones straight away. Good monitor speakers make all the difference.

A stereo tower (with normal speakers) never reflect the sound you will get in the end. You need a clean output without bass settings or treble. This way you can be sure -in a way- that your music will sound similar on other speakers. Some producers use different kinds of speakers, because they want to be sure on every type of speaker the sound will have the best result.

You could start by buying a good headphones. I would advice the Beyer Dynamic 770 Pro, or the 990 pro. They are for sale at around 140 euros a piece and are brilliant with their sound. I have mixed and made music on a dt990 for years before i bought my current monitor speakers 4 years ago.

If you want to I could look at your mixing sometime and give you some advice.