Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-13, 18:29

Exclamation If you gonna MASTER ur SONG!

Hey propellerhead users,

got a question =).If you finish mixing your song, than you start to master it. And thats the problem .How I master a song? I mean you got:

4band compression, limiter, parallel compression
8 band compression,limiter, parallel compression and so on.

when to use a 4 band, when a 8 band? what are the "rules" for using them? Anybody who can help me pls?thanks a lot guys, and sry for my english =).
Old 2013-02-13, 19:36

Hard to say without hearing your song, and how well it's been mixed. I don't know much about mastering, but I really like Skrillex response to all this "mastering talk":

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...nd-more-510973

Hate or love his music..

I am waiting to hear from two mastering studios in Oslo. I asked them if it is possible to get a crash course at mastering. Still waiting for response..
Old 2013-02-13, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wensell View Post
Hard to say without hearing your song, and how well it's been mixed. I don't know much about mastering, but I really like Skrillex response to all this "mastering talk":

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...nd-more-510973

Hate or love his music..

I am waiting to hear from two mastering studios in Oslo. I asked them if it is possible to get a crash course at mastering. Still waiting for response..
read that right now, pretty clear what he is saying. especially the topic with mixing. keepn concentrating on mixing, if it´s getting better and better, you have to do less mastering. isn´t it? =)
Old 2013-02-13, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensityxc View Post
read that right now, pretty clear what he is saying. especially the topic with mixing. keepn concentrating on mixing, if it´s getting better and better, you have to do less mastering. isn´t it? =)
Mastering a song means that your make sure it sounds well on multiple types of speakers and changing the song accordingly. Thus, you make sure all the sounds you want to come through are coming through on those different types of speakers. Sometimes compression is the key (example would be for television) sometimes the key is good equalization and sometimes its just whatever your hearing or client is telling you. There is no standard list of "things todo" to master a track. But it certainly had nothing to do with adding only compression to a song!
Old 2013-02-16, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Mastering a song means that your make sure it sounds well on multiple types of speakers and changing the song accordingly. Thus, you make sure all the sounds you want to come through are coming through on those different types of speakers. Sometimes compression is the key (example would be for television) sometimes the key is good equalization and sometimes its just whatever your hearing or client is telling you. There is no standard list of "things todo" to master a track. But it certainly had nothing to do with adding only compression to a song!
thx for the feedback. that was very helpful. i think especially to try the songs out on multiple types of speakers. would be awesome if it´s only the compression
Old 2013-02-16, 18:10

just dont distort it out. add as lil effects as possible and keep it clear when you need it. distorting the parametes is what i hear alot from lots of home studio artist. just use your ear. its yoour biggest instrument. you gotta listen to it before you can dance to it . im no expert either all im saying is keeo it simple.
Old 2013-02-13, 21:01

Quote:
mastering is just the icing on the cupcake, and the cupcake being the mixdown.

the icing will make the cupcake look better, maybe even taste better.
but if the initial cupcake is shit, then theres only so much the icing can do.

mastering is kindof overrated. its really just a limiter, eq and compression.
the mixdown is the hardest part & requires more concentration.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-13, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoimagery View Post
mastering is just the icing on the cupcake, and the cupcake being the mixdown.

the icing will make the cupcake look better, maybe even taste better.
but if the initial cupcake is shit, then theres only so much the icing can do.

mastering is kindof overrated. its really just a limiter, eq and compression.
the mixdown is the hardest part & requires more concentration.
Your icon is disturbing yet interesting to look at.. Lets not further discuss that though, I don't think i agree on it being a limiter, eq and comp only. It requires a great deal of skill and patience aswel. Not everyone is made for mastering. I rarely hear good mastering anymore these days. I dont like my own masters most of the time either. Maybe my standard is different, but i 'd like to believe its more then just those three effects.
Old 2013-02-14, 03:17

I think most people who are asking for "mastering" are really looking for something else.

They are either looking to "Finalize" their mix with just a bit of spit and polish and have been led to believe that a mastering engineer or plugin will take their lifeless track and make it into a monster mash of Metallica's "Black" meets Infected Mushroom or whatever just hurt their eardrums. Which brings me to the second point...

Composition and engineering/mixing in the first place. Listen to that Metallica Black album and the kick is enormous but it is not the kick that makes it a good album. Listen to Giorgio Moroder and it is not actually any of the sounds that makes it groove. In both cases the sounds are well engineered but in actual fact it is the composition (incl lyrics) and playing that is the foundation of the funkiness.

Then and only then are the sounds massaged till they back the song. Everything has to come together in context of the song and its story; as a whole. That kick on Black is cool but on its own it would make a for a poor record (and in fact I think the constant "slam" of that record gets wearing so I find it hard to listen to it as a whole).

Learn to write a great track and then engineer and mix the sounds well, so they support your story (if your piece has no story then I question how good it really is, even that Bass In The Place London track has something resembling a story arc even though it is just a blam-fest).

Then Finalize your mix with a bit of limiting and maybe some EQ to subtly sweeten it and move on.

If, and only if, you happen to be making a record that is destined for the big time then get your distributor to send it all off to a pro Mastering house; Record Plant etc. Let them do it.

So again my message is that if you are asking about Mastering you are probably asking the wrong question.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2013-02-14, 03:09

Quote:
Hey propellerhead users,

got a question =).If you finish mixing your song, than you start to master it. And thats the problem .How I master a song? I mean you got:

4band compression, limiter, parallel compression
8 band compression,limiter, parallel compression and so on.

when to use a 4 band, when a 8 band? what are the "rules" for using them? Anybody who can help me pls?thanks a lot guys, and sry for my english =).
The questions you should be asking yourself is...

a. When to use compression
b. When to use limiting.
c. When to use EQ

FYI... parallel compression is not generally done in the mastering phase that is something that you do in the mix phase.