Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-17, 15:00

Question Best (Display) Monitor Setup for Reason 6.5?

I was wondering if people with a Display (IE Graphics/video, not speakers!) Monitor setup they were particularly happy with would care to share details of it. Photos of Reason 6.5 on said monitor(s) would be even better!

I was would be particularly interested in multi-screen setups, or ultra-wide monitors (eg Dell 29in UltraSharp U2913WM).

My old setup was a traditional monitor for the step sequencer, coupled with a second screen with a pivot rotated 90 degrees (IE vertically) for the rack. This worked great until the addition of the SSL mixer in Record came along.

I should mention I am an obsessive when it comes to workflow (anything to minimise clicks, keypresses, or dragging sliders around is a really big deal for me.

In case anyone cares, the driver for this question is that I'm speccing/building a new PC specifically as a dedicated device for Reason 6.5.

Thanks in advance folks!
Old 2013-02-17, 17:28

27 inch iMac I reckon...
Old 2013-02-17, 18:52

I currently have three 24 inch monitors.
Center - Sequencer (landscape)
Right - Mixer (landscape)
Left - Rack (portrait)

Plus one 22 inch monitor.
Far Left - Accessories (Rewire, Recycle, Sound Forge, Notepad, etc.)

I wish the SSL Mixer could be customized. I'd love to have the sliders wider and longer on portrait view.
Old 2013-02-17, 19:25

3 displays, from left to right:

19" 4:3 Dell LCD at 1024x768 for the Reason Rack, Connected via a USB Display Adapter
30" Dell at 2560x1600 for the SSL, connected via Thunderbolt with an Apple Displayport adapter
27" iMac at 2560x1440 for the Reason Sequencer

All in all it works quite nicely. My only real complaint is the lack of resolution-independence in Reason itself. I have to have the leftmost monitor at 1024x768 to be able to easily read the devices in the rack, and still sometimes that's trick because the screen is physically about 3 feet away from me. And on the higher-resolution displays, everything is way too small and almost unreadable unless I lean way in. I can't wait until Reason goes resolution-independent so we can adjust font sizes etc. in any way we need.

(Oh and in this photo, I have the SSL on the right and sequencer in the middle... I switched that around right after I took it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-25 20.45.31.jpg (100.3 KB, 96 views)

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-17, 19:27

Oh and with multiple-high-res-monitor setups, if you're on the Mac anyway... this is a must have:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/catc...39700005?mt=12

Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by vanKloot; 2013-02-17 at 19:29.
Old 2013-02-18, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post
3 displays, from left to right:

19" 4:3 Dell LCD at 1024x768 for the Reason Rack, Connected via a USB Display Adapter
30" Dell at 2560x1600 for the SSL, connected via Thunderbolt with an Apple Displayport adapter
27" iMac at 2560x1440 for the Reason Sequencer
That looks great; exactly the sort of thing I'm looking at doing. Funny how everyone seems to have a different instinctive 'feel' for what should go on which screen. For me, it's SSL on the left, sequencer centre and rack to the right.

One other question for peeps with very wide/multiple displays, how do you locate your speakers (audio monitors) around these so that their position isn't compromised by having the screen in the way/having to position them in sub-optimal positions in order to clear the screen?
Old 2013-02-18, 18:42

I mounted my speakers up on the wall in the corners of the room, facing inwards. Bought the mounts cheap from www.monoprice.com years ago. Also have a Sub to the left of my feet.

I'm sure it's not "acoustically correct" and I'm sure this room (basically a 10x10' box) is decidedly not-ideal from an acoustic point of view. But, I do what I can with what I got!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-18, 09:58

Thanks for all the responses folks, keep 'em coming!

I should mention that I've looked at the 27" Mac at a friend's house and the resolution was what made me think 1440P would be good. I was thinking of getting the 27" Mac for a while (given the intended use of the machine), but have now settled on a PC for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmoody View Post
I currently have three 24 inch monitors.
Center - Sequencer (landscape)
Right - Mixer (landscape)
Left - Rack (portrait)

Plus one 22 inch monitor.
Far Left - Accessories (Rewire, Recycle, Sound Forge, Notepad, etc.)

I wish the SSL Mixer could be customized. I'd love to have the sliders wider and longer on portrait view.
Nice setup! I had never considered a fourth monitor for 'tools', (specifically, the 'F8 Tool strip', Audacity, Notepad) thanks for the idea; I can certainly repurpose one of my current low-res monitors for this.

Any chance of a pic of it in action?
Also, what sort of graphics card are you using to drive 4 monitors (or are you using two off the motherboard's built-in graphics card and two off the dedicated graphics card)?

Out of interest, what led you to go for a landscaped monitor for the mixer (a portrait display with the whole of one channel strip on screen at one time would be brilliant)?
Old 2013-02-20, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeriJC View Post
Thanks for all the responses folks, keep 'em coming!

I should mention that I've looked at the 27" Mac at a friend's house and the resolution was what made me think 1440P would be good. I was thinking of getting the 27" Mac for a while (given the intended use of the machine), but have now settled on a PC for this project.

Nice setup! I had never considered a fourth monitor for 'tools', (specifically, the 'F8 Tool strip', Audacity, Notepad) thanks for the idea; I can certainly repurpose one of my current low-res monitors for this.

Any chance of a pic of it in action?
Also, what sort of graphics card are you using to drive 4 monitors (or are you using two off the motherboard's built-in graphics card and two off the dedicated graphics card)?

Out of interest, what led you to go for a landscaped monitor for the mixer (a portrait display with the whole of one channel strip on screen at one time would be brilliant)?
I'll try shoot a pic and post tonight...

I have two ATI Radeon cards one X1300/X1500 and a X1600 XT.

I really don't like the look of the entire channel strip on a portrait, the sliders appear to short and squat. That's why I say I'd prefer "customization" ability, it would be nice to lengthen and widen the sliders for instance. I use Reaper and I can customize the mixer it looks good in portrait view.

Last edited by kdmoody; 2013-02-21 at 02:27.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmoody View Post
I'll try shoot a pic and post tonight...

I have two ATI Radeon cards one X1300/X1500 and a X1600 XT.

I really don't like the look of the entire channel strip on a portrait, the sliders appear to short and squat. That's why I say I'd prefer "customization" ability, it would be nice to lengthen and widen the sliders for instance. I use Reaper and I can customize the mixer it looks good in portrait view.

I can't get far enough back to get a shot of all four at the same time...

Last edited by kdmoody; 2013-02-21 at 02:33.