Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-18, 10:08

fader automation: have i missed somethinng?

i want to be able to record fader automation on the main mixer; by this i mean that a have a song with sa6 6 channel strips and i want to be able to record the action of pulling them up and down...

i know this can be done for each individual channel strip, but this is less than ideal because not only a bit hit and miss but also time consuming.

back in the old days i could do what i wanted on the 14:2 mixer - as in recording a mix in real-time - but i can't find a way to do that using the main mixer.

is this a "non-feature" or am i missing something obvious?

any help would be greatly appreaciated

thanks
Old 2013-02-18, 10:36

I'm not sure I have the answer for you but 2 things come to mind.

1) you can Bind a controller to a device so I'm guessing that means you could bind a controller to a Mixer and records that 'performance"

2) if there isn't another solution you could use the Direct Out of each Mix Channel and wire into a 14:2 Mixer and the do your 'performance" as you used to. Either leave that there (no extra noise or anything) or drag the automation into the Mix Tracks and covert the Alien Clips (assuming the translate the data right).

I'm sure someone else has a better answer.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2013-02-18, 16:12

instead of me explaining skip to 6mins on this video it will show you how to group them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FbvJ7O2V4
Old 2013-02-18, 17:11

I wonder if the clue here is when the OP says:
"back in the old days i could do what i wanted on the 14:2 mixer"
Taking a guess here: I don't think this is about grouping etc, I think it may be about recording the movements of multiple faders at once in the Big Mixer like you could with the 14:2.

Since the 14:2 is a single device, it only needs one automation track. But with the Big Mixer, each channel is a separate device and needs it's own automation track. This means you must create a track for each channel before it can record automation moves.

I haven't found a way to create automation tracks for multiple faders at once, so you'll have to right-click on each fader and choose "Edit Automation". Note that only the most recently created automation track will be armed for recording, so you'll have to arm each track you wish to record, and then hit the record button and start automating!

This is one area where I feel Reason could improve a bit, by adding an "arm/disarm all or selected" (preferably in the mixer section as well as the sequencer section) and "suspend all" automation modes for temporarily disabling all automation (quite handy, actually). I find I use those commands quite a bit when using automation in other software. :-)
USA
Old 2013-02-18, 18:27

yes selig - that's what i wanted - guess i'll have to put it in the "request/ idea" forum (or whatever it's called.)