Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-18, 23:46

RE's anyone try buy this?

I'm looking at purchasing the PX7 FM Synthesizer RE. Anyone think this is the bomb of all Synthesizer RE's or can I go cheaper to find something else very similar?

TIA...
Old 2013-02-19, 00:07

For now, I can say that PX7 stands for its own because there is no other RE available that provides FM synthesis in such a flexibility and complexity. The main question is what kind of sound character you're looking for? And, how familiar are with FM synthesis. I am asking because FM synthesis is by far not as intuitive as subtractive synthesis is and it might take a longer time to get the sound that you desire. If you are familiar with FM synthesis and if you like the sound that a FM synthesizer is able to produce then PX7 will not disappoint you.... simply put: it's really worth it to buy it. :-)
Old 2013-02-19, 00:10

If you're not sure, then it's not for you. FM is a pain and PX7 is not a particularly user friendly implementation. Unless, of course, you're content with using existing presets; in that case, go for it.
Old 2013-02-19, 00:40

If FM synthesis is your cup. Then it's the only FM synth you can buy in the RE market... Even if you're not a synth guy, patch-wise, I think the PX7 has the most patches in the internet available and free, since you can download DX7's patches and use it with PX7...
Old 2013-02-19, 00:41
Banned

dudelab21 is right, you can get 100K patches for free, so 100 bucks cool bargain!
Old 2013-02-19, 01:31

Cool

Your question makes it rather obvious that you're not really sure what you're actually looking for.

The PX7 is a 1:1 recreation of a Yamaha DX7 FM synth. It's a powerful synth but you really have to be an synthesis guru to use it. FM synthesis is not for the faint of heart.

If you want a nice, powerful synth to learn, get an virtual-analogue subtractive synth like Viking or Antidote or something like Polysix. Subtractive synthesis sounds great (if different) as well and is MUCH easier to grasp.

You shouldn't dismiss the default synths coming with Reason either. Thor is a (relatively) easy to use powerhouse, Malström is probably the easiest yet still powerful synth I have ever used (also sounds great and unique) and even Subtractor can still be used for creating great sounds.
Old 2013-02-19, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
dudelab21 is right, you can get 100K patches for free, so 100 bucks cool bargain!
If he likes the sound of FM...
Old 2013-02-19, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
If you're not sure, then it's not for you. FM is a pain and PX7 is not a particularly user friendly implementation. Unless, of course, you're content with using existing presets; in that case, go for it.
I have to disagree on all levels there. FM seems confusing at first but isn't that hard to figure out, in fact with the manual it's pretty easy on a basic level. PX7 is user friendly I don't know why you would say it is not.
Oh and the presets are great, some really good ones in the banks but they're all old sort of sounds, but the PX7 is really good for the modern sounds you hear with the squelchy bass and growls, so don't feel like the presets show you everything because they don't.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I have to disagree on all levels there. FM seems confusing at first but isn't that hard to figure out, in fact with the manual it's pretty easy on a basic level. PX7 is user friendly I don't know why you would say it is not.
It's certainly harder to figure out than substractive synthesis where you juste have to select a basic waveform on the oscillator end...

There's always the option of just turning random knobs and seeing what happens but if you don't know what you're doing it's more or less like browsing an infinite library of terrible-sounding, often unusable patches.

Thor's FM pair synthesis *may* not be too difficult to figure out (and even then, figuring out a nice, harmonic-sounding pair/ratio requires some technical knowledge) but PX7 certainly is daunting for beginners.

Last edited by BoddAH; 2013-02-19 at 10:59.
Old 2013-02-19, 12:05

Its magic for nasty dubstep bass overtones with some distortion added to the outputs