Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-19, 00:30

Lightbulb Combinator Polyphony

Inspired by an idea awhile ago for a standalone device, this is an idea for just one, deceptively simple control that seems boring but could open up entirely new sonic palettes. In other words, a perfect match for the Combinator.

It would probably be a drop-down in the programmer, with the options "Passthrough, 1, 2, 3..." up to maybe 8.

Passthrough

Default setting. This gives you normal Combinator behavior, with all polyphony settings inside untouched.

The Combi will only send one voice key at a time to the instruments inside, regardless of their individual settings. Perfect for making that five-Subtractor poly into an instant monosynth.

2 ... 8

This is where it starts to get really interesting. The Combi works the same as in "1" mode, but for each new voice key, a new, virtual copy of the Combinator is activated.

What this means is that suddenly, that crazy Pulsar chain you put together can play chords, you can make complex pads with your Ochen K. modulars without having to tweak half a dozen knobs each time you adjust one parameter, and even Thor at last has as many per-voice envelopes as you could ever want.

There's much more, like using Scream to shape voices indivdually, using Matrix for poly envelopes... the possibilities from this comparatively simple control are massive. Obviously, CPU load is something to keep an eye on, though hopefully the fact that each virtual copy would be monophonic would keep it in check.

Thoughts?
Old 2013-02-19, 00:54

This suggestion sounds awfully familiar.

Last edited by Tokeijikaku; 2013-02-19 at 00:56.
Old 2013-02-19, 03:55

I had this memory of a thread once about a dedicated device that would do this, but all I could remember was that it contained a detailed sketch. I did some searching just now and found the thread... And I see you started it.

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/....php?t=146151r

That thread got off-topic pretty fast, but I think it's still a fantastic idea that really ought to find its way into Reason. I think adding the feature to the Combinator is probably a more Propellerhead way of doing it, especially given how hard it seems to have been for a lot of people to understand the concept as a standalone device, but I'd be happy to see it implemented either way.

(edit)

Re-reading the thread, I see now that I even suggested building the feature into the Combinator, albeit as a binary switch, not as a more familiar polyphony stepper. I think this new suggestion is still the best way, though, as it combines power with familiarity and ease of use.

Last edited by fieldframe; 2013-02-19 at 04:12.
Old 2013-02-19, 04:15

Perhaps it would, although I came up with some objections to it on page 3. I certainly can't say that I wouldn't welcome it either way, though.

I've been experimenting a lot with the A-Series 2 - it's very cool, and opens up an insane number of possibilities, but managing all the voices is a nightmare. Together with the Distributor, though, it is the indication of a demand that is hard to ignore.