Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:08
DjVinnie91 DjVinnie91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 191
Some issues that are VERY frustrating.

Scenario's

Scenario 1a.
> I start a track.
> Build something in half an hour.
> My USB stick that contains my samples somehow disconnects.
> I get the default message that a drive was disconnected improperly and it connects again. (I don't take it out.. I "touch" it, yes it's broken -need to buy a new one. No money atm)

> Can't save my file. Says:

"File not found:

The Operation could not be finished because a file could not be found"



> All done for nothing. Have to start all over again.

Scenario 1b.
> I start a track-> But save it right away.
> All goes well. Until my drive disconnects again.. somehow.
> Can't save progress...
> Find out I didn't save the progress I made since half an hour ago.
> Have to redo ALL of that AGAIN.

>>>> Fuck my life


Scenario 2a.
> Have small audio file of, like, 4mb.
> Have diskspace of like, 1GB left (Yes I paid €200 extra for a SSD of 128GB instead of a HDD of 750GB. Sue me)
> Can't import ANY audio file, because too little room left on disk. Even though the file I want to import is SOOOOO small.
> Damn

Scenario 2b < Read this one... I mean.. Seriously: What.the.fuck
> Have Thor selected in sequencer
> Press RECORD button to record MIDI (MIDI. M.I.D.I. ffs)
> Can't record because not enough diskspace left for AUDIO, it says. I want to record MIDI but I can't, because there's not enough room for AUDIO... WHY? Props, WHY?
> Fuck.My.Life


Aside from that. Reason is boss.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…

My collection
Instruments: Synapse Antidote - PX7 FM Synthesizer - A-Series 1 Modular Synth - A-Series 2 Modular Synth - Polysix - WBL5515 - AutoArp (Why is this with Instruments though?)
Creative FX : Resampler - Itsy - Polar - Echobode - Buffre - Glitch Effect - Audiomatic* - Red Queen
Studio FX: Stereo Splitter - 4Dyne - Saturation Knob - ReQ131 - Uhbik A - Ozone Maximizer
Utilities: CV Suite Line Processor - Morfin XF Crossfader - Shelob - Pulsar - WBL3001 - Directre - Measure - RE 180 - ReMark - 4 Phase LFO - Scope Junior

Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 / 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram / 128GB SSD / KRKKNS-8400 / M-Audio Radium '49 / Roland RD300GX / Jesus

Artist names: Vinn!e - Vincent - The Reverend - Mr. Jazzman
  #2  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:15
jkheal jkheal is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,576
You're life is so tragically and supremely f*cked, it's not even funny.

I won't sue you, but how about rejoining us neanderthals and get an actual spinning hard drive? SSDs are for pussies. And throw away that stupid flaky USB stick!
__________________
Jon Heal
---
Reason 7.0.1 • A computer • A few boxes that do something or other • Virtually no talent and/or skill

Ye Olde FishCAM
  #3  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:16
DjVinnie91 DjVinnie91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkheal View Post
You're life is so tragically and supremely f*cked, it's not even funny.

I won't sue you, but how about rejoining us neanderthals and get an actual spinning hard drive? SSDs are for pussies. And throw away that stupid flaky USB stick!
Well after two years my computer still boots in less than 15 seconds. And searching files shows all results nearly instantly. So.. The only thing I'll be going for will be SSD with more capacity.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…

My collection
Instruments: Synapse Antidote - PX7 FM Synthesizer - A-Series 1 Modular Synth - A-Series 2 Modular Synth - Polysix - WBL5515 - AutoArp (Why is this with Instruments though?)
Creative FX : Resampler - Itsy - Polar - Echobode - Buffre - Glitch Effect - Audiomatic* - Red Queen
Studio FX: Stereo Splitter - 4Dyne - Saturation Knob - ReQ131 - Uhbik A - Ozone Maximizer
Utilities: CV Suite Line Processor - Morfin XF Crossfader - Shelob - Pulsar - WBL3001 - Directre - Measure - RE 180 - ReMark - 4 Phase LFO - Scope Junior

Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 / 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram / 128GB SSD / KRKKNS-8400 / M-Audio Radium '49 / Roland RD300GX / Jesus

Artist names: Vinn!e - Vincent - The Reverend - Mr. Jazzman
  #4  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:20
jkheal jkheal is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjVinnie91 View Post
Well after two years my computer still boots in less than 15 seconds. And searching files shows all results nearly instantly. So.. The only thing I'll be going for will be SSD with more capacity.
Oh well I tried. But I must go now, I need shovel more coal into the steam-powered generator.
__________________
Jon Heal
---
Reason 7.0.1 • A computer • A few boxes that do something or other • Virtually no talent and/or skill

Ye Olde FishCAM
  #5  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:30
Dave909's Avatar
Dave909 Dave909 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,411
Only scenario 2b seems like a something needed fixing by the Props. All the rest are out of their control as you need the samples you use in your song to be present and the Props aren't really responsible for the cramped size of your HD
__________________
Check out Dave909
  #6  
Old 2013-02-19, 19:47
SteveDiverse's Avatar
SteveDiverse SteveDiverse is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,615
The problem fixing 1a (and 1b, which is an identical problem) is that Reason does not connect directly to the USB stick - the OS does.

The USB stick disconnecting is most likely caused by wear and tear on the USB Port and or the USB stick plug such that plastic and/or metal have worn down just enough to make the key loose in the port.

The weight of the key, however small it is, is just enough to cause the USB stick to 'sag' enough to cause the contacts to lose contact.

Once that happens, the OS drops the device.

Once a USB stick starts disconnecting, it's time to trash it and get a new one - they're pretty inexpensive.

I suggest brands like Sandisk and Kingston, which seem to hold up pretty well.

And when you plug/un-plug them, be as gentle as possible and put them in straight as possible.

Quickly sticking them in and pulling them out especially if at an angle, can cause accelerated wear and tear on the port and stick plug, which will result in the problem occurring more frequently.
__________________

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
  #7  
Old 2013-02-20, 00:48
DjVinnie91 DjVinnie91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
Only scenario 2b seems like a something needed fixing by the Props. All the rest are out of their control as you need the samples you use in your song to be present and the Props aren't really responsible for the cramped size of your HD
Yes. But since I don't want my samples to be self contained (yet), all it would need to save is the address to the sample, no? If next time it won't be there, let it fail loading NEXT time, but not when I try to save my entire song.

And that's right, they're not. But that's no excuse for them to tell me I can't load a sample BEFORE they even check how large the sample is? I mean, for a company that makes such a huge piece of software, it isn't weird for me to think they could've written it in such way, that I could still browse my samples, and if it would be too big, it would say so AFTER I try to load it. Not before. It's a huge bias. Almost discrimination against smaller sized samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
The problem fixing 1a (and 1b, which is an identical problem) is that Reason does not connect directly to the USB stick - the OS does.

The USB stick disconnecting is most likely caused by wear and tear on the USB Port and or the USB stick plug such that plastic and/or metal have worn down just enough to make the key loose in the port.

The weight of the key, however small it is, is just enough to cause the USB stick to 'sag' enough to cause the contacts to lose contact.

Once that happens, the OS drops the device.

Once a USB stick starts disconnecting, it's time to trash it and get a new one - they're pretty inexpensive.

I suggest brands like Sandisk and Kingston, which seem to hold up pretty well.

And when you plug/un-plug them, be as gentle as possible and put them in straight as possible.

Quickly sticking them in and pulling them out especially if at an angle, can cause accelerated wear and tear on the port and stick plug, which will result in the problem occurring more frequently.
This is all true. And I have been looking for a new device already. A classmate of mine dropped my laptop a while back and since that time my USB stick is really sensitive to the lightest touch. Which is a huge pita. (No homo)

But thanks for the reply. I was looking into sandisk. Those look quite useful.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…

My collection
Instruments: Synapse Antidote - PX7 FM Synthesizer - A-Series 1 Modular Synth - A-Series 2 Modular Synth - Polysix - WBL5515 - AutoArp (Why is this with Instruments though?)
Creative FX : Resampler - Itsy - Polar - Echobode - Buffre - Glitch Effect - Audiomatic* - Red Queen
Studio FX: Stereo Splitter - 4Dyne - Saturation Knob - ReQ131 - Uhbik A - Ozone Maximizer
Utilities: CV Suite Line Processor - Morfin XF Crossfader - Shelob - Pulsar - WBL3001 - Directre - Measure - RE 180 - ReMark - 4 Phase LFO - Scope Junior

Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 / 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram / 128GB SSD / KRKKNS-8400 / M-Audio Radium '49 / Roland RD300GX / Jesus

Artist names: Vinn!e - Vincent - The Reverend - Mr. Jazzman
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midi Latency issues rogg23 Phead User Forum (read only) 2 2012-07-23 22:46
Help with REWIRE workflow issues. funkstone Phead User Forum (read only) 3 2011-01-21 20:51
FS: Computer Music Magazine Collection Sale rollingsj General Forum (read only) 0 2007-07-16 16:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:41.