Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-20, 21:46

Been spending more time in Ableton

Can't tell you how much I want group tracks. Just takes me totally out of my workflow to have to wire up group tracks and then the whole solo issue, drives me crazy!

Duplicate clips. We have a duplicate option but it doesn't work on clips. That or be able to drag a clip out and have it repeat like Blocks work. Also make it work while the song is playing.

Spectrum analyzer! Every advanced Master tutorial video I watch has the Pro using the spectrum to locate Frequencies. All the Advanced VST mastering plugins have a spectrum analyzer.

Recycle/Slicing integration. You already know.

Can we get some communication?
Old 2013-02-20, 22:25

Oh, and the ability to punch in. Started recording vocals and realized there is no punch in feature or record between locators.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:45

On duplicate clips: control+drag. Also works when song is playing.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:47

Seems petty, but it's slow doing it that way. Control D & Drag is much faster.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:53

Yeah, that might be slightly faster in Ableton, but I still fucking hate Ableton's sequencer due to the way automation is handled. If you copy a clip in Ableton, it also copies the automation data, which is very annoying if you don't want that.

I'll stop ranting there.
Old 2013-02-21, 03:13

Also the way the track controls are on the right, why? It's just annoying.
Old 2013-02-21, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper8167 View Post
Oh, and the ability to punch in. Started recording vocals and realized there is no punch in feature or record between locators.
If you are referring to punch recording audio IMO I think Reason's setup is nicer.

Reason basically has punching, it is just not automatic. but there is nothing stopping you for recording your corrections over your bad take, double clicking the clip and then going into the comp editor to meld your new take into the old one.

A lot of people in Reason don't know about this feature and that is one of the features Props actually got right. Many DAWs have this feature but out of the ones I use, I like Reason's the best.

Ableton IMO is horrible when it comes to doing comps. It is one of the few DAWs without a dedicated comping system.

On a typical DAW (such as Reaper) I usually use two tracks to punch, I record the punch on the new track and after the recording I will comp the track into one.

In Reason I don't have to do it this way. I actually punch in how I do on an old tape recorder except Reason is better because you still have you old/new take and can go in and make the edit to cut the new take with the old take and you have all the crossfading tools to do it perfectly.

That said, I also have been using Live lately and on many areas (Session View, Warping, Slicing, Drum Racks, Simpler/Sampler, Zooming, Fold notes in piano roll, Mute notes in the piano roll, Snap to grid resolution goes to 1/65535ths, Drag&Drop, Grouping, Quicker Sidechaining setups, Track Freeze, Max4Live, Live Racks have 8 knobs, Live Racks are nestable, more esoteric factory synths, more quality factory sample libraries although Reason has waay more variety in its samples. VSTs and AudioUnits), it does a lot more elegantly than Reason.

But in other areas Reason does things better (Auto Arm track on selection, Can start arrange recording with one button click, Generally easier automation, Comping, CV, Full control of audio effect routing (although Live isn't a slouch here and in many cases a lot quicker for certain tasks), IMO better Factory Library less esoteric/more bread&butter, More quantity factory presets, IMO synths are more easier to understand, Remote is IMO better implemented than Live's Automap although Live has arguably more options for dedicated controllers, Cool REs and effects you cant get in VSTland, generally a bit more stable (although Ableton does a good job maintaining its stability compared to other DAWs) )

Both have their ups and downs.
Old 2013-02-21, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper8167 View Post
Can't tell you how much I want group tracks. Just takes me totally out of my workflow to have to wire up group tracks and then the whole solo issue, drives me crazy!

Duplicate clips. We have a duplicate option but it doesn't work on clips. That or be able to drag a clip out and have it repeat like Blocks work. Also make it work while the song is playing.

Spectrum analyzer! Every advanced Master tutorial video I watch has the Pro using the spectrum to locate Frequencies. All the Advanced VST mastering plugins have a spectrum analyzer.

Recycle/Slicing integration. You already know.

Can we get some communication?

I agree that REASON needs a little more basic options.

But when ever you feel down on REASON listing to what artist that are making money with REASON are actually achieving with this Software.

P.S: IT's not about ABLETON/REASON it's about YOU !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=5GscxfgH87A#!

Best Dance Music Mix and News on the planet http://www.reginaldleger.com/

Last edited by pjeudy; 2013-02-21 at 08:17.