Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-24, 13:25

"experimental electronica song w/ vocals" from upcoming concept album

eighteighty - it's a jungle out here https://soundcloud.com/eighteighty/0...ungle-out-here

Here's an excerpt I wrote for my upcoming website, on my upcoming first album release. It was extracted as a 16 bit file then converted to 192kb mp3 for quickness and size purposes. I'm getting it 'out of the box' mastered, then transfer to vinyl, then back to digital. I am going for a low-fi vintage quality with very modern approach to composition. Hope you like and would love feedback!:

i never made it to mexico
lp, 2013 (to be released)
total time: ~70 minutes

this album came a long way since its inception in 2007. it has gone through numerous musical and conceptual changes, and the overall sound wasn't really dialed in until february 2011, when my software proficiency finally caught up with my ambition. I now compose mostly in propellerhead's reason software. the title has kept its name since the 'i'd do it for you' chorus lyrics were scribbled into a photogram for a 2007 photography class, which prompted alternate choices to going on a planned trip to mexico.

'i never made it to mexico' is a two-part story about a man referenced only as "barnes" by a third-person narrator. he goes through what is perceived as a lucid journey, in between times of mental insanity.

the story starts with the second track 'trains', as the protagonist embarks on an adventure to remember what had happened from his last episodic lapse in stability. with only a few inclinations to go by, seeing a familiar clue at a train station reminds him of a lost love. born with his condition, he feels that he was rejected by her and was once again, forced into another delusional bout of madness and degradation. during the second part of the story, he slowly questions whether he imagined the woman or not, and if his struggle might be with his other incarnations.

the first numerical track, 'phoenix, 1986', is a message from barnes' consciousness, confusingly pleading with one of his cyclical manifestations, to try and eventually hold onto a single one. this would eventually save himself by holding onto a single personality instead of committing suicide every time he realizes who he is, and awakening as a new manifestation.

Last edited by MAGNET001; 2013-02-24 at 13:27.
Old 2013-02-24, 14:18

Really interesting soundscape you crafted here. I was impressed by the level of depth the track had

SC: https://soundcloud.com/dubious

If you want to collab, reach me at:
alacey1989@hotmail.com
https://twitter.com/LogicalPocket

Logical Pocket - Music fueled by biscuits.
Old 2013-02-24, 18:40

Thanks! I put several hundreds of hours into each track. Trying to be as original as I can! It's great to hear good feedback
Old 2013-02-25, 00:11

This may just be personal preference - but it kinda felt like the whole track was building up to something ... and then that something never really came. I mean, I'm still trying to figure out where the drums (you used) are coming from and where they're going ... It's like you're using a Thor bass drum with another thor clap - but why would you use a clap when this isn't a 'live' feel? I think you could've used a deep/low snare and you would've gotten a much better result.

It definitely took me on a trip though ... so I feel like you won half the battle and then kind of gave up. You got me intrigued ... but then I sort of felt alone in where I should go with this track. Good vocal use, too.
Old 2013-02-25, 05:10

I liked this track very much! It sounded like you put a lot of work into it.

It was unusual for glitch (in my experience) because it sounded like you actually had a problem in your signal chain! Nice long buildup.

The vocals reminded me of some of the more out-there Cure songs... sounded good and electronica is a good target for that style of singing.

I liked it!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-25, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
I liked this track very much! It sounded like you put a lot of work into it.

It was unusual for glitch (in my experience) because it sounded like you actually had a problem in your signal chain! Nice long buildup.

The vocals reminded me of some of the more out-there Cure songs... sounded good and electronica is a good target for that style of singing.

I liked it!
Thanks so much man; I had never sung before this record and I am heavily influenced by Anthony Green of Circa Survive and his annunciation seemed to come out in my voice.

The glitch parts- I'm really into experimenting on my own. I've never taken a class on reason or any tutorials so that I can have the most original approach possible.
Old 2013-02-25, 05:51

Btw vocals were recorded with a Rode compressor drum mic.

I'm already way into my next record and will be using my new MXL v67g
Old 2013-02-25, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdoggofnvf View Post
This may just be personal preference - but it kinda felt like the whole track was building up to something ... and then that something never really came. I mean, I'm still trying to figure out where the drums (you used) are coming from and where they're going ... It's like you're using a Thor bass drum with another thor clap - but why would you use a clap when this isn't a 'live' feel? I think you could've used a deep/low snare and you would've gotten a much better result.

It definitely took me on a trip though ... so I feel like you won half the battle and then kind of gave up. You got me intrigued ... but then I sort of felt alone in where I should go with this track. Good vocal use, too.
Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. I really need feedback: positive or negative. As to it seeming like it didnt hit a climax- it's song 6 out of a 13 song-cycle that tells a story. It feeds into the next track that is upbeat and extremely glitchy. As for the claps- I'm really into hip hop beats and claps