Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-12, 12:56

Which lever meter shows the end result?

Being a Reason newbie, I get overwhelmed by all the meters everywhere. I want a meter that shows what will end up in my exported audio (wav) file.

Having included an MClass Mastering Suite in the Master Inserts Section, I would expect that the MClass Maximizer Output level meter would show the final output. After all, the Maximizer is the last device in my MClass combo that is routed straight into the hardware interface.

Watching the big meter of the hardware interface, however, it shows levels way beyond 0 dB whereas the output level meter of the maximizer does *not* exceed 0 dB.

Why is there a difference? Which meter should I trust?

grateful for replies,
Sven
Old 2013-03-12, 13:22
Propellerhead

The meter on the Mixer Master Strip (the rightmost strip) shows the output at the Master Section Bus, i.e. the main output of the Mixer Master Section.

The Big Meter shows any input or output of the hardware interface, that is the interface to your audio driver.

If you have not changed the default routing from Mixer Master Out to Hardware Interface output 1+2, then the Big Meter and the Mixer Master Strip should show the same thing when Big Meter is set to Output 1+2.

Maybe the different scales and modes for the meters confuse you. The meter "mode" is shared between Mixer Master Section and Big Meter, i.e. changing it in one changes the other. The best GUI for changing it is in the Big Meter.

The manual and help files explain the different modes carefully.
Old 2013-03-12, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
The meter on the Mixer Master Strip (the rightmost strip) shows the output at the Master Section Bus, i.e. the main output of the Mixer Master Section.

The Big Meter shows any input or output of the hardware interface, that is the interface to your audio driver.

If you have not changed the default routing from Mixer Master Out to Hardware Interface output 1+2, then the Big Meter and the Mixer Master Strip should show the same thing when Big Meter is set to Output 1+2.

Maybe the different scales and modes for the meters confuse you. The meter "mode" is shared between Mixer Master Section and Big Meter, i.e. changing it in one changes the other. The best GUI for changing it is in the Big Meter.

The manual and help files explain the different modes carefully.
The Big Meter and the Mixer Master Strip show the same thing, but as I wrote in my initial post I don't understand the difference between these meters and *the MClass Maximizer Output level meter*.

I would be grateful to any replies that help me understand this, but I will study the manual too.

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-12, 18:33
Propellerhead

Aha, I just misunderstood you then. I thought you were monitoring the Maximizer level using the Mixer Master Section.

There should of course not be any difference between any two meters reading the same signal in the same mode. The manual doesn't suggest anything special about the Maximizer meter, but I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:17

Thanks, I hope you will shed some light on this issue tomorrow! :-)
Old 2013-03-13, 17:13

My finds so far: the peek value of the MClass Maximizer and the Big Meter are the same for a stationary signal, but the dynamics of the meters differ so they show transients differently.

The VU meters of these beasts seems very different from each other - I can not really understand or explain this.

Sorry if this seems to anal and maybe it doesn't really matter for practical applications, but these details matters to me when trying to understand the signal propagation.
Old 2013-03-13, 17:43
Propellerhead

svenh: Sorry for the late response.

You are right.

For a stationary signal such as a sine, all RMS meters have a defined absolute level.

For transient signals, there are characteristics to each RMS meter. Some have a 300 ms window, some much longer, on some everything is configurable.

So if you were monitoring a sine, the MClass and Big Meter+Mixer should show the same value (keeping in mind the offset parameter on the Big Meter).

For a drum loop, they might show different values depending on how long the RMS window is, and the falloff-time of the meter.