Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-12, 14:20

Does 7 lose the dongle?

Promo pic with the Reason Macbook amongst the modulars doesn't show an Ignition Key inserted.

Love the idea of MIDI out (finally!) in the new update, but to be honest, I've used Reason only sparingly since it's been dongled. I know the topic has been beaten to death, but I've got precious few slots left on both my Macbook and my iMac after all the MIDI devices, controllers, the Steinberg key, the iLok, my Waves license flash drive, etc. Would upgrade to 7 in a heartbeat if the Ignition Key has also been given the heave-ho... otherwise, I guess it's just on my "to be considered" list.

So... *does* 7 still require the dongle?
Old 2013-03-12, 14:21

Dongle is for the REs, you need a good copy protection when other companies are supposed to trust your shop. So.. No
Old 2013-03-12, 14:25

why would you want to lose it? it ensures that your licence cannot be ripped by some low-life on a dodgy torrent site. purchase a powered USB hub if you are running out of slots
Old 2013-03-12, 14:50

The dongle has never really been a problem. Yes, buy a USB hub.
Old 2013-03-12, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc2000 View Post
The dongle has never really been a problem.
Ugh, even I've learned to accept and maybe even appreciate the dongle, but I hate when people deem it reasonable to say shit like this that is nakedly bullshit on its face.
Old 2013-03-12, 15:58

Any way you slice it, no dongle would be very good news for anyone using Reason or REs live.

We'll have to wait and see, won't we?
Old 2013-03-12, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfielding View Post
Any way you slice it, no dongle would be very good news for anyone using Reason or REs live.

Theres Balance for that
Old 2013-03-12, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfielding View Post

Indeed we will. ;-)
USA
Old 2013-03-14, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
Ugh, even I've learned to accept and maybe even appreciate the dongle, but I hate when people deem it reasonable to say shit like this that is nakedly bullshit on its face.
Sorry, I agree, the dongle has never really been a problem for me either. It's pretty transparent at this point. Don't know why aspersions are thrown at folks that are expressing an honest opinion in regards to their own experience. Cheers!

Last edited by belltunes; 2013-03-14 at 14:49.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:18

The worst thing about the dongle is the size. It sticks out too far and is always in danger of getting damaged when used in my laptop. Surely the technology is there to make one that is about 1/4 the current size. I've seen smaller USB sticks already, and the dongle isn't a technological powerhouse that requires the size it currently has. Of course, then there would be an influx of complaints about it being too small and easily lost...