Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-03-14, 10:37

Cool The thorn in everyones side is "Mastering"

Hi I am new here, but felt compelled to make some noise about the serious lack of tools needed to do what I consider, the most important job with making your tracks sound brilliant with quality. To be able to export your track and burn to cd and having is sound great when played on any media device.

This is a must in my opinion, and is seems a shame that Propellerhead do not seem to be bothered with this aspect. Yet I can seriously visulize that this particular aspect could have Reason being the most competitive piece of kit in the world. No more rewire problems and no more having to fork out masses of money that no one has got, to purches other software to specifically do this job (that would no doubt incorparate tons of needles synths and sequencers and the like)

There has been some attempt at it from propellerhead, when they gave us the combinators and the mastering effects racks with some preesets. But this is still micky mouse in comparison to others out there. It still lacks the ability to add volume with out clipping and even when you think you have it right, when you come to play your track on other media it ends up sounding dead.

Are we still going to get new reason upgrades with needless synth and effects we dont need forever? or can propellerhead give us music making lovers what we really need? and that is (a blooming brilliant, easy to use and understand, very cost effective, simple download and patch in, noticably effective and works the best - mastering suit.

Yes yes, I know mastering is a black art....but isn't it about time in this digital era, that it isn't any more?
Old 2013-03-14, 10:41

The things that are actually necessary for mastering are stuff no software can deliver anyway.. Like the experienced ears and the listening setup..

And for that other stuff.. What do you mean the props can't be bothered? Reason is a DAW since 6.0, before it was a synth rack. Also why do you need ReWire to master? Mastering usually happens with the main bus mix or at least subgroup mixes. I guess everybody and their mum simply loaded up the bounced Reason file in whatever other app they used to edit audio until now...

So, solution: Buy more REs to make clear companies can make money with that and then go to the companies that do the plugins you are looking for for your masters
Old 2013-03-14, 11:11

Mastering is not the most important step to make your tracks sound good, proper mixing is. And for proper mixing, all tools are at hand now within Reason. I do all my "mastering" outside the box, because certain aspects can be achieved in a much smoother way with a dedicated plugin than with Reason
Old 2013-03-14, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenTNI View Post
Mastering is not the most important step to make your tracks sound good, proper mixing is. And for proper mixing, all tools are at hand now within Reason. I do all my "mastering" outside the box, because certain aspects can be achieved in a much smoother way with a dedicated plugin than with Reason
Wait wait.. Its the performance
Old 2013-03-14, 14:31

It's actually normal for people to use a separate mastering software no matter what DAW they use. Even Logic Pro used to have waveburner. Even so great mastering requires years of experience and a specified listening environment. If your masters don't sound good, I wouldn't say Reason is the core of the problem.

Website

Last edited by QVprod; 2013-03-14 at 15:28.
Old 2013-03-14, 14:54

I have actually move to Reason for mastering, the tools are all there. But it seems like your complaint is a CD burner app? Really?

PS I just mastered this record in Reason

http://sofiamargarita.bandcamp.com/
Old 2013-03-14, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubenx View Post
Hi I am new here, but felt compelled to make some noise about the serious lack of tools needed to do what I consider, the most important job with making your tracks sound brilliant with quality. To be able to export your track and burn to cd and having is sound great when played on any media device.

This is a must in my opinion, and is seems a shame that Propellerhead do not seem to be bothered with this aspect. Yet I can seriously visulize that this particular aspect could have Reason being the most competitive piece of kit in the world. No more rewire problems and no more having to fork out masses of money that no one has got, to purches other software to specifically do this job (that would no doubt incorparate tons of needles synths and sequencers and the like)

There has been some attempt at it from propellerhead, when they gave us the combinators and the mastering effects racks with some preesets. But this is still micky mouse in comparison to others out there. It still lacks the ability to add volume with out clipping and even when you think you have it right, when you come to play your track on other media it ends up sounding dead.

Are we still going to get new reason upgrades with needless synth and effects we dont need forever? or can propellerhead give us music making lovers what we really need? and that is (a blooming brilliant, easy to use and understand, very cost effective, simple download and patch in, noticably effective and works the best - mastering suit.

Yes yes, I know mastering is a black art....but isn't it about time in this digital era, that it isn't any more?

so wrong, there was an artical back in i think it was reason 4 days one of the major music magazine did it dont remember which one but they did a mastering test on a track
with pro tools and reason, cant remember what the mastering engineer name was but he was one of those what you would call platinum selling mastering engineer,anyways he never mastered in reason strictly pro tools but after he was finished the verdict was yes you can master in reason, most couldnt tell the difference between the two masters and the engineer said the only reason he could tell the difference is because he uses pro tools everyday. so now with the big mixer and rack extensions please people dont even say s@3t
Old 2013-03-16, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okang View Post
so wrong, there was an artical back in i think it was reason 4 days one of the major music magazine did it dont remember which one but they did a mastering test on a track
with pro tools and reason, cant remember what the mastering engineer name was but he was one of those what you would call platinum selling mastering engineer,anyways he never mastered in reason strictly pro tools but after he was finished the verdict was yes you can master in reason, most couldnt tell the difference between the two masters and the engineer said the only reason he could tell the difference is because he uses pro tools everyday. so now with the big mixer and rack extensions please people dont even say s@3t
I have my doughts about that, depending on the mastering and how hot the levels were.

I mean, the mclass limiter is a complete piece of crap compared to the top vst limiters. Lets say tracks peaks are at 0db, and push the limiter to increase 6db, the mclass sounds like a piece of shit and anyone that cant hear the difference has a hearing problem. Now we have the ozone limiter but back then with reason 4, mclass only, it was impossible to achive the same results as mastering vst's of protools or any other daw.
Old 2013-03-16, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind2069 View Post
I have my doughts about that, depending on the mastering and how hot the levels were.

I mean, the mclass limiter is a complete piece of crap compared to the top vst limiters. Lets say tracks peaks are at 0db, and push the limiter to increase 6db, the mclass sounds like a piece of shit and anyone that cant hear the difference has a hearing problem. Now we have the ozone limiter but back then with reason 4, mclass only, it was impossible to achive the same results as mastering vst's of protools or any other daw.
Mastering == pushing 6dB into a limiter that at least doesn't sound totally crap

Old 2013-03-16, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by normen View Post
Mastering == pushing 6dB into a limiter that at least doesn't sound totally crap
Yeah, all the talk about crap is kind of ironic - the thorn in my side is that nowadays mastering is synonymous with making your song look like a turd.