Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-17, 04:53

AutoSampler alternative in Reason

For those who don't know, Redmatica was a small Italian software shop that made some excellent tools for sampling, initially to extend the capabilities and improve the workflow of Logic's EXS24 sampler.

AutoSampler automated the process of sampling (software or hardware) MIDI instruments and turning the samples into multisampler patches, complete with optimized loop points, velocity layers, and round robin layers. NNXT is available as an output format in AutoSampler. I use it to not only document my favorite custom patches on my hardware synths but also to turn my monosynths into polys, and it works great.

Last year, Apple bought Redmatica and ended sales/support for its products, including AutoSampler.

Rumor has it that AutoSampler doesn't work on Mountain Lion, so it's a magnificent example of abandonware at the top of its game, in the grand tradition of Opcode Studio Vision and TextMate.

Now that Reason is adding MIDI out (and has previously added audio in and sampling), the basic framework is in place for a built-in automated NN-19 and NNXT MIDI multisample patch builder (feel free to come up with a better name). I'd love to see that as a feature in the next Reason iteration after 7.
Old 2013-03-17, 06:11

I had mentioned this in another thread. With MIDI out, this is now wide open for the Props to really let us add our hardware synths to the rack using NN-XT.
Old 2013-03-17, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonic5 View Post
I had mentioned this in another thread. With MIDI out, this is now wide open for the Props to really let us add our hardware synths to the rack using NN-XT.
Hey symphonic5, I also mentioned this in another thread (not even a feature request, just a positive R7 vibe thing), but it didn't get any attention. That's why I figured I'd make a new thread.

If one (albeit talented) man at Redmatica could do it well, I know the Props could nail it, and it would turn all of us Reason users itching to make use of MIDI out on our hardware into ReFill creators.
Old 2013-03-17, 18:02

OK, I found an earlier thread about a standalone tool for automatically building NNXT and Kong multisamples.

I'm glad to see interest in this. I'm holding off on upgrading to a new computer/OS so I can continue running AutoSampler, which I only use for Reason anyway. (Actually, I've imported the samples into Ableton's Sampler; it doesn't quite respond to the autolooping as cleanly--slight pops at the loop points that kind of add a cool, vinyl-like character, to be honest, but are difficult to control.)

A Props version (ideally built into Reason 7.5 or 8, but I'd settle for standalone) would solve this issue for me.

Last edited by persia; 2013-03-17 at 18:04. Reason: better anchor text in hyperlink