Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-20, 03:37

Angry Reason 7 Less for your Money

I love Reason but the Propellerhead company is turning to be ship and give you less for your money. Now with the Shop and Rack extension they will squeeze your pocket giving you a little taste in the upgrade with less instruments and effects and preferring sale the best in the propellerhead shop. I buy reason 6.0 and upgrade to reason 6.5 that just was for the (Rack extension upgrade ) and now the upgrade to 7 offering midi out and other small Features when other daws have some of that Features for years. When they introduce the Rack extension they got you there because you never are going to see again great instruments or effect like Thor, RV700 or Kong in the upgrade, a least if you buy it in the shop. Propellerhead are offering less for your money when the competition have better options and they are more open to the people for example Ableton Live, I never use it but I am considering to change to Ableton Live because they are giving more for your money than propellerheads. I think Propellerheads suppose to include some of the latest rack extension in the new upgrade like Rotor, Radical Keys or PX7 FM Synthesizer and be fair with the Reason user delivering more for the money. I hope that I am wrong but turning ship and arrogant with a product is nothing good and maybe can hurt the company in a short or long term, how is the competition and the economy on this time is better keep people in your side.
Old 2013-03-20, 03:52

Just because "other daws" have had a feature for years, doesn't make them small features. And unless you have a crytsal ball and can predict the future, we have no way of knowing what we will or will not "ever see again" in the future as far as effects or instruments go.

It seems perfectly logical to me, for the Props to offload the job of creating instruments and other devices to third parties via Rack Extensions, thereby allowing them to focus on the core of the program, workflow, etc. making it the best it can be.

Plus, REs mean we can pick or choose what new devices we get. Maybe I didn't much care about Kong because I was perfectly happy with Redrum, or maybe I do all my drums only in REX loops so was perfectly content using the OctoRex.

I personally prefer the notion that I can select only the devices that *I* want in my system, rather than paying for devices I might not really care so much about. For instance, if R7 included Rotor, Radical Keys, and PX7... it would also probably cost more and personally I don't care about Rotor, and am not that excited by even PX7. Radical keys I like very much but at this point have chosen not to pay for it because my piano needs are covered in other ways. I have the option here though, and options are good.

To me, this is a smart long term move for the company and ultimately gives the users the best of both worlds - talented creative third parties who will come up with more and better devices than the Props, and with much greater frequency - and a core company who can deliver the best DAW/Sequencing platform available. I'm very optimistic about the future of the program and I feel that Reason 7 is really a turning point.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-20, 04:51

Don't upgrade if u dont feel the value is there. Vote with your wallet.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:07

Less is more!
Old 2013-03-20, 05:17

But sometimes, less is just less, and more is just more.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-20, 05:59

There will be a free RE with R7.

My guess is it's that Audiomatic thing.
Old 2013-03-20, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post
But sometimes, less is just less, and more is just more.
Yeah your right, but he's complaining as if he knows the future plans for the Propellerhead company. Besides, the new features in Reason 7 are amazing, it's everything I've ever wanted and more. IDK if it's me, but I feel like a lot of people on this forum are extremely ungrateful. I bet the Props worked diligently through the days and nights to deliver us new features without compromising stability... Yet we still have ppl on the feature suggestions part of the forum complaining about VST support forgetting that RE's exist. I'm just so confused???!!! People should be thanking the Props for actually listening to us instead of complaining. That is all

Last edited by Carlitos; 2013-03-20 at 07:00.
Old 2013-03-21, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
Less is more!
not with my money adjusted for inflation
Old 2013-03-20, 21:57
hubyblake

These are great points. If Props just keep adding and adding instruments just because it's expected, you end up with a ludicrous amount of instruments doing essentially the same thing. Options paralysis.
They can't discontinue certain instruments or backwards compatibility is lost.
So the outsourcing vibe for future modules is great.
Look, Reason rocks pure and simple.

The only thing I'd like to see that isn't there is a good multiband compressor.
Yes, we can always run it out of rewire into something hosting a waves plugin, but it'd be great to have one inside Reason.

Thanks as always to Props for such a great product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post
Just because "other daws" have had a feature for years, doesn't make them small features. And unless you have a crytsal ball and can predict the future, we have no way of knowing what we will or will not "ever see again" in the future as far as effects or instruments go.

It seems perfectly logical to me, for the Props to offload the job of creating instruments and other devices to third parties via Rack Extensions, thereby allowing them to focus on the core of the program, workflow, etc. making it the best it can be.

Plus, REs mean we can pick or choose what new devices we get. Maybe I didn't much care about Kong because I was perfectly happy with Redrum, or maybe I do all my drums only in REX loops so was perfectly content using the OctoRex.

I personally prefer the notion that I can select only the devices that *I* want in my system, rather than paying for devices I might not really care so much about. For instance, if R7 included Rotor, Radical Keys, and PX7... it would also probably cost more and personally I don't care about Rotor, and am not that excited by even PX7. Radical keys I like very much but at this point have chosen not to pay for it because my piano needs are covered in other ways. I have the option here though, and options are good.

To me, this is a smart long term move for the company and ultimately gives the users the best of both worlds - talented creative third parties who will come up with more and better devices than the Props, and with much greater frequency - and a core company who can deliver the best DAW/Sequencing platform available. I'm very optimistic about the future of the program and I feel that Reason 7 is really a turning point.
Old 2013-03-20, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by efx0001 View Post
I love Reason but the Propellerhead company is turning to be ship and give you less for your money. Now with the Shop and Rack extension they will squeeze your pocket giving you a little taste in the upgrade with less instruments and effects and preferring sale the best in the propellerhead shop. I buy reason 6.0 and upgrade to reason 6.5 that just was for the (Rack extension upgrade ) and now the upgrade to 7 offering midi out and other small Features when other daws have some of that Features for years. When they introduce the Rack extension they got you there because you never are going to see again great instruments or effect like Thor, RV700 or Kong in the upgrade, a least if you buy it in the shop. Propellerhead are offering less for your money when the competition have better options and they are more open to the people for example Ableton Live, I never use it but I am considering to change to Ableton Live because they are giving more for your money than propellerheads. I think Propellerheads suppose to include some of the latest rack extension in the new upgrade like Rotor, Radical Keys or PX7 FM Synthesizer and be fair with the Reason user delivering more for the money. I hope that I am wrong but turning ship and arrogant with a product is nothing good and maybe can hurt the company in a short or long term, how is the competition and the economy on this time is better keep people in your side.
You made a good point here. With the advent of REs does it mean core Reason (without REs) will never expand to include new instruments and effects? That will be real bad. I wish Reason will grow to have the editing capabilities of DAWs like Cubase and Nuendo. These should be built into Reason, not developed and sold to us as RE devices.
By the way REs are the only ones shaking Reason's stability.