Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-22, 04:36

OT - Vector Lovers new LP

Nice sounding album. But I was just as interested in the write up on Boomkat;

http://boomkat.com/cds/670423-vector-lovers-iphonica

An album entirely crafted in Nanostudio on an iPhone 4 and a pair of Sennheiser HD25's. We'll let him explain: “Nanostudio is just like a more compact version of Reason, the software I used when I first began recording as Vector Lovers ... Keeping everything on my iPhone enabled me to capture ideas wherever inspiration struck. I'd hear a melody in my head and be recording it a few seconds later, or would sample a train announcement and drop it straight into a track while travelling. With Nanostudio I found making music more spontaneous again and I enjoyed the return to simplicity. It was a relief not getting sucked into that whole production thing, where you spend hours tweaking layer upon layer of EQ while forgetting the real work is in the arrangement... Working within the limitations of an iPhone has made me a better musician, if anything.”
Old 2013-03-22, 04:48

Cool! I discovered Vector Lovers' track Capsule For One a while a go. Wonderful track.

I'll check this one out. My experience with Nanostudio though has been, uh, quite the opposite. I missed the endless tweaking and soundshaping! Not to mention I instantly ran into not being able to automate the parameters I wanted.
Old 2013-03-22, 10:22

Good to see this here. He's actually a good friend of mine and lives in the same town as me

The first album was done in entirely in Reason 2.5 before he moved more towards hardware and Ableton Live. I think at that point Reason lost a lot of users due to the lack of MIDI and audio. This album was done entirely from Nanostudio on an iPhone (not even an iPad!). He gets a really good sound from it and although I haven't listened to the album yet the tracks I have heard sound really good. I tried it at his recommendation and it's a pretty capable app, I think I'd be able to finish tracks in it although I'd at least want an iPad sized screen. Having been a Reason user since v1 it's hard not to think of Reason when using Nanostudio, it is similar to the early versions.

He's aware of Rack Extensions and I'll have to let him know about MIDI out, although I think some of the synths are in storage. I'll keep tapping away though, would be good to have him back in the fold as a Reason user

Last edited by dioxide; 2013-03-22 at 10:24.
Old 2013-03-25, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
Good to see this here. He's actually a good friend of mine and lives in the same town as me

The first album was done in entirely in Reason 2.5 before he moved more towards hardware and Ableton Live. I think at that point Reason lost a lot of users due to the lack of MIDI and audio. This album was done entirely from Nanostudio on an iPhone (not even an iPad!). He gets a really good sound from it and although I haven't listened to the album yet the tracks I have heard sound really good. I tried it at his recommendation and it's a pretty capable app, I think I'd be able to finish tracks in it although I'd at least want an iPad sized screen. Having been a Reason user since v1 it's hard not to think of Reason when using Nanostudio, it is similar to the early versions.

He's aware of Rack Extensions and I'll have to let him know about MIDI out, although I think some of the synths are in storage. I'll keep tapping away though, would be good to have him back in the fold as a Reason user
Small Word Interesting to hear first album was all done on Reason 2.5. Great album. Goes to show in the right hands all the stuff about 'the Readon sound' was complete bollox!
Old 2013-03-25, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
Small Word Interesting to hear first album was all done on Reason 2.5. Great album. Goes to show in the right hands all the stuff about 'the Readon sound' was complete bollox!
Absolutely. And yeah I really like the first album. The graphics and everything really fit with the music also.
Old 2013-03-25, 15:04

I first came across Vector Lovers when I heard that Capsule For One was done in Reason. I had just started using the software and I guess I was young and still looking for assurances that great music could be made with the tools I was using.

this project looks really interesting. gonna give it a listen later. thanks for the heads up.
Old 2013-03-22, 10:27

Also from the Press Release:

Quote:
‘iPhonca’ is somewhat of a special release for Martin. This album celebrates ten years of his Vector Lovers project and, more solemnly, marks the end of it also. Everything has a lifespan and Martin is happy to have seen this project through to the natural end of its cycle.
He talked about this recently and I wasn't sure if that would be the case. Either way it's unlikely you've heard the last of him though, I think he just fancied a change. Still plenty of the back catalogue to buy though