Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-22, 21:21

best cpu for reason 6.5

I'm thinking about upgading my pc but i'm not sure what cpu to go with. I've read different articles comparing amd and intel (for the most part intel is more preferred).
Guess I thought I should be specific in my search since i will be buying reason balance and will be running 6.5. any suggestions? Also, I know I7 is th most powerful intel, but is it necessary or will an I5 work also? thanks
Old 2013-03-22, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisean View Post
I'm thinking about upgading my pc but i'm not sure what cpu to go with. I've read different articles comparing amd and intel (for the most part intel is more preferred).
Guess I thought I should be specific in my search since i will be buying reason balance and will be running 6.5. any suggestions? Also, I know I7 is th most powerful intel, but is it necessary or will an I5 work also? thanks
Intel i7, preferably the 3770k or greater. The i5 series doesn't do Hyperthreading.
Old 2013-03-22, 21:26

i currently have a 2600k and it handles the business well. i am looking at the newer i7 k series for an upgrade in the near future. basically the i7's are the way to go.
Old 2013-03-23, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Intel i7, preferably the 3770k or greater. The i5 series doesn't do Hyperthreading.
I also want to upgrade my computer and wondered if Hyperthreading improves merely the use of Reason.

Since the k models are more expensive I decided against it but I want a very fast computer for audio-related tasks.

I read that sometimes Hyperthreading slows down certain processes like games, because one real core also has to compute a virtual one and not every program uses the virtual one efficiently...

If you ensure that Reason will profit from getting the 3770k with activated HT I will probably go for it.
Old 2013-03-23, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessfee View Post
I also want to upgrade my computer and wondered if Hyperthreading improves merely the use of Reason.

Since the k models are more expensive I decided against it but I want a very fast computer for audio-related tasks.

I read that sometimes Hyperthreading slows down certain processes like games, because one real core also has to compute a virtual one and not every program uses the virtual one efficiently...

If you ensure that Reason will profit from getting the 3770k with activated HT I will probably go for it.
The "k" in the i7 series just means that they can easily be overclocked. If that's not your thing, then you can save a few bucks by getting the non-k version. That said, Reason does utilize Hyperthreading and it helps performance. Games may be hit or miss, but you can always turn Hyperthreading off for those instances if needed anyway.
Old 2013-03-23, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessfee View Post
Somewhere on the forum is a quote from PH developer JEngstrom about the fact that reason makes use of hyperthreading for everything it can in an effective manner. The exception is when rendering audio, I believe for the reason you mention, so it relies purely on physical cores for that.
In any case, the "K" tacked on to i7 processor models signify that they can be overclocked. As far as I know hyperthreading is a featue of all the new i7's
Here's a thread listing the differences between the 3770 and 3770K: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...70k-difference
Old 2013-03-23, 03:03

The k just means the multiplier is unlock able. If you are competent in building a computer swapping a cpu is not hard to do if you have never built a computer from an empty case it can be daunting. Though it isn't as had as it used to be.
Old 2013-03-23, 03:47

Today I installed my new hand build system, with i7 3770 cpu.

It's the one without th "K" , because I'm not an overclocker anymore (don't need the unlocked multiplier) and it was 36 euro's cheaper than the "K" version. So I put that 36 euro's on my SSD budget and got a super fast Samsung 128 GB SSD to run windows 7. It starts up in just 20 seconds ... amazing

I just tried all demosongs at lowest latency and I'm not even above one dsp bar.
Tomorow gonna load my heaviest projects my Q6600 quadcore could hardly handle, see how this i7 holds up

Last edited by Bonkhead; 2013-03-23 at 10:35.
Old 2013-03-23, 03:49

I just rebuilt my Windows desktop. I used i5-3570k, on a new Gigabyte Z77 motherboard. I added 16 GB of 1600MHz ram. Spent about $300. I couldn't be happier with Reason's performance in all aspects. You can save some money by not buying the i7 3770k, maybe up to $100.

As someone said, you will not take advantage of the i7's virtual cores in rendering your songs. On the flip side of my point above, you can find some sweet deals on processor and motherboard combos which may support your decision to get the i7. Checkout Microcenter if you have one in your area or their website. And I have no association with that company!

Most folks I know only get the i7 if they are doing video editing. Either way you go, you will not regret your decision.
Old 2013-03-22, 23:11

tx enochlight & sipher