Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

View Poll Results: Should the SSL Mixer include a value display for Volume, Pan and Width
Yes, in the very next Reason update 28 65.12%
Yes, but no rush 6 13.95%
Makes no differene to me 5 11.63%
No 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-03-25, 05:37

SSL Mixer Channel Value Display for Volume, Pan and Width

I've noticed many DAWs have permanent value displays for volume and pan. Would you please consider adding permanent displays that show the value of these parameters in Reason's SSL Mixer Channels? I believe this would improve efficiency and user experience. Below is a quick and dirty illustration of what I mean.
Thank you.

REASONISTAS INVENTORY
Sign up for Copy @ https://copy.com?r=oJPo1U, and we'll both get 5 GB of free cloud storage in addition to the FREE 15 GB.

kHs One | Song Challenge | "300&ONE" Community Refill
ReDominator | Song Challenge | "188aTOR" Community Refill

Last edited by NoelGMusic; 2013-03-25 at 06:45.
Old 2013-05-03, 06:10

There were a lot of different opinions about this suggestion in the Reason 7 beta forum. What does everyone here think about this idea?

Additional Suggestions from other PUF members included:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaKaos View Post
+1 and peak metering on all channels as an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiker01 View Post
Yeah. That would be really nice and maybe they could do it in a way one can type in values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmoody View Post
+1...
At the same time I'd rather have standard values, 3,6,12,16 etc as opposed to 568 or whatever equals 0dB.
While I'm at it I'd prefer the buss channel to be authentic "buss channel" rather than a normal channel with input availibilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenporter View Post
Great idea!
Also while at it, please give me real automation values of the mixer, i.e. Volume in dB rather than a value from 0-1000. Automating the mixer in reason is really complex because one will need to figure out how 0-1000 translates to dB.
Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
The other +1s I'll make (again and again) are for logical values for all parameters (dB for SSL faders as the obvious example), and peak metering for channels (something I've requested since Record).

REASONISTAS INVENTORY
Sign up for Copy @ https://copy.com?r=oJPo1U, and we'll both get 5 GB of free cloud storage in addition to the FREE 15 GB.

Last edited by NoelGMusic; 2013-05-04 at 04:07.
Old 2013-05-03, 06:31

Agree! Volume value!
Old 2013-05-03, 07:35

I don't feel a need to have the number permanently displayed. I'd like a doubleclick to enter value though.
Old 2013-05-03, 12:30

+1

also, if were at it, we need to be able to change the channels metering from peak to rms like the master channel. i find mysself always soloing the channel i want then look at the master channels for the peak.

sad

Jordi - One Way (Original Mix)
Loading SoundCloud…

Fanpage:
www.facebook.com/JordFans

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#jordprod

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JordProdMusic

Sound Cloud
http://soundcloud.com/jordprod-gmail-com
Old 2013-05-03, 13:15

Just an individual peak indicator for each channel would suffice. Single red led in the space above/below the fader maybe.

Also I think displaying the fader/pan values would clutter the area too much but double click to enter value would be great, that goes for all controls really.
Old 2013-05-03, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoeier View Post
I don't feel a need to have the number permanently displayed. I'd like a doubleclick to enter value though.
+1 on this for sure. Numeric displays are great if there's no other indication of control position. But in Reason, most control's positions are pretty obvious, and hovering already allows you to view that value.

The other +1s I'll make (again and again) are for logical values for all parameters (dB for SSL faders as the obvious example), and peak metering for channels (something I've requested since Record).

@ kmoodly: what's an 'authentic' bus channel, and how does the current implementation differ? :-)
USA
Old 2013-05-04, 04:10

Quote:
+1 on this for sure. Numeric displays are great if there's no other indication of control position. But in Reason, most control's positions are pretty obvious, and hovering already allows you to view that value.

@ kmoodly: what's an 'authentic' bus channel, and how does the current implementation differ? :-)
I guess it comes down to personal preference so the ideal would be to allow the user to turn these visual value displays on and off (that would be revolutionary). As for your second comment, I couldn't agree more. BTW, I selfishly only quoted your second comment in my list of further suggestions...

REASONISTAS INVENTORY

Old 2013-05-07, 00:43

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Amen! The Props know my gripe about displaying everything in midi value... I love the sound of Subtractor but it can be a PITA to program, not having a useful unit by which to measure parameters! And peak metering is just the only sensible thing. I don't know who said it first but there's a great adage (paraphrased): VU can mean two different things, in music production. In the analogue realm, it stands for volume unit; in the digital realm, it stands for virtually useless.
Old 2013-05-06, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelGMusic View Post
I've noticed many DAWs have permanent value displays for volume and pan. Would you please consider adding permanent displays that show the value of these parameters in Reason's SSL Mixer Channels? I believe this would improve efficiency and user experience. Below is a quick and dirty illustration of what I mean.
Thank you.
This is a good good suggestion! Great Noel!