Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2013-03-26, 21:25
mrjassonturner's Avatar
mrjassonturner mrjassonturner is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 332
Smile Almost Perfect.

Good day. I just recently purchased Reason 6.5 in anticipation for 7. I have been using Reason since reason 3. Purchased 4 in California. Downloaded 5 because my original copy of 4 was in storage in another state. Finally broke down and bought Reason for the 2nd time...smh Now I said all of that to illustrate how long I have been using the program. I loooooooooove Reason. I think it's up there with the best of them (Cubase, Logic, ProTools, etc...all without the implementation of use of 3rd party plug-ins. I loooooooove the way 6.5 sounds. Don't know if it's the 64 bit...32bit float...but OMG! Anyway, here are some nit picky things you could add to make Reason use more convenient.

Note: I heard in Reason 7, you will be adding group/bus channels. 10 thumbs up for that!! But I hope you can "Solo Defeat" them as well

1.Add "Record Enable" to the devices on the rack.
2.Bring back "Command"+1or2...and now 3. (2key strokes...I know...I'm too used to it now )
3.Shift should work the same way in the sequencer window as it does in the rack.
4.In the "DYN section" of the mixer channel strip, PLEASE, reset the compressor release sooner than 100ml/sec.
5.Make a device with a multi(4-6-8band)band EQ.
6.Make a device with a multiband compressor
7.Add dB meters to the channels
8.Add min/sec to the sequencer grid(super nit picky request..I know)
(And how could I almost forget this one? Last but certainly not least.)
9.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Add faders to the mixer/audio(device) channels on the rack...if you add nothing else.

https://soundcloud.com/beastoutthebox

Last edited by mrjassonturner; 2013-03-26 at 21:34.
  #2  
Old 2013-03-27, 01:51
nickmorgan19457's Avatar
nickmorgan19457 nickmorgan19457 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjassonturner View Post
1.Add "Record Enable" to the devices on the rack.
2.Bring back "Command"+1or2...and now 3. (2key strokes...I know...I'm too used to it now )
3.Shift should work the same way in the sequencer window as it does in the rack.
4.In the "DYN section" of the mixer channel strip, PLEASE, reset the compressor release sooner than 100ml/sec.
5.Make a device with a multi(4-6-8band)band EQ.
6.Make a device with a multiband compressor
7.Add dB meters to the channels
8.Add min/sec to the sequencer grid(super nit picky request..I know)
(And how could I almost forget this one? Last but certainly not least.)
9.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Add faders to the mixer/audio(device) channels on the rack...if you add nothing else.
1) Good
4) I doubt this will happen, seeing as it's modeled after the actual channel strip comp from the SSL 9000.
5) What's wrong with the M-Class?
6) Easily made with the stereo splitter
9) They did with Reason 7

Last edited by nickmorgan19457; 2013-03-27 at 08:06.
  #3  
Old 2013-04-25, 02:53
mrjassonturner's Avatar
mrjassonturner mrjassonturner is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 332
RE: plus More ideas to make Reason life easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 View Post
1) Good
4) I doubt this will happen, seeing as it's modeled after the actual channel strip comp from the SSL 9000.
5) What's wrong with the M-Class?
6) Easily made with the stereo splitter
9) They did with Reason 7
I realize it's modeled after the SSL 9000K...I think..., but it's not the SSL by a long shot. If I want to compress a kick, snare, hat, etc...I don't think I want my release set at 100 ml/sec Nothing wrong with the M-Class...just not enough bands for me. Now when you say, "easily made with the stereo splitter", what do you mean?

And...Here are some more suggestions as well...

...
10)Can you please give Kong 8 more output assignments. Unless there is something I am not aware of...I don't understand why you would give Kong 16 pads with only 8 stereo outs....????
11)The OctoRex would be awesome if you could play each bank simultaneously, instead of alternating.
12)Adding "Time Stretch/Pitch Shift" in the "Edit Sample" Window would be just as awesome.
13)When you copy a sample...say in Kong...let it be an actual copy. This would make sample editing/chopping in devices much easier. This way I could edit the copy of the sample without effecting the original...btw renaming doesn't help.

Note: This is very annoying. I know the sample I want to use. I know that I want to chop the sample into different pieces on separate pads. Even if I loaded the same wave file...SEPARATELY...on different pads...if you edit 1 pad...it will effect the other 15 pads if they have the same sample....very problematic for me. There should be an option to "duplicate" or "copy" the sample.

14)The ability to save settings to All fx would be nice. Example...I use the 2-band Eq as a pre filter(lo or hi band pass...depends) It would be nice if I could save a preset for a hi or lo band pass filter since I use this eq on just about every track.
15)Drag and Drop for Audio.....at least...to and from the sequencer window and devices would be a very convenient feature to add to the software. I audition loops or chopped samples in Kong only to find out they need to be stretched or shrunk.

Loading SoundCloud…
  #4  
Old 2013-04-25, 10:28
scifunk's Avatar
scifunk scifunk is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 926
Pan each kong pad hard left or right for 16 mono channels. If you want more stereo outs use 2 Kongs. .

There are various multiband compressors in the factory sound bank and there's also a RE

Use multiple eqs linked together for as many bands as you want.

You're doing something wrong if editing one pad sample is affecting another. You can have multiple versions of the same sample set up on each pad I believe ie to react differently to velocity for instance.

If you want to play multiple Rex loops, use multiple Rex players.
__________________
Scientific Funk & Cactus Jack - deep house, tech-house and techno

Last edited by scifunk; 2013-04-25 at 10:37.
  #5  
Old 2013-04-27, 00:01
mrjassonturner's Avatar
mrjassonturner mrjassonturner is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
Pan each kong pad hard left or right for 16 mono channels. If you want more stereo outs use 2 Kongs. .

There are various multiband compressors in the factory sound bank and there's also a RE

Use multiple eqs linked together for as many bands as you want.

You're doing something wrong if editing one pad sample is affecting another. You can have multiple versions of the same sample set up on each pad I believe ie to react differently to velocity for instance.

If you want to play multiple Rex loops, use multiple Rex players.
Panning to the left or right will do just that...pan your sound to the hard left or right. Kicks and snares in types of music I create usually land right in the middle of the mix...so one would not achieve these results using your panning method.

And, I use 2 Kongs already...sometimes 3...but that was my point. It makes the other 8 pads useless if you want to mix individual sounds on all 16 pads of 1 device.

Are you talking about a device or preset when you say, "there are several in the factory sound bank"?

You try to pre load 16 pads with the same wav.file...then edit the first pad and you tell me what happens.

Hello...I use multiple Rex's...but whats the point of having 8 in 1 when you could have done the same as having say 2 or 3 of the old version Rex device?

Last edited by mrjassonturner; 2013-04-27 at 00:21.
  #6  
Old 2013-04-25, 17:48
selig's Avatar
selig selig is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjassonturner View Post
I realize it's modeled after the SSL 9000K...I think..., but it's not the SSL by a long shot.
I have found it to be very similar to the SSL, and I can do all the same tricks I've been doing on the SSL for decades - where does it fall down to you? :-)
__________________
Giles Reaves, aka 'selig'
Audio Illusionist, Musical Technologist
Selig Audio, LLC
USA

Last edited by selig; 2013-04-26 at 01:13.
  #7  
Old 2013-04-25, 22:01
Nazlive's Avatar
Nazlive Nazlive is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 89
Record Enable on devices would be great. Like selecting the device with cmd+ click on record. But with the F5, F6 and F7 is also good enough maybe. Too many options is not preferable.
__________________
'Exploring all the possibilities in Reason is like a Rubik's cube'
  #8  
Old 2013-04-27, 00:16
mrjassonturner's Avatar
mrjassonturner mrjassonturner is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 332
Too many options are not good is right. I like that signature, too. Some of my buddies have Reason and say they use other Daws because they get tired of it... (??!!!??!!!) How??? I'm like have you mastered it, yet? If only they knew the possibilities. And with these new features coming out for 7, and the introduction of rack extensions....it's all uphill from here.
  #9  
Old 2013-04-27, 00:09
mrjassonturner's Avatar
mrjassonturner mrjassonturner is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 332
Wink RE

[QUOTE=selig;1296179]I have found it to be very similar to the SSL, and I can do all the same tricks I've been doing on the SSL for decades - where does it fall down to you? :-)[/QUOTE

The obvious, it's not Analog for 1. 2., 150 ml/s release. Now if you have money for an SSL K...not you as in YOU...but YOU in general...then you have many other forms of outboard gear including compressors. So not many mixers even use the SSL channel strip compressor to mix drums anyway. The only problem is Reason doesn't offer you the option for an outboard alternative...and the other alternatives...well. If this is suppose to be the DAW version of the SSL, I'd want to compress, gate, filter, eq...not specifically in that order...everything in the SSL...wouldn't you think? Not being facetious btw

Last edited by mrjassonturner; 2013-04-27 at 00:19.
  #10  
Old 2013-04-29, 01:54
QVprod's Avatar
QVprod QVprod is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjassonturner View Post
If this is suppose to be the DAW version of the SSL, I'd want to compress, gate, filter, eq...not specifically in that order...everything in the SSL...wouldn't you think? Not being facetious btw
You can't?
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect crossfade combinator + pre/post NaviRetlav Phead User Forum (read only) 7 2010-12-26 19:26
What A Perfect Storm Of Bait And Switch? highmarcs General Forum (read only) 98 2010-08-26 03:32
"Perfect Day" pr0g7r0n1c Music Forum (read only) 4 2003-12-18 22:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:26.