Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-30, 19:47

Guitar Amp a thing of the past?

With the Line6 virtual amps in Reason 6 and beyond, does this effectively mean that I can get rid of my real-world guitar amplifier? While what I own is powerful enough to perform a small gig, its only a solid state amp with no real warmth nor any fantastic onboard effects. For home use, its really always annoyed me because I can't keep the volume down low enough for domestic situations, and often like to play very late at night. Honestly, I'm not a young guy anymore, so ear shattering volume isnt what I am seeking anymore (although my distortion is often set to 11!).

And with Reason's infinite device routing capabilities as a purely electronic platform, can I assume that this carries over to the guitar, as in could I build a combinator for my guitar signal and play some strange and unusual unique tones that would be otherwise impossible with real amps and pedals.
Old 2013-03-30, 20:19

It depends.

The Line 6 amp implementation in Reason has its issues.

First is the perception by some guitar aficionados that no amp simulation at all sounds as "good" as real hardware. This is a matter of opinion, but some people have very strong opinions on this subject. Then there is the question of whether Line 6 is worse or better than plug-ins by other companies. Also a matter of opinion.

On a more technical note: what amp and cabinet models are available to you will depend on what sort of other Line 6 products you might have. If you own no other Line6 products, then the selection is somewhat modest. If you own Line6 hardware or software, it can "unlock" more amp and cab models depending on what level of device or software you own.

If you have some ultimate Line6 thing installed or connected (like Pod Farm Platinum or one of the more expensive interface/effects devices), you have a wide range of effects options available - HOWEVER, you do not have easy access to them in Reason. You can edit a patch in Pod Farm, save it, and open that patch in Reason (with some limitations - "dual tone" patches can't be opened) - but if you have effects in your patch, like distortion or echo, you are unable to change or tweak those from the Line6 rack devices in Reason. It can be kind of tedious tweaking a patch by having to swap between two programs.

However, it is possible to stack multiple Line 6 rack devices into a Combinator, or even bring in other non-Line 6 devices to process your guitar sound. Some get good results using Scream and Pulveriser for distortion, or The Echo for, well, echo. A recently-released Rack Extension, Rotor, emulates a rotary Leslie speaker. (It's not free with Reason, though.) You can indeed do some pretty wild things with guitar.

Old 2013-03-30, 20:19

I wouldn't get rid of it - when you don't need to be quiet you can mic it. When you do you can record from its line out jack (if it has one) but for me at least the line 6 tones don't fit what I tend to go for. That said, you can get some good stuff combining them with a pulveriser or using a combo of scream and pulveriser.
Old 2013-03-30, 21:01

Platzangst that's a very well considered response. I have heard the opinions of guitar guys for as long as simulation has been around, and to a point I might agree if we're comparing a nice warm tube-driven tone vs a virtual amp. I should clarify that the am I have is only a solid state combo with pretty average modelling options, to in many cases the same aficionados dismiss this type of hardware as inadequate.

I have no other Line6 plugins, nor do I have any Line6 pedalboards or whatever other hardware they make. What attracts me to the post-integrated Reason/ReCord marriage is that I won't want to muck around with rewiring other applications, but work in a single digital environment. I have been making purely 'digital music' for a few years, which in many instances is trying to emulate real playing - as you would imagine it often sound quite inorganic (the quantize feature is not always a blessing!) Ultimately I wish to augment my future 'digital music' with guitar & bass playing, along with mic'd recording of violin, flute & percussion. Presently, I don't do any 'recording' to speak of.

The Leslie tonebox plugin does have me salivating a little bit, and its probably the only RE I would buy when I join the Reason 7 family, hopefully next week.

The Echo has me similarly excited, having played around with a Roland RE-201 in the past. For amateur home recording, it will be nice not to deal with tape-hiss.

3rdFloorSound
- thanks for your comments, and you're probably right, I suppose it would be nice to record the room through a real amp as well, and even blend it in with the direct Reason recording. I'm going to take a guess, when guitar is recorded via Reason's Line6 device, it would effectively capture the clean sound, without any color ? If so, that opens up a lot of customising sound post-jamming, because I could probably pick up the line out signal, feed through an old favorite boss pedal, then recapture the sound in Reason on a new track (of course then never being a clean sound again)
Old 2013-03-30, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaShaman View Post
3rdFloorSound - thanks for your comments, and you're probably right, I suppose it would be nice to record the room through a real amp as well, and even blend it in with the direct Reason recording. I'm going to take a guess, when guitar is recorded via Reason's Line6 device, it would effectively capture the clean sound, without any color ? If so, that opens up a lot of customising sound post-jamming, because I could probably pick up the line out signal, feed through an old favorite boss pedal, then recapture the sound in Reason on a new track (of course then never being a clean sound again)
Think about this: speaker mic, ambient mic, and line out. All 3 channels recorded in separate tracks and therefor each can have it's own effects chain
Yeah you can record while listening to the end result, then bypass all effects and there's your clean tone.
More cool stuff: record the initial track through that pedal into a second track and blend the two. Going even deeper, you can create parallel channels in the mixer to accentuate aspects of the sound.
So many cool things you can do.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaShaman View Post
...If so, that opens up a lot of customising sound post-jamming, because I could probably pick up the line out signal, feed through an old favorite boss pedal, then recapture the sound in Reason on a new track (of course then never being a clean sound again)
You would need a re-amping box for that, but it is possible.

with my band:
Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-30, 22:35

I got rid of mine. Between Reason, Line6, Guitar Rig and a BOSS GT pedal, I got all my needs covered.

Now there's so much room for activities!
Old 2013-03-31, 00:49

Like sampled pianos, I don't think they'll be replacing the real thing any time soon. They both make things a lot easier and anything that provides options is fine by me.
As much as I like the Line 6, I'm waiting for a better amp modeler RE to pop up. I'd love if something like the Axe-FX or Kemper made into the store.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:32

Nothing can beat a real tube amp, but it's possible to get very good sound with digital emulations
It's just that when you play on a tube amp , you get pleasure that, IMHO you can't get with software.
It'd a matter of sensations while playing. The response of the tubes are very difficult to get with sofware even if the sound of it can be imitated.

Best
Michel
Old 2013-03-31, 03:39

I used to blow lots of money on pedals and amps. Like, point-to-point wired amps. A massive pedal board. You know, boys and their toys.

Now I only use software plugins and my Pod HD500 for my guitar-ing needs. Why? Well, my financial situation changed, and I now live in a very crowded city. How do the software plugs/pod hd compare to a real amp? I'd say they all are all comparable for recording. Feel/playing? I think the POD HD matches up with the feel of the tube-amp rig I had. Sound and experience? Well, there's a huge difference between listening to your guitars through two near-field monitors and listening through a pair of 15-inch Eminence speakers.

There's a certain magic to pushing air and playing loud, and real guitar amps do that. The only way I can do that with software/modelers is via an FRFR system, and it differs slightly.

So what I'm trying to say is, yes, I've scaled down my rig to just software and a hardware modeler. The reasons for doing so isn't just "It sounds/feels just like the real thing!", but many other factors as well. However, I do find myself setting up the AC30 patch in Reason, putting in The Echo and an RV7000, and just noodling for hours because it "feels" right to me.