Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-31, 21:42

Midi Editing

Only been using Reason 6.5 a few months, and there's 4 midi editing annoyances I have noticed already. Firstly, no splicing within the midi editor. Why? woulda thought this would've been sorted yonks ago. Also, not being able to shorten a note from the beginning of a note, or from the left hand side of it (say if it starts too early). Then you can't mute idividual notes or highlighted sections of notes with the mute tool, which would be handy for piano parts when you're tryna sort out the chord notes further up and then tryna sort out the bass note/s down the bottom, 'cause it helps in these instances when you can listen individually to each bass and non bass section. Finally, if you have a chord of 3 or 4 notes above and/or below each other and each note has varying lengths, but you want them all the same, say 0.0.2.0, if you highlight them, and type in the desired length in the note length box at the top, only the bottom note changes to the new desired length. Unless however, they are all the same length exactly, then they will all change. Irritating and surely very easily fixed things. Would have thought these would have been ironed out several versions back. Let me know what you think, and if you've noticed any other things that you wish you could do within the midi editing.

Last edited by creativemind75; 2013-03-31 at 21:45.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemind75 View Post
Finally, if you have a chord of 3 or 4 notes above and/or below each other and each note has varying lengths, but you want them all the same, say 0.0.2.0, if you highlight them, and type in the desired length in the note length box at the top, only the bottom note changes to the new desired length.
Input the desired length, then press the "=" sign next to that section.

As far as muting I just delete notes, then ctrl-z if I want them back.
Old 2013-03-31, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post

you can move the notes to a new lane (context menu) and mute that one, merging them back is also a one step process

Quote:
Finally, if you have a chord of 3 or 4 notes above and/or below each other and each note has varying lengths, but you want them all the same, say 0.0.2.0, if you highlight them, and type in the desired length in the note length box at the top, only the bottom note changes to the new desired length. Unless however, they are all the same length exactly, then they will all change
Tool Window / Note Lengths sets all of them to the given value

Last edited by xbitz; 2013-03-31 at 23:27.
Old 2013-03-31, 23:42

You don't even need the tool window, it's right there above the sequencer
Old 2013-04-01, 00:04

yepp, I've just seen in the manual (page 268)
Old 2013-04-03, 14:34

Just thought I'd chime in here and agree with creativemind75 about some of the midi editing.

I think the chord thing has been explained well (thanks 3rdFloorSound) but three points remain, I think:

1. splicing midi notes
2. editing length from either side
3. muting individual notes

As for this last one there are some useful workarounds (thanks xbitz) but I must admit I would still like to be able to keep the muted notes sitting there in the phrase rather than having to move them to a new lane. No biggie, just a workflow preference.

One thing to note: when I first started using Reason late last year (after many years using Logic) I thought these very same things were going to drive me a bit crazy as I was missing them. Now, though, I've got into the flow of Reason and they don't really bother me any more.

Still, though, it would be nice....
Old 2013-04-03, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post

Or reduce the velocity to zero. No problems with inserting MIDI. It is knowing which notes to put where that gives me a headache. It is less trouble to input from a keyboard. Some folk want a step insertion. Avoid such naughty goings on is my advice.
Old 2013-04-03, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyggy View Post
Or reduce the velocity to zero. No problems with inserting MIDI. It is knowing which notes to put where that gives me a headache. It is less trouble to input from a keyboard. Some folk want a step insertion. Avoid such naughty goings on is my advice.
Thanks for that Wyggy, reducing the velocity to zero isn't such a bad idea - think I'll try that. Still holding out hope for a mute tool for individual notes but this will definitely do in the meantime.