Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-02, 02:19

Odd question - what frequency is this sound?

I've recently developed extreme sensitivity to specific frequencies of sound. The most blatant example in my day-to-day life is the sound of dishes clinking together. Like for example putting them away in a cupboard, the sound of them hitting each other just rips through my skull.

I'd like to figure out approximately what frequency range this sound is, and see if I can get any hearing protection that filters just that band of frequencies. Short of recording the sound and analyzing it (which I can do but will be some hassle), I thought maybe someone here might just know off the top of their heads roughly what that frequency range is.

Anyone? Thanks!

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-04-02, 03:53

not really sure but that does not sound good.... I would get it checked out... could be the start of hearing problems or perhaps an infection of some kind.... I would guess it's somewhere between 8000 and 12000.
I get the same thing from hitting a wood block thingy.
Old 2013-04-02, 03:57

All over the spectrum actually But yeah, very prominently in the fletcher-munson areas :/ Anything you can stick in your ear should put these down but if you want to know what frequencies to protect yourself from just do the "torture test" and sweep a loud sine and see where it hurts...

Anyway, that sound also hurts my ears.. Its the sudden burst nature that doesn't allow the ear to protect itself.
Old 2013-04-02, 04:38

Interesting, thanks for the info. This is a recent and sudden change though... this type of sound has never bothered me before, but sometime in the last 6 weeks or so, it kicked in and is simply torturous now. I'll try the sinewave test and see if I can isolate a frequency that's the real killer.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-04-03, 14:57

Depends on the nature of the sine sweep, will the sweep take into account the fact that your ears are naturally more sensitive to the mid-frequencies (1-4kHz)?......Noise Induced Hearing Loss tends to affect that same region, your sensitivity could be a symptom of that or other things....if you're really concerned I'd recommend an audiometry test
Old 2013-04-04, 00:59

Lightbulb

and... I'm not quite sure the sine test will take into account the percussive nature of the sound...
like I said... wood block does it for me... a sharp brief pop that kills my ears... and I have some ear issues
Old 2013-04-04, 18:55

Here's a frequency plot of the "average" (over 30 seconds) of 4 different plates clicking together (from my kitchen) recorded with a test microphone. I'd agree that the transients are a big contributor to the pain factor, and as such sweeping a sine may not trigger the specific reaction that the plates trigger.

Most of the big stuff shows up between 1-5 kHz, and it varies with each plate (this is an average of a 30 second long recording). This is the classic "hurt" frequency range for many folks, btw, with 2.5 kHz being at the heart of the range. :-)
USA
Old 2013-04-04, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Here's a frequency plot of the "average" (over 30 seconds) of 4 different plates clicking together (from my kitchen) recorded with a test microphone. I'd agree that the transients are a big contributor to the pain factor, and as such sweeping a sine may not trigger the specific reaction that the plates trigger.
Most of the big stuff shows up between 1-5 kHz, and it varies with each plate (this is an average of a 30 second long recording). This is the classic "hurt" frequency range for many folks, btw, with 2.5 kHz being at the heart of the range. :-)
Damn, that even looks painful with those 1, 2, 2.75, and 3.5K spikes
Old 2013-04-05, 10:40

I just smashed the frikin plate... recording you've been first with a spectrum anyway

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrVangassen