Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-03, 17:06

Reason 7 Midi Out question

I see a lot of people talking on the forums about triggering the VSTs from Live (or other DAWs) using Reason when 7 gets out.

I still don't understand this, or maybe they misunderstood the R7 announcement.

Ok, so R7 brings Midi Out, which means that I can hook up a Waldorf Blofeld for example, and I can bring back the output of that to one of my audio interface's channel into Reason, so far so good.

But the question is: how will you trigger Ableton's hosted VSTs? I can think of 2 ways:

1. using 2 interfaces, one which will output the MIDI from Reason, while the other receives it and monitors in Ableton
2. using a virtual midi port -- however I don't know any 64-bit compatible ones; also, a lot of people agree that they have horrible latency problems

So... what's another method? Or did people misunderstand that Midi Out is not the same as Reason as ReWire Master?

Thanks!
Old 2013-04-03, 17:22

Yeah, #1 on your list is obvious and has its own latency issues. I'm thinking (hoping) that using JACK or some other software that I can achieve #2 on your list. If I was on a MAC then I believe Soundflower would get me where I want to be.

Currently I use RTPMidi and LoopBe to trigger soft synths on/from my iPad and on my PC. The latency from that is not horrible and can be corrected for. I'm running both XP and 64 bit Win 7.

Without a doubt Reason as a Rewire master would be ideal. Unfortunately my other DAW (Studio One) doesn't support being a Rewire slave or even a MIDI sync slave.

Reason 7 - Studio One Pro V2.5
Optiplex780 8G Win7 & Dell Latitude E6410 4G Win7 64 bit
Presonus AudioBox1818 - Focusrite VRM - Fender SuperChamp X2
MAudio Oxygen61 - Akai MPD26 - iPad2
Old 2013-04-03, 17:26

Oh, I forgot to mention, I run Windows 7 64-Bit.

I'm just asking because I would like to trigger Ableton from Reason 7 when it's out. If there's a way that wouldn't cost anything at all (as most of the decent MIDI virtual ports are paid / another midi interface costs money) I would upgrade as soon as it gets out. Else, I don't think that it's worth the money .. I won't use the Spectrum Analyzer or Buses that much.

If anyone has an idea about other options to trigger Ableton using MIDI from Reason, please let us know
Old 2013-04-03, 17:45

You can safely bet that someone is developing a VST wrapper for Reason to make this task easier - my money's on Peff
Old 2013-04-03, 17:56

VST wrapper would be something like V-Stack / V-Rack or whatever the name was? If I'm not mistaken, it was a product from Steinberg a while back that would host a VST on different track, and you could trigger it using MIDI in.

Well, I would love something like that. I mean, I won't use the full Ableton, I just want to host my VSTs and trigger them. I would even pay for something like that if it goes between 25-50 euros
Old 2013-04-03, 17:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
You can safely bet that someone is developing a VST wrapper for Reason to make this task easier - my money's on Peff
He might already started some RE, although I dunno how it could work outside Reason!

But all we need it's just simple thingy which will allows you to send midi & audio from VST's into Reason at once, without workarounds which are: Virtual Audio Cable, Virtual MIDI Cable & ASIO For All, to much hustle with a lot of latency & so on!