Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hardware product allowing you to use Reason(s) sounds?
Yes, I would buy a product like this for any reasonable price 6 54.55%
No, Its not necessary, I think my computer is stable enough 5 45.45%
Yes, but only if it were under a certain price, which I will add a comment for 0 0%
No, but for a different reason which I will reply with 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-04-09, 23:49

Need your input- poll

Hey everyone, I have an idea for a product that I would like to get your input on.

This product would take virtual instrument(s)/refills/customized sounds and allow you to transfer them to a hardware device in order to use them. It would essentially be a programmable virtual instrument module.

You would be able to take your sounds from reason and use them on stage without the fear of computer malfunction. You would also be able to customize your own sounds and you wouldnt have to open reason every time you wanted to play.

Is this something you would be interested in?

Last edited by acronk; 2013-04-09 at 23:54.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:02

Putting money aside it's a very cool idea - I don't perform live or have the money for anything like this at the moment, but it really is a great thought
Old 2013-04-10, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Putting money aside it's a very cool idea - I don't perform live or have the money for anything like this at the moment, but it really is a great thought
Thanks for your comment Its something I'm considering. Do you think anything could make it better?
Old 2013-04-10, 00:18

The computer works pretty well other than when it comes to interface, which is why you need good MIDI controllers. Propellerhead would be better off doing their own MIDI controller rather than the bit that does the processing.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by acronk View Post
Thanks for your comment Its something I'm considering. Do you think anything could make it better?
Hm, well the first thing that comes to mind is how much of the built-in sound shaping control would be transferable to the hardware, for instance if a combinator's knob is routed to a thor's lfo rate, how easy would it be to match a physical control to that on a transferred patch? Or, would it act more like a snapshot of the sound rather than a malleable preset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
The computer works pretty well other than when it comes to interface, which is why you need good MIDI controllers. Propellerhead would be better off doing their own MIDI controller rather than the bit that does the processing.
They do work pretty well, but people are still pretty gun-shy about using computers on stage if for no other reason than durability.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:32

Quote:
They do work pretty well, but people are still pretty gun-shy about using computers on stage if for no other reason than durability.
I'd still trust OSX over iOS though and that means I'd rather risk my Mac on stage rather than go with a cheaper iPod Touch (assuming it was already possible). Figure and Rebirth crash more often than Reason even though iOS seems pretty stable.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:41

Quote:
Hm, well the first thing that comes to mind is how much of the built-in sound shaping control would be transferable to the hardware, for instance if a combinator's knob is routed to a thor's lfo rate, how easy would it be to match a physical control to that on a transferred patch? Or, would it act more like a snapshot of the sound rather than a malleable preset?

That would be a really good question. I would imagine a mapping feature similar to what the axiom pro does would be really useful.
Old 2013-04-10, 03:45

So, would it be something like this, just dedicated to Reason?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MuseBox/

Old 2013-04-10, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by acronk View Post
You would be able to take your sounds from reason and use them on stage without the fear of computer malfunction.
Welcome to Mac OSX. And you get a bigger screen than on hardware.

iOS could easily do this as well. If you could run Reason on an iPhone and control it from a Nektar P4 you'd have the setup you are imagining. It's not far off in reality as Figure is based around Thor and Kong.

Overall though Reason is too complex to run on hardware. The truth is that the systems we have today need good visual feedback and detailed mouse control. You can't put it in a hardware box without dumbing it down somehow.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
Welcome to Mac OSX. And you get a bigger screen than on hardware.

iOS could easily do this as well. If you could run Reason on an iPhone and control it from a Nektar P4 you'd have the setup you are imagining. It's not far off in reality as Figure is based around Thor and Kong.

Overall though Reason is too complex to run on hardware. The truth is that the systems we have today need good visual feedback and detailed mouse control. You can't put it in a hardware box without dumbing it down somehow.
That would be amazing to see!