Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hardware product allowing you to use Reason(s) sounds?
Yes, I would buy a product like this for any reasonable price 6 54.55%
No, Its not necessary, I think my computer is stable enough 5 45.45%
Yes, but only if it were under a certain price, which I will add a comment for 0 0%
No, but for a different reason which I will reply with 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2013-04-09, 23:49
acronk acronk is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Need your input- poll

Hey everyone, I have an idea for a product that I would like to get your input on.

This product would take virtual instrument(s)/refills/customized sounds and allow you to transfer them to a hardware device in order to use them. It would essentially be a programmable virtual instrument module.

You would be able to take your sounds from reason and use them on stage without the fear of computer malfunction. You would also be able to customize your own sounds and you wouldnt have to open reason every time you wanted to play.

Is this something you would be interested in?

Last edited by acronk; 2013-04-09 at 23:54.
  #2  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:02
3rdFloorSound's Avatar
3rdFloorSound 3rdFloorSound is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,762
Putting money aside it's a very cool idea - I don't perform live or have the money for anything like this at the moment, but it really is a great thought
__________________
  #3  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:04
acronk acronk is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Putting money aside it's a very cool idea - I don't perform live or have the money for anything like this at the moment, but it really is a great thought
Thanks for your comment Its something I'm considering. Do you think anything could make it better?
  #4  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:18
dioxide's Avatar
dioxide dioxide is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,288
The computer works pretty well other than when it comes to interface, which is why you need good MIDI controllers. Propellerhead would be better off doing their own MIDI controller rather than the bit that does the processing.
  #5  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:27
3rdFloorSound's Avatar
3rdFloorSound 3rdFloorSound is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by acronk View Post
Thanks for your comment Its something I'm considering. Do you think anything could make it better?
Hm, well the first thing that comes to mind is how much of the built-in sound shaping control would be transferable to the hardware, for instance if a combinator's knob is routed to a thor's lfo rate, how easy would it be to match a physical control to that on a transferred patch? Or, would it act more like a snapshot of the sound rather than a malleable preset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
The computer works pretty well other than when it comes to interface, which is why you need good MIDI controllers. Propellerhead would be better off doing their own MIDI controller rather than the bit that does the processing.
They do work pretty well, but people are still pretty gun-shy about using computers on stage if for no other reason than durability.
__________________
  #6  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:32
dioxide's Avatar
dioxide dioxide is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
They do work pretty well, but people are still pretty gun-shy about using computers on stage if for no other reason than durability.
I'd still trust OSX over iOS though and that means I'd rather risk my Mac on stage rather than go with a cheaper iPod Touch (assuming it was already possible). Figure and Rebirth crash more often than Reason even though iOS seems pretty stable.
  #7  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:41
acronk acronk is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Hm, well the first thing that comes to mind is how much of the built-in sound shaping control would be transferable to the hardware, for instance if a combinator's knob is routed to a thor's lfo rate, how easy would it be to match a physical control to that on a transferred patch? Or, would it act more like a snapshot of the sound rather than a malleable preset?

They do work pretty well, but people are still pretty gun-shy about using computers on stage if for no other reason than durability.

That would be a really good question. I would imagine a mapping feature similar to what the axiom pro does would be really useful.
  #8  
Old 2013-04-10, 03:45
joeyluck's Avatar
joeyluck joeyluck is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,517
So, would it be something like this, just dedicated to Reason?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MuseBox/

  #9  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:22
dioxide's Avatar
dioxide dioxide is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by acronk View Post
You would be able to take your sounds from reason and use them on stage without the fear of computer malfunction.
Welcome to Mac OSX. And you get a bigger screen than on hardware.

iOS could easily do this as well. If you could run Reason on an iPhone and control it from a Nektar P4 you'd have the setup you are imagining. It's not far off in reality as Figure is based around Thor and Kong.

Overall though Reason is too complex to run on hardware. The truth is that the systems we have today need good visual feedback and detailed mouse control. You can't put it in a hardware box without dumbing it down somehow.
  #10  
Old 2013-04-10, 00:27
acronk acronk is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
Welcome to Mac OSX. And you get a bigger screen than on hardware.

iOS could easily do this as well. If you could run Reason on an iPhone and control it from a Nektar P4 you'd have the setup you are imagining. It's not far off in reality as Figure is based around Thor and Kong.

Overall though Reason is too complex to run on hardware. The truth is that the systems we have today need good visual feedback and detailed mouse control. You can't put it in a hardware box without dumbing it down somehow.
That would be amazing to see!
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio Input is Haunted CranApple General Forum (read only) 7 2012-02-28 13:46
Record 1.5 ignoring external mic input? jondy General Forum (read only) 2 2011-10-09 19:17
Instrument input (direct guitar input) strategery Music Forum (read only) 3 2008-06-25 20:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:42.