Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-10, 12:17

I Know I Am Ahead of My Time

The solo music of Billy McBride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWiKyT2S4E

Old 2013-04-11, 05:15

Not quite there yet, listen closes you will find yourself
Old 2013-04-11, 05:32

I like the beat you got going Billy. But thinking of having to lay rhymes in there hahah. That's alot of rhymes

Try to make it compact. Have clear sections for verses and hooks, transitions. You got great idears!!! And the vibe is there. You have put down a really cool oldskool beat there
Old 2013-04-11, 05:49

I agree that there are some very good ideas in there. Might I suggest taking the 57 minutes of material and editing it down to the most striking parts, say 7 minutes worth, so each bar hits the listener, and then add some of your excellent orchestration to enhance the melodies and chords. It could also do with a little expansion/variation of the beat, even using some orchestral percussion to beef it up. And don't forget to use dynamics, with softer bars and louder bars, buildups, crescendos, shock, release, etc. There really is some good stuff in there.
Reason 7; 27" iMac; Akai MPK88; Konnekt6; Amplitube; Miroslav Gold; Fender Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Blues Jr III, SCXD; Spector Bass; Agile Les Paul; Ergo Bass; Zero-G Total Rex; Trident A-Range; RE-2A; Vermilion; Creme; Revival; Futurator; Glitch; Logic Studio 9; Reaktor 5.8.
Old 2013-04-11, 08:10

Thanks all for listening! Dave909 and John, in this track unlike many of my others, I chose to use just a simple minimal hip-hop beat and my solo (layered) synth. I did this in order to kind of create a wrestling match between myself and the beat to see what I could do, how I could shape the music around the flow of the rhythm. I kept the rhythm constant and learned much while playing, or wrestling my own solo instrument around it while creating many melodies in the process. I do not regret neither the lengthy time it took, nor the outcome of it without extra accompaniments. The more I play, day by day, the more I feel like I am in the process of creating new melodies to my ears. This process is funny sometimes since I must take risks for my audience which sometimes they dislike. I learn so much though about the inside of the music. The music for me, like this song as it is, documents how I learn as I play. I feel that I am not in any end-time of music, and so there will be much time, as there has been already that I have taken in other songs, see where it leads me and to create new pieces. I love music and playing music so much, and it is a blessing when I can find new melodies all of the time. The title of my track is weird, however I know that it is true.

Old 2013-04-11, 15:41

Ahh so it's more like a documentary of you finding melodies to fit the beat. I get that. It's indeed a great way to learn by just doing it alot and you will find the things that work. It's much the same with rapping, it's just using your voice and words as the instrument. It's great you are having fun doing it man! Keep on with it