Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-27, 09:37

Essentials and Reason 5 compatibility

Hi all
I'm new!
Please could someone help me answer the following:
I'm a singer/songwriter and I've been using Reason 5 to write some backing tracks for a Demo i'm doing. Now i'm at the stage where i want to lay down the audio tracks (Vocals, Guitar etc). I really like the look of Essentials as it has all the basic functionality i need. I've gone and bought an audio interface so i'm good to go - just need to buy Essentials. However, i'm aware there are compatibility issues in opening other versions of Reason in Essentials. I need to know if this incompatibility is down to the fact that Essentials isn't compatible with certain 'devices' in other Reason versions - or is it down to actual 'software' compatibility? For example, i'd assumed that, if the limitation is down to 'device' compatibility, i could simply replace some of the devices in my Reason 5 files (the reverb devices for example) and open up in essentials with no problem. Obviously i can't test this as the Demo version of Essentials can't 'open' any files.
I have swapped out devices in my Combinator patches in Reason 5 to have all Essentials compatible devices and i can load this Combinator into Essentials no problem. However, if the compatibility issue IS down to 'software', then i still wouldn't be able to open Reason 5 files anyway - meaning i'd have to 'Re-Write' all my stuff (8 tracks!)
Of course i could get a different DAW and rewire - but i've heard this is really processor intensive.
Any advice is really appreciated! - Thanks
Old 2013-04-27, 11:54

It's a bit of both situations.

Essentials can't open .rsn files at all.

You can open device patches for the devices that are present, such as am NN-XT patch, or a Combinator patch.

However, with Combinator patches, if the patch contains a device not found in Essentials, it won't open.

Using Essentials, the best way to combine the 2 projects would e to export your Reason 5 tracks as audio and bring them into Essentials and mix everything there.

You could also look at buying a second-hand license of Reason 6/6.5 instead of Essentials. They can be found for around $200 +/- or so.

If you want to try it with another DAW, you can check out Reaper and see if it meets your needs.
Old 2013-04-27, 12:13

See here for file compatibility
https://www.propellerheads.se/produc...mparison-chart
Old 2013-04-27, 14:56

Slightly off topic but you know you can use Reason 6's FSB in Reason 5 gaining the extra instrument patches, samples and the cool FX combis, but obviously not the new instruments or FX devices
Old 2013-04-27, 16:57

If your copy of R5 is legit, register it, and you will be able to upgrade to R7 for not too much more than the cost of Essentials.

R7 will be able to open your R5 files.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-04-28, 18:19

Thanks

Hi all
Thanks for the replies - A few ideas there so i should be able to sort something out

Thanks again