Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-05-17, 13:30

Thumbs down Rack Extensions License method!

Hi,

Little bit annoyed!

I've just upgraded to Reason 7 (boxed version) from Record/Reason 5. Really liking the new mixing and work flow features in Reason 7, can't complain there!

The thing which is really annoying is, I don't have an internet connection on my main audio PC (I won't be the only one I'm sure). And I'd like to keep it like that.
This mean's there's no way I can use one of the cool features in Reason, which are the Rack Extensions! Can't even test there new "Free" Audiomatic Retro Transformer.

I don't understand why they don't just use the same methods on the RE as they did on the upgrade process!
i.e,
buy the RE you want, download the RE file from your account, transfer the license to your I.key, run the registered RE on any computer with your key using the codemeter and Authorizer software!

Sorry, for the rant, but it's annoying me. I've paid for a "full" upgrade but, I can only use part's of it.
It's a shame, I've been using Reason for around 9 years! Nothing's really annoyed me with Propellerhead until now.

Hopefully Propellerhead's will come up with something to change this.
Old 2013-05-17, 13:55

Hook it to the Internet, authorize PC and ignition key. Done deal!
It doesn't have to remain connected to the Internet, it just needs to get on one time.
That is...until you want more RE.
Old 2013-05-17, 14:58

I'm not really sure but i think it would be possible to install authorizer alone on an online computer and download/license RE's on ingnition key there. Then you'll have to copy the RE's on an external storage device and move them to the offline computer. Works only with an ignition key.

Last edited by Kovkov; 2013-05-17 at 15:07.
Old 2013-05-17, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovkov View Post
I'm not really sure but i think it would be possible to install authorizer alone on an online computer and download/license RE's on ingnition key there. Then you'll have to copy the RE's on an external storage device and move them to the offline computer. Works only with an ignition key.
Hi.
Thanks for the input!
No. Apparently when you buy a RE download. It integrates with Reason on that one computer only.
You can not then transfer the actual RE zip file to another computer, even tho you've payed for it, have an account, and have a Ignition key.
That's what's really annoying me!
Old 2013-05-17, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
Hook it to the Internet, authorize PC and ignition key. Done deal!
It doesn't have to remain connected to the Internet, it just needs to get on one time.
That is...until you want more RE.
Hi,
Cheers for the input. But I like to keep my studio PC Internet free. Plus,
I got it built a few months ago without any network Interfaces, Anti virus software installed.
It's really annoying me as there's a fair few RE's I would of liked to of brought! I can't even test the Audiomatic Retro Transformer out.
Old 2013-05-17, 18:30

I suppose I can understand some peoples unwillingness to have a studio PC with internet connection, but there are ways around it.

I don't run anti-virus software on my main workstation, so what I did was set up an internet connection, which I disable when I don't need it, and the browser's homepage is set to the Propellerhead site, so I don't have to navigate anywhere else.

When I need to authorise Reason or download and authorise a Rack Extension, I enable the internet connection, open my browser, go to the relevant page and download/authorise as required, close the browser and disable the connection.

I have had no problems doing it this way, no virus' and no additional processes running. I just make sue that I never use the internet for anything else, and that I do the actual purchasing on my laptop.

It's your decision, but I just thought I would throw it out there...
Old 2013-05-18, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
I suppose I can understand some peoples unwillingness to have a studio PC with internet connection, but there are ways around it.

I don't run anti-virus software on my main workstation, so what I did was set up an internet connection, which I disable when I don't need it, and the browser's homepage is set to the Propellerhead site, so I don't have to navigate anywhere else.

When I need to authorise Reason or download and authorise a Rack Extension, I enable the internet connection, open my browser, go to the relevant page and download/authorise as required, close the browser and disable the connection.

I have had no problems doing it this way, no virus' and no additional processes running. I just make sue that I never use the internet for anything else, and that I do the actual purchasing on my laptop.

Hi.
Cheers for the input. A good idea but, I'm not willing to have any Internet connection on my main audio PC.
The laptop I'm using now, the first day I brought it, went online, my browser got corrupted some how. Messed the laptop up big time. As, I'm no computer expert at this side of thing's. I had to go to my local PC repair shop to have a full windows installation done!
The same happened with my first studio PC which was online around 9 years ago. That messed up big time.
Since then, I've never had the Internet on my "main" work computer.
I know it's only going to be connected for a short time but, my new computer's running so smooth, not going to risk messing it up!
So,
Look's like I won't be able to use the rack extension feature.
Old 2013-09-07, 00:10

Thumbs down

Yes, the kind of RE-license, to bind it to one computer AND Account AND key (same time) and the handling at all is´nt userfriendly for shure ...

I and we´ve as so much problems (can tell it only again and again), that we think about to sort Reason in studio, live and for schooling out.
And I´m really sorry about that, because I like Reason very much ... but not, that binding: Account/Computer/Key

Understand that there is a copyprotection, but a kind of protection, that users let sometimes lost flexibility, thats really to much.

Hello props, you told me and us, that you´ll change something because the problem if users have more then one key and Computer !!!!
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2013-09-06, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post

I'm going to do this. Set my homepage to Prop site. Only use for that site only!

How can I get Firefox on to my offline PC tho? I'm not a fan of windows explorer which is probably the browser on my project PC.

I have Firefox on my laptop, do I just transfer the file's to one of my USB stick's, install off there?

Cheers.
Old 2013-09-06, 16:39

USB stick + firefox portable