Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2013-05-17, 17:28
altron's Avatar
altron altron is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 158
Using a VST/AU plugin on Mac using Reason's External MIDI Instrument?

Well, the subject says it all pretty much! How is it done? I know there are a couple of threads about this already but I haven't got this working yet.

Let's say I'd like to use a standard Mac VST instrument, for example u-he Diva, with Reason... are there any good VST/AU wrappers? I've tried Audio Plugin Player. With it I can control the VST via MIDI over Reason (I think) but I get no Audio back from it into Reason. I'm using Balance as my Audio interface.

How is this done?
  #2  
Old 2013-05-17, 17:42
joeyluck's Avatar
joeyluck joeyluck is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,538
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!
  #3  
Old 2013-05-17, 18:20
altron's Avatar
altron altron is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyluck View Post
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot for the guide! Soundflower was the missing link. Now got it working!
  #4  
Old 2013-05-17, 18:33
FailedMuso's Avatar
FailedMuso FailedMuso is offline
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyluck View Post
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!
A very useful document

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

  #5  
Old 2013-05-17, 19:40
reason2dance's Avatar
reason2dance reason2dance is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedMuso View Post
A very useful document

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

And for VST: VSTLord...
  #6  
Old 2013-05-17, 19:42
reason2dance's Avatar
reason2dance reason2dance is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,538
Another possibility for AU: RAX...
  #7  
Old 2013-05-18, 04:51
KenPH KenPH is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedMuso View Post
A very useful document

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

Thank you for the link to the AU Lab program.

People should know that the program is free but is a nuisance to download unless you already have XCode. Thus it is nice that you have posted a link directly to the program.
  #8  
Old 2013-05-18, 14:38
FailedMuso's Avatar
FailedMuso FailedMuso is offline
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenPH View Post
Thank you for the link to the AU Lab program.

People should know that the program is free but is a nuisance to download unless you already have XCode. Thus it is nice that you have posted a link directly to the program.
You're more than welcome
  #9  
Old 2013-05-18, 15:16
reason2dance's Avatar
reason2dance reason2dance is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenPH View Post
People should know that the program is free but is a nuisance to download unless you already have XCode.
That's not quite correct. You always can find it here separately:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/
  #10  
Old 2013-05-18, 16:42
KenPH KenPH is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason2dance View Post
That's not quite correct. You always can find it here separately:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/
Sorry, you are right!
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External MIDI INSTRUMENT WITH MPC RENNAISANCE HELP thanatas Phead User Forum (read only) 0 2013-05-06 00:12
Give me a Reason to buy Reason: Hardware Integration miekwave General Forum (read only) 4 2013-03-29 16:30
Controlling hardware with MIDI output from Record or Reason demo bighorse Phead User Forum (read only) 3 2010-07-02 04:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:08.