Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-27, 07:42

Mixing h/w synths inside the box?

Hi,

what are the solutions (i.e. h/w audio interfaces) that allow you to connected a number of h/w instruments to your computer and mix them inside Reason? I suppose it requires an audio interface with enough line-ins but also enough virtual outs inside the box via USB/Firewire. But so far I only found audio interfaces that have 1 or two stereo virtual outputs which would mean that you regularly have to record the inputs of instruments to audio tracks.

If you have five or six (or more) h/w instruments/synths that you want to use with Reason but you don't want to everytime instantly have to render their audio to tracks, what audio interfaces do you use/recommend to deal with the task?
Old 2013-05-27, 08:20

The Focusrite audio interface ranges all use Mixcontrol software which does a very good job of doing what you're asking (internal routing). I found the learning curve a bit steep but I emailed Focusrite and they wrote back about a week later with a really concise explanation of what I needed to do. Maybe email them asking exactly what you want before buying?
Good luck
Old 2013-05-27, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETalk View Post
The Focusrite audio interface ranges all use Mixcontrol software which does a very good job of doing what you're asking (internal routing). I found the learning curve a bit steep but I emailed Focusrite and they wrote back about a week later with a really concise explanation of what I needed to do. Maybe email them asking exactly what you want before buying?
Good luck
Thanks ETalk! The Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 looks tempting! But one question: how does this solution with Mixcontrol work? You need to have that software running all the time when using Reason?
Old 2013-05-27, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by altron View Post
Thanks ETalk! The Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 looks tempting! But one question: how does this solution with Mixcontrol work? You need to have that software running all the time when using Reason?
Hi I only just saw this so I'm replying now. Mixcontrol runs in the background whatever DAW you use with your Focusrite device. The difference is, that once open you can internally route anything audio within your computer.

Eg. Want to record direct from YouTube into Reason or DAW of your choice? That's where Mixcontrol loopback function comes in, it's perfect for sampling!!

So in answer to your question; you do need Mixcontrol if you want to do some cool internal routing but you don't need it running to use your interface. It is automatically installed as it contains the Focusrite asio drivers. It controls the sample rate, latency and all that stuff.

Hope this helps!!
Old 2013-05-27, 15:42

I just bought the 18i20... None of the Scarlett (USB) interfaces has the loopback function afaik. For that you need the Saphire range (firewire). The Scarlett-range are amazing interfaces anyhow.
Old 2013-05-27, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazi View Post
I just bought the 18i20... None of the Scarlett (USB) interfaces has the loopback function afaik. For that you need the Saphire range (firewire). The Scarlett-range are amazing interfaces anyhow.
Ah ok well my bad on that part. I did actually say in my first reply to the OP to contact Focusrite about what he/she needed.
I use the Saffire pro 24 DSP fwiw
Old 2013-06-14, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazi View Post
errrr the Scarlett 8i6 does. It's stated on Focusrite's website that it offers the Loopback function.

From Focusrites website:

The Scarlett 8i6 is an 8 in / 6 out audio interface with outstanding sonic performance and flexibility at a truly affordable price. Part of Focusrite’s new range of USB audio interfaces, the Scarlett 8i6 is designed to make home studio recording and mixing easy without sacrificing audio quality.

Twenty-five years of mic pre excellence form the foundation of this new interface, with two award-winning Focusrite preamps. Combined with a host of additional I/O options, the Scarlett 8i6 helps you get the tracks you want without having to constantly re-patch your studio.

Alongside the two high-quality mic preamps, two additional analogue inputs, four analogue outputs, S/PDIF and MIDI open the door to true multi-track recording. Two Hi-Z instrument inputs let you plug straight in without the need to buy additional DI boxes, and two virtual Loopback inputs are also available for routing digital audio between software applications - ideal for capturing online audi

Last edited by tyerac; 2013-06-14 at 19:30.
Old 2013-05-28, 03:52

Thanks for the info ETalk and sazi! It's a pity though that the 18i20 doesn't support the loopback function. That one would have been very useful (unlike, for instance, all the pre-amp mic ins, for me). I'd buy one of the firewire devices instead but I'm using a Macbook Air which has only one Thunderbolt connector and that one is occupied by a (non-Apple) monitor so I have no other means to connect a firewire device.
Old 2013-05-28, 06:25

Another thing I noticed is that the 18i20 has (only) 8 inputs. If connecting in stereo that would reduce it to four instruments I could connect in stereo, right? I mean why would anyone connect a synth that has stereo outs in mono only?

Interestingly most audio interfaces I've found don't have much more inputs, maybe two more so a total of 10 ins but that's still very few in my opinion if connecting with stereo. Or am I missing something here? This is still new terrain for me. I imagine outboard mixing where you have a h/w mix console with 20 stereo ins so why shouldn't there be similar capabilities for in-the-box mixing?!
Old 2013-05-27, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockker View Post
Universal Serial Bus (USB) connects more than computers and peripherals. It has the power to connect you with a whole new world of PC experiences.

USB is your instant connection to the fun of digital photography or the limitless creative possibilities of digital imaging. You can use USB to connect with other people through the power of PC-telephony and video conferencing. Once you've tried USB, we think you'll grow quite attached to

uk public records online
Spambotz invaders?!