Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-06-09, 12:38

i3, i5 or budget amd?

I want to buy a new pc, but i'm not sure wich processor.

I'm currently on a macbook with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7450 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

And actually it handles everything. So maybe i'm just fine with a 4th gen i3? Just working with reason essentials (maybe 7 in future) , and just simple music productions.

See comparison with i3 4th gen:
[URL="http://ark.intel.com/compare/75989,36734"]

Another idea:

Code:
#
1	AMD A10-6800K Boxed	€ 134,90	€ 134,90
1	ASRock FM2A75 PRO4-M	€ 57,90	€ 57,90
1	Cooler Master Elite 344 USB 3.0 Zilver	€ 33,30	€ 33,30
1	Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo	€ 18,20	€ 18,20
1	Kingston HyperX Beast KHX21C11T3K2/8X	€ 63,74	€ 63,74
1	LG GH24NS95 Zwart	€ 19,95	€ 19,95
1	be quiet! System Power 7 300W	€ 30,99	€ 30,99
1	Samsung 840 series 120GB	€ 83,-	€ 83,-
(i have a 7200rpm 500GB disk)

isn't it to much processor power? I'm not a gamer (i would like to play a few maybe)
Not an professional or what ever. If i can get a pc for 350, that would be better for my money.

What are your thoughts?
Old 2013-06-09, 15:21

Go for i7 quad core, if you can.
Old 2013-06-09, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
See, this is also something that annoys the hell out of me. Hello McFly! Anybody home? That's not what he's asking, is it? He probably doesn't have the budget for an i7, otherwise he would be askin about the i7 too, wouldn't he? Talk about totally useless answers.

Anyway, now for the on topic, before Enochlight gets in here to advocate his holy hyper threading

For lightweight production, the i3 should be fine. However, with the future in mind, I would pick an i5. I have an i5 myself and it's been great, I can throw anything at it and I always have enough headroom left. Also, you might want to pick out a good motherboard (if you are getting a custom built PC) so that you could upgrade the CPU at some point in the future. I would recommend an ASUS motherboard instead of Asrock, it's a bit more expensive (maybe 30 or so) but absolutely worth it in terms of design and stability.

Stay AWAY from AMD.

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2013-06-09, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
See, this is also something that annoys the hell out of me. Hello McFly! Anybody home? That's not what he's asking, is it? He probably doesn't have the budget for an i7, otherwise he would be askin about the i7 too, wouldn't he? Talk about totally useless answers.

Anyway, now for the on topic, before Enochlight gets in here to advocate his holy hyper threading

For lightweight production, the i3 should be fine. However, with the future in mind, I would pick an i5. I have an i5 myself and it's been great, I can throw anything at it and I always have enough headroom left. Also, you might want to pick out a good motherboard (if you are getting a custom built PC) so that you could upgrade the CPU at some point in the future. I would recommend an ASUS motherboard instead of Asrock, it's a bit more expensive (maybe 30 or so) but absolutely worth it in terms of design and stability.

Stay AWAY from AMD.
Yes i will take Intel, is there an Asus motherboard you can recommend me?
Old 2013-06-09, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazlive View Post
Yes i will take Intel, is there an Asus motherboard you can recommend me?
I would probably go for something like a Asus P8H77-M.

Old 2013-06-09, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
I would probably go for something like a Asus P8H77-M.
That is actually a nice MB. The P8Z77 series are also nice boards. These take 2nd/3rd gen "i" series processors

Just to note - the OP mentioned 4th gen "i" series - If they goes for one of those, they would need to get a socket 1150 board instead of a socket 1155
Old 2013-06-09, 15:38

Quote:

+1 for i7 , there is some i5 that are quad so maybe those but i7 will just work better unless you can buy a knew PC in one or two years it will be a money loss to get lower then a quad core !

you can have ASUS i7 3770 for not much more then i5 and with decent RAM and a solid motherboard and graphic card for like 750 dollars (ASUS CM6870)

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2013-06-09, 15:50

Someone forgot their meds today. If OP has a macbook, he's probably not short for money. And even if he is, it pays to shop around. He even said his current macbook "handles everything", so there should be time to save more money, if need be. He shouldn't be sorry for holding out for an i7.

Now carry on with your temper tantrum, Principal.
Old 2013-06-09, 17:08

Quote:
Someone forgot their meds today. If OP has a macbook, he's probably not short for money. And even if he is, it pays to shop around. He even said his current macbook "handles everything", so there should be time to save more money, if need be. He shouldn't be sorry for holding out for an i7.

Now carry on with your temper tantrum, Principal.
I have the mid 2009 white model, bought it as the previous version with some discount for 760,- (it was for my study, my parents bought) Anyway i could spend all my money on a mac, but it is also time for my driver license, vacation and paying my school books, and perhaps saving money for the future (less loans) . Also i would like to give the macbook away to my sister for her studie, or dad with his pentium 4 pc.

I don't think i need the power of i7. But i have to agree, well noticed.
Old 2013-06-09, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
+1 for i7 , there is some i5 that are quad so maybe those but i7 will just work better
No, it will NOT work better. It will do EXACTLY the same as the i5. The only difference is that you pay 100 extra for extra horsepower that you don't need.