Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-06-18, 12:37

Record electric piano

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying the Balance and I'm wondering how it performs when recording electric pianos.

I have a Yamaha CP50 and it has a beautiful Grand Piano sound but I'm having such difficulties finding a good way to record it.

Right now I have a cheap crappy USB interface and it's doing a horrible job at it.
I've also tried many other methods but I've never tried using a more expensive high-quality interface.

Could someone with a bit experience with recording pianos with the Balance maybe give me some input about it?

Thanks,
Robin
Old 2013-06-18, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbis View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying the Balance and I'm wondering how it performs when recording electric pianos.

I have a Yamaha CP50 and it has a beautiful Grand Piano sound but I'm having such difficulties finding a good way to record it.

Right now I have a cheap crappy USB interface and it's doing a horrible job at it.
I've also tried many other methods but I've never tried using a more expensive high-quality interface.

Could someone with a bit experience with recording pianos with the Balance maybe give me some input about it?

Thanks,
Robin
First of all, to avoid confusion in the future: electric pianos are like Rhodes and Wurlitzer, Pianos are like Steinway, Yamaha, Baldwin.

What you're asking about is an "electronic keyboard", in your case a "stage piano". These all put out similar levels, electronically speaking, from classic synths to sampled stage pianos.

You need an interface with an "line level" input. Though these can be 1/4" jacks, they are not exactly the same as a guitar input. An ideal interface IMO has the ability to deal with electronic instruments such as your CP50 AND electro mechanical instruments that use a magnetic pickup such as guitars or electric pianos (Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet).

Balance handles all of these quite well IMO, including microphones btw. Hope this helps! :-)
USA
Old 2013-06-19, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
First of all, to avoid confusion in the future: electric pianos are like Rhodes and Wurlitzer, Pianos are like Steinway, Yamaha, Baldwin.

What you're asking about is an "electronic keyboard", in your case a "stage piano". These all put out similar levels, electronically speaking, from classic synths to sampled stage pianos.

You need an interface with an "line level" input. Though these can be 1/4" jacks, they are not exactly the same as a guitar input. An ideal interface IMO has the ability to deal with electronic instruments such as your CP50 AND electro mechanical instruments that use a magnetic pickup such as guitars or electric pianos (Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet).

Balance handles all of these quite well IMO, including microphones btw. Hope this helps! :-)
lol yeah I know saying "piano" is wrong, I didn't think anyone would be so picky :P

So how on earth will I know if an interface has "line level" inputs?
I've never heard of this.

Have you used a Balance to record an electronic keyboard?
Old 2013-06-19, 07:40

Quote:
lol yeah I know saying "piano" is wrong, I didn't think anyone would be so picky :P
That guy being "picky" has probably done more in music than any given 100 other members combined posting here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Reaves

http://resonantfilter.blogspot.com/2...es-reaves.html

IMO, you'll learn a lot more if you leave the snarkiness out of the equation.

ymmv...
Old 2013-06-19, 08:25

Quote:

So how on earth will I know if an interface has "line level" inputs?
I've never heard of this.

Have you used a Balance to record an electronic keyboard?
Sorry to get all "picky" on you. :-(

Balance has line inputs - they are usually labeled as Line In or Line Inputs. I love my Balance, BTW!

Once you get above the entry level devices, they can all sound pretty great on the line inputs. Among other things, it's more the mic preamps, convertors, general noise level and durability that tend to improve with more expensive hardware IMO. :-)
USA