Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-06-18, 18:14

Exclamation Linking Roland V-Drums to Reason (6.5)

Hi there,

I asked some time ago about using a V-Drum set with reason and was told it will work and from all I've seen, it will work - except; I cannot get it to!

I have a Roland TD-11KV drum set and I have this MIDI'd into my Mbox 2 and then into Reason, I really want to be able to link my kit to a Redrum or Kong and I have been told it can be done. Can anyone give any pointers?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 2013-06-18, 19:38

I don't have V-Drums but i have a crappy fame that does it.

It's very important to assign the pads to the correct key, because most drumkits in reason start on C2, so you have to assign each pad to each key starting at C2.

Hooking the Vdrums to reason is the same as hooking a keyboard. Just connect your Vdrums midi out to the midi in of you mbox. Then add a new midi interface in reason and be sure to specify the correct midi input.

To see if reason and the Vdrums are talking correctly, when you hit a pad, the selected track should turn green showing some midi activity. Create a track with a piano (yep, no err, a piano).

Hit record, and start to bang on the V-Drum. Now reason should have created a track with some notes in it, and you can see where they are getting. But at least, at this point you should have connectivity.

On the Vdrums, create a new kit, and define the correct key for each pad (Kick -> C2, snare ->C3 and so on).

That's it. Hope it helps.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2013-06-19, 16:46

Hello, thank you very much for the breakdown. I followed it and still cannot get any Midi signal into Reason. In Pro Tools, it works! So the Drum set is linking with the Mbox fine - it's something inside Reason.

I think it could be a setting in Reason as when I go to set up a new control surface - I choose 'Other' as Roland is not listed and I then choose the correct MIDI input - but nothing! What else can I try?

Thank you again
Old 2013-06-19, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDNstudio View Post
Hello, thank you very much for the breakdown. I followed it and still cannot get any Midi signal into Reason. In Pro Tools, it works! So the Drum set is linking with the Mbox fine - it's something inside Reason.

I think it could be a setting in Reason as when I go to set up a new control surface - I choose 'Other' as Roland is not listed and I then choose the correct MIDI input - but nothing! What else can I try?

Thank you again
Check cables. Midi out from the vdrums, into Midi in on the mbox.

Do not select a Control Surface, select a midi keyboard controller. Control surfaces do not send notes, i think they only send cc controls and the implementation is different.

Hope it helps.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2013-06-27, 20:11

I still couldn't get this to work I am going to have to contact the official support. Thank you for your help thus far.